Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Danny Carey Vs. Mike Portnoy

Options
  • 05-11-2004 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭

Well, who's better and why? I can't make up my mind, but I'm leaning towards Portnoy...

Danny Carey Vs. Mike Portnoy 19 votes

Danny Carey
    0% 0 votes
    Mike Portnoy
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Mmm, Carey is nicely mathematical in his drumming but Portnoy is just insane. Ah, it'll be Portnoy for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Mike Portnoy easily for me,,,great technique and imagination around the kit...and after all Neil Peart is his idol and inspiration and it shows!

ciao' amigos Baggio...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Wellll...Portnoy does seem to be even better than Carey, but as a band member, Carey is clearly better - he's a key player in Tool, many (including me) would say he's the driving force. And where he loses on pure skill, he gains in technical and mathematical proficiency, and overall intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I prefer Carey's style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Sean Reinert.

After him I'd probably go for Portnoy but any funny business and he'd get the smackdown ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

mp3guy wrote:
    Well, who's better and why? I can't make up my mind, but I'm leaning towards Portnoy...

Portnoy for me man!!
    Savage Drummer

Macker

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Id go for Portnoy myself, superb drummer, but if the choice was there Pete Sandoval simply runs rings around the pair of em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

seems the carey voters aren't saying why, how many people here have actually heard BOTH drummers?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Got to be Portnoy. The guy has it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

mp3guy wrote:
    seems the carey voters aren't saying why, how many people here have actually heard BOTH drummers?

Me. Ive heard Carey more, but what I've heard of Portnoy is better.

12 tom roll? Muhahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i think portnoy may be better technically, but id go for carey cus he knows when to throw in that killer drum fill or role.some of the greatest drumming ive heard are on the patient, the grudge and stinkfist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 theyellowdart12

oh hi all, heheh hi mp3guy, what did i say! eh i told u id vote on this some day and hey! here i am , well its daney all the way! WOOT! hes fantastic , i know mike is good, but have u ever just blanked out and just listened to daney.............i do all the time, it sometimes puts me to sleep, or i blank out and tis great fun , but iv made my point just listen to ticks or leeches or parabola or reflection or intolerance or...... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

i was gonna vote for carey, but then didn't cos i haven't heard any of portnoy's stuff
    which dream theater album(s) should i get?
    i'l make my mind up then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭IamtheKing

Danny Careys winning! Aw man, for me mike portnoy wins by a mile. He's so technically brilliant it boggles the mind. (Literally, my head hurts)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

I would pick carey from those two, but neither are nowhere near my top 5:
    Brad Wilk (RATM)
    BIll Ward (Black Sabbath)
    Dave Grohl
    Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta)
    Brad Wilk (Yes I know hes in here twice, hes that good :D)

They're not in any type of order, just the drummers who've influenced me to become a better drummer.

I would pick carey from those two, but neither are nowhere near my top 5:
    Brad Wilk (RATM)
    BIll Ward (Black Sabbath)
    Dave Grohl
    Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta)
    Brad Wilk (Yes I know hes in here twice, hes that good :D)

They're not in any type of order, just the drummers who've influenced me to become a better drummer.

Dave Grohl? you can't be serious, he doesn't even use double base... :p

Don't knock Dave Grohl. His musicality is excellent, and that's big part of being a great drummer too.

mp3guy wrote:
    Dave Grohl? you can't be serious, he doesn't even use double base... :p

he uses a double kick pedal, u only need one kickdrum 4 that.

it doesn't matter how many drums are in a drummers drumkit that makes them good (portnoy and carey have about a zillion drums each :P), its what he/she can do their drums, imho :)

he uses a double kick pedal, u only need one kickdrum 4 that.

where did ya hear that?
    he definitely didn't for Nirvana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Probot, edson.

• Advertisement

oh right yeah, only heard about 2 of their songs, didn't think there was a need to buy the whole album

well, portnoy has a 23 piece including his 5 china drums, carey has about a 12 piece. And portnoy uses a double bass pedal on each bass drum, so thats like quadrupal bass.

euch , je suis malade! oh yeah ,. no daneys better , its just the natural way of things.........like eh. teh way u cant stop ur head dripping when ur sick.....i hate being sick

mp3guy wrote:
    ..... portnoy uses a double bass pedal on each bass drum, so thats like quadrupal bass.

serious? didnt know that.
    so what does he, like, hav 4 legs or sumtin? :p

mp3guy wrote:
    well, portnoy has a 23 piece including his 5 china drums, carey has about a 12 piece. And portnoy uses a double bass pedal on each bass drum, so thats like quadrupal bass.

But they laws of physics dictate he has only 4 limbs with which to hit them. Does he really need a 23 piece kit? Of course not, he could probably strip at least half of it away and still sound just the same, the stupidly large kit is just opulance. A big kit definitely does not mean a good drummer (and often indicates a mediocre one, sadly) in the same way a huge gold chain does not equal a great rapper. Very often the better drummers will make greater use of less drums (I would steer you towards looking at the setup of some jazz drummers who would make Portnoy sound like the duracell bunny).

yeah but its incase hes on one side of the kit and he has to use the double bass...but then u could say just dont have such a big kit. daney learned how to drum jazz style before he moved on. his former teacher plays the bongos on the live push1t :D lol im such a tool fan,

Doctor J wrote:
    But they laws of physics dictate he has only 4 limbs with which to hit them. Does he really need a 23 piece kit? Of course not, he could probably strip at least half of it away and still sound just the same, the stupidly large kit is just opulance. A big kit definitely does not mean a good drummer (and often indicates a mediocre one, sadly) in the same way a huge gold chain does not equal a great rapper. Very often the better drummers will make greater use of less drums (I would steer you towards looking at the setup of some jazz drummers who would make Portnoy sound like the duracell bunny).

Yeah, on LTE2 he only has about an 8 piece and is still great. A 23 piece, well he hardly plays all of them, but it gives variation. And you can't say the just best portnoy has a big kit hes "medicore", he's far from it.

No, I wasn't referring to Portnoy, just making the point that big kits mean nothing and shouldn't be used to gauge how good or bad a drummer is...

yes, you're right. Like that guy from blink 182, he's really good and got a small kit, except he's in a band to bad to listen too.. for me anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

For me its carey. There both amazing but i prefer Danny, his all round style is more varied and i think he is more creative using different time signature more effectively than portnoy. Just look at any song on lateralus or any of TOOL's albums!!!!
    Also TOOL are better than (to me) than dream theater or LTE

Advertisement