Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will succeed Bush?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The Second Coming will be in about three years. I'll give you lot one guess as to who will lead the free world in four years time.
    You scare me. Is this really your web-site? Are you a real politician and are those your real opinions? On one hand you attack immigration...and on the other you worry about the low birth rates in Europe.....ummm what's wrong with having immigration boost our population?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Redleslie2 wrote:
    Then again, Obama would probably be wasted as vp cos it's a bit of a crappy job.

Dick Cheney's enjoying himself at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

Dick Cheney's enjoying himself at the moment...

I think Obama would be a fine choice, provided he votes somewhat moderately during his tenure as a senator. He is able to connect to people when he speaks and he is very likeable from what I've seen. I still think that a governor from a more conservative red-blue border state (like Mark Warner of Virginia) would be the best choice of all.

One of the biggest problems with Hillary is that compared to her, John Kerry is a very personable, likable guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

BattleBoar wrote:
    I think Obama would be a fine choice, provided he votes somewhat moderately during his tenure as a senator. He is able to connect to people when he speaks and he is very likeable from what I've seen.

He's being interviewed on CNBC Europe as I'm writing this and he comes over very well and I agree he would be a fine choice - he'd get my vote anyway if I was a US voter.

However I think he's a bit of a none-starter as a presidential candidate because too many stupid rednecks would get "Obama" confused with "Osama"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Essey

ixoy wrote:
    I'd imagine Guilliani is indeed too liberal for the Republicans. Also, even if there was a Constitutional change, I can't ever see Arnie running - he's "liberal" (eww! spit!) enough to be a Democrat. Wouldn't it be fun if they ran Condoleeza Rice against Hilary Clinton? Battle of the iron-willed bitches!

Wow your the 3rd person I've heard say Condie and Hilary! Hilary will almost surely run, probably John Edwards also. Arnie cant - he is a foreigner, Guilliani and Mc Cain. I'd put my money on Guilliani.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Arnie vs Hilary would be very interesting/entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

With the "Traditional Christian Values" brigade having thoroughly thumped the "use the Internet" brigade in this election.....

Why do people think the Dem's are going to suddenly turn all radical in 4 years and make a play for the first female president? I mean...seriously...isn't that just asking for another stomping?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Yea.. Despite the US claiming its equality for all (Hah!) I can't see a black, female or jewish president in the whitehouse in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Hobbes wrote:
    Yea.. Despite the US claiming its equality for all (Hah!) I can't see a black, female or jewish president in the whitehouse in my lifetime.

its equality for all white men don't you know

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If the Dems put a female/black/gay/jewish candidate forward, they'd have a good chance of winning back the voters who were borderline but voted Bush because Kerry didn't represent anything in their eyes. Not just a token non-white-male either, a serious candidate with concrete issues.
    There's no point trying to win the bible-basher vote, it'll go to Bush either way. Winning back the centre and motivating the youth has to be their priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If the Dems put a female/black/gay/jewish candidate forward, they'd have a good chance of winning back the voters who were borderline but voted Bush because Kerry didn't represent anything in their eyes.

It also gives them a good change of losing any voters who stand against whatever platform they choose.

The chauvinists won't vote for women, the anti-Semites won't vote for Jews, the racists won't vote for non-caucasian....and so on.

Now...I'm not saying that these people make up a large percentage of the vote...I'm just saying they exist and cannot be discounted. Almost every strategy to win votes also costs votes (e.g. if I was a War-supporting Republican, Bush's Christian Values-focussed platform would have made me not vote for him*). Talking about winning back votes only makes sense when you look at the costs and conclude that there will still be a net gain.....a level of detail I haven't seen a single Hilary-supporter go to yet.

jc

*cue cries of me being anti-Christian, or something...

Advertisement