Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Santini resigns!

• 05-11-2004 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Due to personal reasons

Just breaking news

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Just heard it on RTE News, he resigned due to personal reasons. Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's a shock.

But from the start he wasn't getting on with Frank Arnesen, the director of football there, anyway. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Spurs Website story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I think it is more to do with the fact that Spurs are heading down south;)
    SANTINI RESIGNS FROM SPURS

Tottenham manager Jacques Santini has left the club for personal reasons after just 13 games in charge.

In a statement, Santini said: "My time at Tottenham has been memorable, and it is with deep regret that I take my leave. Private issues in my personal life have arisen which caused my decision.

"I have therefore requested to return to France. I very much hope that the wonderful fans will respect my decision.

"I should like to thank (sporting director) Frank Arnesen and (chairman) Daniel Levy for their understanding. I wish the club and the supporters all the best for the season."

Spurs' sporting director Frank Arnesen added: "We are obviously disappointed that Jacques is leaving us. We fully respect his decision. I can assure you that the club will act swiftly to minimise the impact of Jacques' departure.

"Our priority is to ensure that this season's performance remains unaffected by this move. I shall make a further statement on Monday clarifying our position. We wish Jacques well."

Martin Jol, first assistant coach, will take charge of the team for Saturday's game against Charlton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

can the threads me merged ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Strewth! No point in speculating what the personal reasons might be except to say his wife might have realised London is not for her! Rafa Benitiez only said yes after his wife said okay. Line up the usual suspects please...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote:
    Line up the usual suspects please...
    gladly

Megson, Robson x 2, Strachan, Houllier, Klinsmann, Voller.

Add more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

seansouth wrote:
    gladly

Add more.
    i'd say they are the main ones alright but i doubt they'd give it to houllier

i didnt see him resigning after 13 games, tis a real shock imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

seansouth wrote:
    gladly

Add more.

Bring on klinsmann he is already a god there. Christian Gross comes to mind in regards to Santini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

David O'Leary still hasn't signed his new contract. Plenty of the young British talent that gives him such a hard on at White Hart Lane too.

I doubt he'd be into having Arnesen looking over his shoulder though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well as an Arsenal fan I have a wry smile on my face. But surprised that he quit it must be something serious to do with his private life to prompt this. Maybe the French have coaxed him back to the National job given all the disquiet with his replacement in that job.

Its going to be interesting to hear what the actual reason was. I thought he was doing a good job at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That was very sudden. I'd add Van Gaal's name to the list of usual subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Stiltskin

Current betting is Jol 2/1, Curbishley 4/1, O Neill 6/1, Houllier 12/1.

Santini got a lot of flak when refusing to pay tribute to Bill Nicholson in a post match interview. Could have been the straw that broke the camel's back if tensions were already running high behind the scenes.

Wouldn't mind seeing us go for Redknapp myself.

Absolute catastrophe....we spend around a full year looking for him, we bring him in , hire all his staff and then he goes and jumps ship!

We're without a manager again :rolleyes: unbelievable!

A fanciful thought had crossed my mind only this morning that we might finish the season without him as , just recently, he was moaning continually about the lack of depth in the squad.

Did he really go for personal reasons or did he realise just what he had got himself into.....I bet David Pleat is having a wry smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Curbishley 4/1 not bad odds he's a good manager as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

What a weekend to pick for my first trip over to WHL this season...

Can't say I'll be sorry to see the negative defensive lob-the-ball-to-Atouba-on-the-left tactics we've employed since he took over go with him, but I did feel that was a reaction to the resources available at the time and the need to get the team defending as a unit. Once he had a chance to identify creative players I felt Santini would start to introduce a more pleasing on the eye playing style, with positive results. Now I'll never know...

Apparently there was a lot of tension surrounding the signing of Carrick (Santini didn't want him), and the role of Arnensen was a problem as well. I also read that Santini wasn't happy that Jol was appointed as his assistant because he'd brough his own assistant from France with him.

Ho hum, just par for the course with Spurs really. Another wasted season methinks...

Oh, meant to add.

Please be Curbishley or O'Neill as his replacement.

Please be Curbishley or O'Neill as his replacement.

Curbishley would be lost at a bigger club like Spurs.....Martin O'Neill would be a great appointment. Whoever they get though is going to have to accept to work with Arnesen and Jol.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

This, to me, is an even greater shock than the departure of Bobby Robson.

It will be interesting to see how quickly Spurs replace him, especially after how long they waited to get him in the first place.

Speaking as a Villa fan, I don't think O'Leary will leave us to take his place - not until he has proven that he is capable of taking Villa on to better things.

If Gordon Strachan doesn't put himself forward for the job, we can presume that he'll be a pundit for life.

I think this is the break that Alan Curbishly or Steve Bruce have been waiting for, and I do think that they should be seriously considered for the post.

What a weekend to pick for my first trip over to WHL this season...

You never know it may be a good thing....at least you've a good chance of getting the inside track on the whole thing while the rest of us remain in the dark......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its a shame - I'm a Gunners man myself, but felt he was doing a decent job across the road - certainly there was more light at the end of the tunnel than in recent years.

A few selections suprised me though - he had a habit of playing Robbie Keane in a midfield holding role & Jermaine Defoe sometimes didn't even feature.

As for Carrick - must have been a serious clash there - I cant believe injury was the only reason behing him not playing.

One would also wonder about the impact of his snub to Bill Nicholson recently - love em or hate em, Spurs are passionate about their history & it must have been a real kick in the teeth when he didn't bother his backside to turn up to the press conference.

Well, in the door a while noe from WHL, what a match to take in on quite a momentous weekend for the club.

Simply awful for the first half, passing was atrocious, defense was static, Keane played out of position. Ziegler was introduced at the start of the 2nd half to good effect, replacing an out of form Simon Davies. Of course, conceding goal number 3 so soon after the restart didn't help...

The introduction of Michael Carrick was a turning point. Replaced Redknapp (booed off the pitch, I don't expect him to start another league match this season based on that display), he brought some much needed poise to the middle of the park. Not one pass out of place for his time on the pitch, and because he could be relied on to keep possession, he allowed Pedro Mendes to become so much more influential. Keane also moved from left midfield to centre forward, and by the end of the match we had Naybet up making it a front 4!!! We were unlucky not to get a draw in the end, considering Kanoute hit the post earlier in the match, but based on that last 25 minutes things can, and will, get better.

On the Santini front...Arnensen was interviewed in the match build up, and naturally asked about the situation. He alluded to the fact that Santini's problem was ongoing and that he was aware of it for a while. He also said something like "we wish him all the best in dealing with his problem" which sounded like he had some non-footballing situation to deal with. I've a feeling Mrs. Santini told him "its me or the job". I hope she's a looker...

Lessons from today? Carrick and Ziegler have to start from now on, and we need to get Edman back to fitness (Bunjevcevic is no full back). Redknapp should not be picked again, and lobbing the ball to Kanoute all the time when he's on his own is pointless.

Advertisement