Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will succeed Bush?

Options
  • 05-11-2004 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

There is already some talk about Jeb Bush running next time round. John Edwards didn't do his reputation any harm and will probably be the Democrats candidate unless Mrs. Clinton decides to run. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Any thoughts?
    Yes. Please stop, my head is about to explode. You'd swear we are Americans. 4 Years from now we could all be controlled by Giant Ants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jeb said he wouldn't run in 2008 on October 17. Mind you he would say that wouldn't he

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

My one hope is that the Republicans tie themselves in knots over the next four years trying to outdo each other in an attempt to secure backing for a 2008 Presidential campaign. I expect there to be a lot of Congressional and Senate Republicans making themselves more visible, and possibly clashing with the White House in the process.

Let them tear each other apart, then the Dems sneak in for a 2008 win says I...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I can't see them allowing it TBH, can you see the Christian Right supporting a tolerant Republican? ;)

Seriously, I wish McCain had survived the character assassination from the Bush campaigh four years ago and got to stand against Gore in 2000. That would have been an interesting election...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd imagine Guilliani is indeed too liberal for the Republicans. Also, even if there was a Constitutional change, I can't ever see Arnie running - he's "liberal" (eww! spit!) enough to be a Democrat. Wouldn't it be fun if they ran Condoleeza Rice against Hilary Clinton? Battle of the iron-willed bitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Can Arnie run? I thought you had to be born in America to run for president. Hopefully Hilary Clinton will be next.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Simi wrote:
    Can Arnie run? I thought you had to be born in America to run for president.
    No he can't. That's why I said "even if there's a Constitutional change" which, by the way, I doubt Republicans would let happen. Can we see them letting Johnny Foreigner have say in the ruling of the greatest country in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AFAIK, Arnie can't run for president. Not sure that I'd call Guilliani a "moderate" either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Can't see it being Jeb Bush at all. He's not particularly prominent apart from being the brother of George. Rudy would be a good choice for Republicans, I think he's on record as saying that he feels he's too old, but if he's willing to accept it he's the obvious candidate, and I think most people would welcome him.

On the democrat side it really is hard to look past Hillary, but four years can be a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

If Jeb Bush ran - I would not be surprised.

Hillary Clinton will not be the next President of the US. The Democrats need to get somebody from Mid America.

Hillary Clinton has geography aganist her. The democrats could do worse than starting the search.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hillary Clinton has more than just geography against her - her surname is Clinton far starters and thats like a red rag to a bull as far as Republicans are concerned. The election just gone was one of the most divisive ever, but it would be the epitome of civilised behaviour in comparison to what will happen in 2008 if the Democrats put Hillary up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

zaph wrote:
    Hillary Clinton has more than just geography against her - her surname is Clinton far starters and thats like a red rag to a bull as far as Republicans are concerned. The election just gone was one of the most divisive ever, but it would be the epitome of civilised behaviour in comparison to what will happen in 2008 if the Democrats put Hillary up.

I actually think as far as geography is concerned, Mark Warner, governor of Virginia, would be a great choice. I have to say, however, I haven't heard him mentioned in any Democratic circles. I would also be very happy with either McCain or Giuliani.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

BuffyBot wrote:
    AFAIK, Arnie can't run for president.

True, but things change. There is a motion to repeal that requirement.

Schwarznegger vs. Clinton 2008/12!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

I've heard lots of rumors about Hillary running in 2008. There also seems to be lot of buzz about Barack Obama ,the senator from illinois. He's still relatively young,(43?) but I cant help but wonder if the dems are grooming him to be the first black president.He can sure put on a pretty speech anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

After having a chat with a friend of mine from Chicago tonight I can see the Dems going for an Edwards/Obama president/vice-president thing. Edwards was impressive (in an above mediocre kind of way) in the election and has the southern working class background that's needed to connect with the south. Plus he has better hair than any previous president. They'll walk in with "We're taking the smoking ruined wasteland back" type slogans. Then again, Obama would probably be wasted as vp cos it's a bit of a crappy job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

True, but things change. There is a motion to repeal that requirement.

Schwarznegger vs. Clinton 2008/12!!!
    Now that would be an interesting election contest.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Plus he has better hair than any previous president.
    I though the Dems had it wrapped up this time with Kerry (tall) and Edwards (good hair), but it seems like irrational religious issues dominated the debate.

SkepticOne wrote:
    I though the Dems had it wrapped up this time with Kerry (tall) and Edwards (good hair), but it seems like irrational religious issues dominated the debate.
    In addition to vote rigging and nobody caring about military records.

I've spoken with some Americans I know, the majority of whom are Republican, and they've told me that in their view Barack Obama would be a very good candidate for the Democrats next time round. He seems to be well regarded by both sides, although I suspect his relative youth might go against him.

• Advertisement

zaph wrote:
    I've spoken with some Americans I know, the majority of whom are Republican, and they've told me that in their view Barack Obama would be a very good candidate for the Democrats next time round. He seems to be well regarded by both sides, although I suspect his relative youth might go against him.
    He'll be 47 in 2008, the same age Clinton was when he won. It's his skin colour that will go against him, not his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

zaph wrote:
    I've spoken with some Americans I know, the majority of whom are Republican, and they've told me that in their view Barack Obama would be a very good candidate for the Democrats next time round.
    But would they vote for him?
    Redleslie2 wrote:
    He'll be 47 in 2008, the same age Clinton was when he won.
    I think the trend will be towards younger presidents (& prime ministers etc.). The old warriors won't get the job anymore.
    It's his skin colour that will go against him, not his age.
    Indeed, but perhaps this is why he's slated for VP, not the real job, so as to test the water.

As the old fogeys said about the slip of a lass in the short skirt "If she gets the job there'll be no work done here."

Originally posted by Redleslie2

He'll be 47 in 2008, the same age Clinton was when he won.

Dunno why, but for some reaso I thought he was younger than that.

Originally posted by Victor

But would they vote for him?

Unlikely, they are Republicans after all, but I got the impression that his candidacy wouldn't galvanise the conservative vote in the same way thet Kerry's did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

There will be no successor to Bush for the day of rapture is at hand with the elect being gathered up onto heaven and the unrighteous (that's you, boardsters btw) being cast down even onto the fiery pit.

For truly Bush is the tool of the Lord!

Say it brother!

Obama would make a great candidate and he will probably be a future President, but I think the next election might be a little early for him. It's not that he's young specifically, but he does looke young and has only appeared in the public eye very recently. I really can't see race being an issue with anything but a tiny percentage of voters.

I think Arnie will very likely to be the Republican's next candidate given his popularity in CA. There is just the constitutional issue to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

zaph wrote:
    I've spoken with some Americans I know, the majority of whom are Republican, and they've told me that in their view Barack Obama would be a very good candidate for the Democrats next time round.

Yeah, but when the Democrat Primaries were on this time round, an awful lot of Republicans had an awful lot of nice things to say about why Kerry was the best choice for the Dems, with Edwards as a credible second.

Once the actual ticket was written, the tone changed, and all of a sudden, Kerry was the biggest joke of a candidate that could possibly have been chosen, and Edwards was one step short of an insult as a running-mate.

Now, I understand game-theory as well as the next applied mathematician, but whenever someone from one of two polarised parties tells me that X is a good choice for the other party....I'm suspicious.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Yeah, but when the Democrat Primaries were on this time round, an awful lot of Republicans had an awful lot of nice things to say about why Kerry was the best choice for the Dems, with Edwards as a credible second.

Once the actual ticket was written, the tone changed, and all of a sudden, Kerry was the biggest joke of a candidate that could possibly have been chosen, and Edwards was one step short of an insult as a running-mate.

Now, I understand game-theory as well as the next applied mathematician, but whenever someone from one of two polarised parties tells me that X is a good choice for the other party....I'm suspicious.

jc

Weren't Joe Lieberman and Dick Gephard the two candidates Republicans had favourable opinions of? Far as I can remember they were, but Kerry was considered a reasonable choice thanks to 'anyone but Dean' attitudes.
    Obviously both parties will criticise the opposing candidate at whatever opportunity they get, that doesn't mean ordinary people who consider themselves republican are suddenly going to start hating a candidate because their party tells them to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Justin Barrett

The Second Coming will be in about three years. I'll give you lot one guess as to who will lead the free world in four years time.

Advertisement