Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Forum Charter and Resources

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Well since its in the post you quoted, no Im not a member of the SU council, have any dealings with the SU or ever ran for any position.

But since A)Pythia either cant or wont say what difference the info makes and B) People assume that I had a sekrit motive for my posts in this thread, I dont think Im giving ppl less credit than they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Well since its in the post you quoted, no Im not a member of the SU council, have any dealings with the SU or ever ran for any position.

it was in the post that anyone from the UCD forum could have seen had they ventured over to the Feedback forum.
    But since A)Pythia either cant or wont say what difference the info makes

Perhaps it doesnt make any difference to Pythia and perhaps it does. Pythia is just one poster and if one poster is going to be the be-all-and-end-all of your argument then so be it. Nobody else has had a problem with this except you. If you wish to continue this argument with Pythis then I suggest you PM her.
    and B) People assume that I had a sekrit motive for my posts in this thread, I dont think Im giving ppl less credit than they deserve.

To be honest Kaptain Redeye you made such an issue out of this that, yes, people probably did assume you had a secret motive. Hence the reason for absolute clarity on people's positions.

I have made my feelings known on the subject and now everyone else is aware of your position so we can all move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Well I have no affiliations with the union at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I had Vainglory's position last year. Tbh your doing a **** job at it. All my hard work for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Sorry boss :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Actually while we're on the subject, and I seem to be the only one around here who feels this way, I think you're doing a good job JHJ.

Getting the college to back down on forcing modularisation upon 2nd years going into 3rd year this September was a big victory tbh. And it was a battle that had to be fought, seeing as how the administrators never bothered to inform incumbent 2nd and 3rd years(the ones with 4 yr degrees I refer to here) as to whether or not they'd suffer modularisation/semesterisation and what this would mean to their degrees.

So keep it. Better than last year's guy tbh. Don't even remember his name... Seriously.

Wait, Scully was pres, Weafer deputy, Hennelly welfare, Cashman ents... Who was education?
    Anyone???

So keep it. Better than last year's guy tbh. Don't even remember his name... Seriously.

Wait, Scully was pres, Weafer deputy, Hennelly welfare, Cashman ents... Who was education?
    Anyone???

Ask your current president!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Oh yeah...:o

Funny how I subconsciously systematically erased him from my mind innit?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 getyourENDAway

im enda and im running for ents this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

im enda and im running for ents this year

im tintinr35 and im an alcoholic

lets all give enda a big round of applause, your blue peter badge is in the post!! and FYI i can tell u now ur gonna lose!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

tintinr35 wrote:
    im tintinr35 and im an alcoholic

lets all give enda a big round of applause, your blue peter badge is in the post!! and FYI i can tell u now ur gonna lose!! ;)

Awh, why so mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

tintinr35 wrote:
    and FYI i can tell u now ur gonna lose!! ;)

Finding no sympathy for enda.......still looking.......nope, screw him not gettin my vote :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 getyourENDAway

thanks alot!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

Pythia wrote:
    Awh, why so mean?
    i was always taught to speak the truth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

nope i have nothing to do with the union now was a rep years and years and years ago (4 years to be precise) but that was way back when vet was based in outer mongolia and i think we weren't really ucd then or something.

why are we asserting allegiances by the way? i could scroll back but im lazy. im also naughty, but thats another story

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You're also alive, which is nice to see. You've been missed!

On topic - I have no SU affiliations and don't really like politics, but I'm vocal about the things I believe in. (Like Bebo being the bane of any essay-writing student's existence if they need to use a UCD computer.)

Right folks, we have had a number of new members signing up and commenting on the elections. The majority have stated outright their connections on whatever thread they are posting on which is good to see.

For those who haven't can you please let everyone know your affiliation, like with a particular candidate for example.

Thanks.

What ever about the n00bs, 2 long standing posters havent posted here acknowledging there membership of campaign teams??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LilLin

Hey, i have no affiliation to the union, but i do like to know whats going on, and i would just like to point out that council for class reps is open to the general student population of UCD. I mention this in reference to an earlier post stating that most students dont really know much of what goes on in council. As fully paid up members of the UCDSU we are all entitled to attend these meetings, although we dont have speaking rights, unless a councillor awards them to us, it is still a rather interesting place to spend a couple of hours, usually every second wednesday. I think if alot of the posters on these forums attended a couple of council meetings, their general opinions regarding the SU might be altered, as i know mine certainly have. Think about attending a meeting or two, and learning a little bit more about how the SU works, it might help some people make more informed decisions about the union, and if nothing else provide a couple of hours entertainment!! Details of council meetings and their minutes etc. can all be found on the UCDSU website.
    I'd like to wish all the candidates in the upcoming elections the best of luck with their campaigns, and may the best person for each position win!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Class Rep First Year Arts Group E

Sangre wrote:
    like?
    apparently panda and vainglory are on campaign teams, but havet said so in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ah lets just clear up this little mess-when I wrote on this thread initially I wasnt a member of Dans campaign team and to be honest I'm not really.I went to the first meeting of Dans team cos I asked him to put me on his texting list.I left a bit early from the 1st meeting cos I was going on a date(sorry Dan my love life just had to come first:D ).Unfortuantly,I havent made it to any other campaign meetings,I didnt help with the poster race cos I was going to the george hook talk and the only person I have canvassed for is pierce Farell and his constitutinal change.So while I am on the text list for Dans campaign team and went to half of the first meeting I have done nothing to be a official member of the team-I have not put up any posters or handed out manifestos.
    The reasons I havent helped are threefold. First,I have just been mega busy with my own little life,two i've had the flu and third,being most important i suppose.I have been quite vocal over numerous contreversial issues in recent weeks and have acquired what I feel a number of enemys in the Su just for sticking uo for what I believe.I didnt want my bad standing in the union reflect on to Dans race for the presidency.So even though I wanted to help out I havent cos I didnt think it fair on Dan.I didnt want my somewhat tainted image within the union to ruin his chances of winning.So I dont think its fair to say I have been on his campaign team cos attending half an hour of the first meeting doesnt warrant any sort of involvment.People on Dans campaign team I knew from various welfare campaigns from throughout the year,so if I am seen talking wiith them its cos their friends,just like I know people on Enda's and Orla's.
    Saying this I will be handing outtommorrow ,for the first and only time,Dan's manifestos in the terrace.This is a favour for Colm Byrne who is another med on Dan's team and beacuse everyone in med knows each other so they know me and so I wont damage Dans campaign:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

What is the storey with Panda and the Union? Why the hatred?
    Give a quick summary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What is the storey with Panda and the Union? Why the hatred?
    Give a quick summary

Well I suppose its my own fault really.I have critisced a lot of things the union has done this year and have said I suppose not so nice things over these boards about some of the lefties.So I suppose thats why because I can be vocal about what I think I may have ruffled some people's feathers a bit in the union.Anywho,election starts tommorrow so it will all be behind us hopefully!

I can see the benifits of clearity and how it would help someone weigh up the POV of poster A, but we all have our motives and biases and I think we need to acknowledge this and stop saying some else is being sneaky where as Im tailoring my veiw to my own circumstances.

If being a class rep is considered material to SU discussions then I think so is A)having a personal affiliation with certain people being discussed
    B)being a member of a political party

Thats why I think having a seperate thread as a resource is misleading because it implies only one affiliation to be more biased than another, which quite frankly is hypocritical and rediculous. If I were Enda Duffys father dont you think that would be more material to the discussion than being class rep for first nursing.

I suggestion is scrap the thread in favour of the following amendment to the charter:
    "Under the new policy adopted by the admins, anybody who has a special material connection to a person, event or entity being discussed must declare it in their first post of said thread or face bannage. What is or is not material is at the discretion of the mod"

This should apply not only to SU discussions but also societys or bands pimping their events, eg the UCD Ball which I suspect a shill started.

I do actually believe that affiliation thread has lowered the quality of SU discussions.
    Being jewish, black or gay is no reason to be disciminated against, but that doesnt mean noone is discriminated against because of it.
    People have a right to privacy, but as you said yourself, failure to answer a question is usually taken as a sign of guilt.
    Under the above suggestion, nobody would feel compelled to post their affiliations here, if they chose to enter a certain discussion then they would have to declare it there.

I can see the benifits of clearity and how it would help someone weigh up the POV of poster A, but we all have our motives and biases and I think we need to acknowledge this and stop saying some else is being sneaky where as Im tailoring my veiw to my own circumstances.

If being a class rep is considered material to SU discussions then I think so is A)having a personal affiliation with certain people being discussed
    B)being a member of a political party

Thats why I think having a seperate thread as a resource is misleading because it implies only one affiliation to be more biased than another, which quite frankly is hypocritical and rediculous. If I were Enda Duffys father dont you think that would be more material to the discussion than being class rep for first nursing.

I suggestion is scrap the thread in favour of the following amendment to the charter:
    "Under the new policy adopted by the admins, anybody who has a special material connection to a person, event or entity being discussed must declare it in their first post of said thread or face bannage. What is or is not material is at the discretion of the mod"

This should apply not only to SU discussions but also societys or bands pimping their events, eg the UCD Ball which I suspect a shill started.

I do actually believe that affiliation thread has lowered the quality of SU discussions.
    Being jewish, black or gay is no reason to be disciminated against, but that doesnt mean noone is discriminated against because of it.
    People have a right to privacy, but as you said yourself, failure to answer a question is usually taken as a sign of guilt.
    Under the above suggestion, nobody would feel compelled to post their affiliations here, if they chose to enter a certain discussion then they would have to declare it there.

In understand where you're coming from Kaptain Redeye, really I do.

However, the problem with people declaring it as soon as they want to enter the discussion and on the relevant thread is that, quite frankly, it won't be done.

Nobody wanted people being continually asked to declare their affiliations or interests (I seem to recall a post from you declaring it a "witch hunt"). Having a seperate thread was suggested in order to keep the discussions on the threads from being disrupted and to make people aware that the policy was in place.

How many people here actually read the charter? Have you? Honestly? Most people don't because they assume they can just work off common sense and keep themselves out of trouble. Hence the big obvious sticky regarding this specific issue at the top of the page.

If you want me to re-word the original post in that thread to include everything else (although I seriously doubt Enda Duffy's dad will be paying us a visit :p ) then I will. I cited being a member of the SU council as something to be declared however I didn't exactly mean that you only need decalre it if you are directly involved. I assumed people would use their common sense when posting and say if they were involved in some way, whatever that may be.

You keep mentioning the fact that you believe people's posts will be dismissed if they decalre their associations with the union and to be honest Kaptain Redeye there is nothing I can say that I haven't already said to change your opinion. Personally I don't believe that they will be dismissed at all, but thats just my opinion. *shrug*

As for events being pimped, I have no problem with this on the forum once they are events that are organised for the college and by the college. I agree that the Fernando poster appears very suspicious, brand new account and straight away talking about the UCD Ball. The problem is if he is getting paid for this. Its a college event. Is it going to make a profit? I will discuss it with one of the SMods and see what they think about it. Oh and in future, use the report post function if you think a post is dodgy. It'll get dealt with a lot quicker.

Kap, I don't see why you have such a bee in your bonnet about it. If someone can't/won't answer a question straight out, that's their choice, and not the end of the world. People will base their opinions on what they already think they know anyway. If you declare affiliation to someone, and that changes, what happens then? Some people will pick up on the change, others won't - a misguided bias will co-exist with yet another new bias. Some people like to play their cards close to their chest, others don't. If it's not directly affecting you, why does it bother you how they act?

(Jesus, you're all going to be sick of this malarky at this stage) I knew a lot of people on various Sabbat candidate campaign teams. Dan Hayden once played Mario Kart Double Dash in my living room with my housemates because he knew them from home. I know Brian Canny, and some of his campaign team, through society stuff. A cousin of one of my best friends ran Eoghan O'Duinn's campaign. Enda O'Donoghue's campaign manager and some of his campaign team live near me and I'd consider them acquaintences of mine. I knew Kate since last year, also through society stuff. Carol-Anne who is currently running for Women's officer and was involved in Michelle's campaign was at the Arts Ball and her sister gave me a lift home. I had dealings with Holly Irvine. I've known Ray Rowan since first year and once played with his hat in the student centre. I knew Joanne (ran for Pres last year, helped Duffy out) back in first year and know some of her friends. I probably knew plenty more people than that who were running or campaigning for people, I simply don't remember the finer details.

What does ANY of that have to do with what I believe? Very little. I don't see eye to eye politically with a lot of the afforementioned people. I merely have come into contact with them in a social capacity since I started college two and a half years ago. I doubt very much I'm the only one who doesn't believe in what the people they know/know of believe in politically.

Or am I completely missing your point?

Blush_01 wrote:
    Kap, I don't see why you have such a bee in your bonnet about it. If someone can't/won't answer a question straight out, that's their choice, and not the end of the world.

I think this was Kaptain Redeye's original point as to why he shouldn't have to declare anything. I have asked for it due to an incident that happened last year where a poster was asked if he had any association and he said no. (theres a link int he first post on this thread)

During the threads at the start of the election season it was causing disruption in asking each poster. This thread was suggested as it would provide clarity and not cause interruption to the flow of the debate.

Its something that I'm asking people to do and most people seem to have had no problem in doing it - and that includes people involved and not involved. If someone doesnt say on this thread that they are a class rep for example and then post on another thread about something SU related, are asked if they have any involvement in the SU council that would allow them to have such information or whatever, and they say no....thats where the problems arise. (I know I'm not being very coherent but its late and I'm shattered). This thread is here to save all of that. People can just say where they stand if they are going to get involved.

I know its not a perfect way of doing it and I know that there will be those posting who may have other connections, but I don't see what other way to do it tbh. I expect people to be honest but I can't force them and this is the most non-instrusive way to do it as far as i can see.

I guess I just expect people to use a bit of common sense in their discussions on the issue. The SU has always been a subject that causes much debate on the forum and I think out and out clarity is the best way to go. But again, thats up to everyone else. I'm not going to start going all dictator-like on the issue and start handing out bans.

Oh and as for the "shill".....its a post relevent to the forum and he's harldy going to making any cash from it so I don't see the problem tbh.

• Advertisement

Thanks for clearing that up, I was getting really confused up to that point. I had everything backwards.

I agree that there's no perfect way of doing things, and declaring a position on the Union shouldn't be a big deal, if you ran and got elected you should have enough pride in the position you wanted to be open about it - nobody says you have to say which rep you are, just that you are one. People tend to figure those things out anyway. That said, going into detail would be mental, and banning people on the basis that they didn't declare that they held a poster for someone while they tore off a piece of sellotape (extreme, perhaps nonsensical, but entirely possible) would then be possible. Particularly coming up to elections people could use it as a weapon against people they knew and didn't like, if they were that manipulative and vindictive - politics can do nasty things to people.

I'm all for preservation of the status quo, as opposed to the status quo ante. *smacks self*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement