Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvey Norman wannabe

• 05-11-2004 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

On today FM and probably other stations, Opel have this ad that takes the piss out of Harvey norman.. every now and again the guy slips into Harveys voice saying "SENSATIONAL!" :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

heard it. fair funny. but the ad is nowhere near as classy as harvey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭eoin_f

is it possible to complain to anybody about his bloody irritating voice in that add, have to change the radio station every time the ad comes on, is a hazard to driving, think i have a case ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

heard it earlier whats the song you want it you got it at harvey norman

woosaysdan wrote:
    heard it earlier whats the song you want it you got it at harvey norman
    GO HARVEY, GO HARVEY, GO HARVEY NORMAN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Prefer the original song myself (when I say prefer, I mean prefer in the fact it was so unapologetically cheesey). The one that sounded like a bunch of cheerleaders going, "GO HARVEY, GO HARVEY, GO HARVEY NORMAN!"

Heard that Opel ad as well. Funny to hear one ad spoofing another. I wonder will Harvey Norman take any legal action against Opel over this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

The Guy that does the adds actually works there ! Honest !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

sharkman, please tell me you're joking! :eek:

If that's the case, I'm making a note to never, ever go to Harvey Norman's. Can you just imagine looking at a telly or something in there and have that guy approach you. He'd start talking at a hundred miles an hour telling you all the features of the telly, whilst dropping in the word "SENSATIONAL!" every few seconds.

"This SENSATIONAL 28" widescreen TV comes with SENSATIONAL Nicam digital stereo and SENSATIONAL Fastext. It also has two SENSATIONAL SCART inputs in addition to these SENSATIONAL composite video/audio input jacks. I think you gotta agree with me, sir, that this is one SENSATIONAL television."

Cue one very scared customer running for the nearest exit! :D

No REALLY he does . Not gonna tell you his name , BUT he DOES ..

didnt ray darcy have him on his show a while back??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

sharkman wrote:
    No REALLY he does . Not gonna tell you his name , BUT he DOES ..

Let me guess. Is it Bruce?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

eoin_f wrote:
    is it possible to complain to anybody about his bloody irritating voice in that add, have to change the radio station every time the ad comes on, is a hazard to driving, think i have a case ??

I heard somewhere it got voted most annoying ad on the radio by listeners? Not surprising...

I always find it funny to hear people singing a theme in the background on radio ads - it means a load of real people had to actually go into a studio and be recorded singing something ridiculous. I always picture that any time I hear one of those ads :D

The Muppet wrote:
    Let me guess. Is it Bruce?
    or Lance?

Would you believe me if I said his name was ............Gary .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

sharkman wrote:
    Would you believe me if I said his name was ............Gary .

Nope

not a chance!!! i bet its norman, norman harvey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Bikes and Babies rip off the add as well. It begins like the Harvey Norman ads but a voice says 'Beat it Harvey, everyone know you get the best value at bikes and babies'

i havnt heard that one what station is it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Spin is the only one Iv'e heard it played on

Bikes and Babies rip off the add as well. It begins like the Harvey Norman ads but a voice says 'Beat it Harvey, everyone know you get the best value at bikes and babies'
    just goes to show how well known the harvey ad is if people are ripping it off.

harveys class imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

The name in marketing of this phenomenon is "marketing dedifferentiation".

Usually done by companies with a weak identitity and a total lack of imagination.

Look at the way Dunnes copy M&S packaging on their foodstuffs.

Hundreds of examples. Well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Advertisement