Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Forum Charter and Resources

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Blush_01 wrote:
    nobody says you have to say which rep you are, just that you are one.

Exactly.

This shouldn't be such a big deal and I honestly thought that it was all sorted. I think the issue arose at the beers when a poster mentioned that they had canvassed for Enda Duffy but didn't declare it on the thread. The poster in question had made it very clear that he was voting for Duffy so I don't see too much a problem there. *waits for more accusations of double standards*

Its just common sense really.

(I really hope we can let this lie now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Oh and as for the "shill".....its a post relevent to the forum and he's harldy going to making any cash from it so I don't see the problem tbh.

I know :)
    Presuming for a minitue and the poster is invoved in the ball. Though not in a capacity to gain financially from the success of the ball, his/her reputation is on the line. Theres a lot of credit and praise to be had if the ball goes well. It may form an important part of a future CV or election manefesto. So theres something to be gained.
    As I suggested in feedback shills aint that bad. They advertise a service. Without them maybe we wouldnt be discussing the UCD ball. Those who arent interested have said so, and a couple shrewd people will usually spot them so theres little harm.
    I cant see the future Dev does where you cant get an honest opinion on the internet, give the invisible hand time to work. If competeing firms are using shills then noone really has an advantage.
    As I keep saying :), If someone has a valid point what does it matter what affiliation they have, a point is either valid or its not. But I dont think I should bother trying to convince anyone of that anymore.
    The potential problem with shills imo isnt the honesty factor but the noise factor. If every second thread were a stupid plug. Thats what killed usenet, not that there was spam, but the sheer volume of it. I would imagine that forums could be organised and regulated in a way to control this problem though. If the UCD forum got to the stage where every soc was advertising every event in a new thread every day, creating a "whats on" subforum would do the trick.

But I dont think anyone on that feedback thread would appreciate that view, is it just my imagination or does the above in fact make sense?

PS. Yeah, status quo and Ill stop complaining, and Im not looking for anything to be done over the UCD ball thread, Im just trying to further my arguement that some people on boards may be overreacting to the shill problem or focusing on the wrong part of the problem.

Exactly.
    *waits for more accusations of double standards*
    Sorry.
    Its just common sense really.

There is no such thing as common sense, only that which you've learned so long ago you cant remember not knowing it or that you learnt through experience and didnt realise you learnt it.
    I consider most things i do on a computer common sense, I consider l33t sp34k common sense, but its not all that common, is it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I consider l33t sp34k common sense

You do realise that any previous argument you have made has just been completely negated by that one statement! :p

l337 sp34k is bad, mmmkay! *shudder*

But no in all seriousness, I do see your point. Although it might not have seemed it, the idea behind it was to prevent big deal happening over it but sure, such is life.

At least we got a good debate going ;) (ok so it was just between ourselves, but still!)

I really like the "Whats On" idea. I don't think we'd get a subforum for it but we could definitely have a thread on it where posters can let people know whats heppening. I could get out the dreaded stickyness again and I could snip it every few weeks so the people aren't trawling through pages and pages of conversation to try and find out whats happening. Could be worthwhile and keep the forum tidy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

some people on boards may be overreacting.

Overreacting?On the UCD boards?Never!!

was actually refering to a specific feedback thread on shills. But after reading feedback again, I must admit the shill problem is greater (volume wise) than I though.

l337 sp34k is bad, mmmkay! *shudder*

You should se scraggs bebo page, were talking |-|@|2|) (0|23 |33+ $|o3@|<

I was thinking that a whats on sticky would be usefull, just one post per event, any discussion take it to a new thread. The subforum would be for the distant future where armys of shills roam the internet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Dreading dragging this thread back from the dead, i know it'll lead to arguments again! but...

My friend Sinead Monaghan is running for Arts PRO, and has asked me to be on her campaign team. so in the interests of fairness and all that lark, i'm letting you all know! she's a fellow world aider!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Business and Law Patrick Rath
    Science Jane Tiernan
    Arts Paul Lynam and Chris Bond

ILO Donal O'Sullivan
    Finance O Stephen Quinlivan
    Womens O Carol Anne Rushe
    Comm and IT Gary Redmond

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Just to say it here too, current Outlying Faculties Officer and 2nd Med Class Rep. Also Health Sciences Programme Officer elect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Byrno is so important!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Chakar the banned they call him...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement