Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC mag's

Options
  • 29-04-2000 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭

Im going to start getting one. Im looking for one that has a good mix of software, hardware and games, and aimed towards the more experienced PC users market (not one of those "learn how to open your CD drive ones").
    And just out of curiousity, did anybody else get a free sample PC magazine in the post during the week? At Home With Your PC. I got one and I dont have a clue how they got my name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

I think CVG (Computer and video games) is one of the bst mags out there.Altho probably not what you're looking for paladin.They do all formats but i wish they had more info on the multiplayer aspect of things.Nothing much on hardware in it either.Err....why did i post this. biggrin.gif

2o-4o
    I OwN j00!
    2040.gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Check out PC Plus. I haven't gotten it in a while but if it's still as good as it was then it's the one to go for.

The software on the cover CD's is just fantastic, especially if you're into Linux. There's nearly always 2 full programs on the cover CD's. There's lots of coding articles and some very good reviews of software and hardware. I think this months one is out on DVD so there's probably a whole lot more on the disc.

It's fairly expensive at about £7 but it's well worth it. And it's not one of those mags with 40 pages of ads then a two page article then another 40 pages of ads.

If that's not your style then go for PC Answers, made by the same crowd, but kinda geared at people who are into fiddling about with their PC's and getting the most out of them.

My buddy swears by it smile.gif

Other than those two everything else I've bought is utter sh|te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

I like Edge for its reviews and stuff,
    PC Plus for the harware reviews and more serious program details and trials,
    PC Zone for the game demos.

OK, so I'm not much help. Sorry smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Bought a copy of PC Plus. Pretty good. Not for games tho frown.gif
    Will keep looking smile.gif tnx all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Last week I bought three Irish computer magazines. In order from most interesting to least interesting they were:
    • dot.ie
    • PC Live!
    • Irish Computer

John.
    --

Where do you want to go inniu?

• Advertisement

There was an irish gaming mag out before.The first time i got it it had info on quake.ie.Does anyone know what it was called and if its still out?

I OwN j00!
    2040.gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Paladin, get PC Format, that has the best mix of the stuff you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I know of one Irish games mag - G4 - comes out every 2 months or so. I don't know if that's the one 2040's referring to.

- Munch
    - Visit The Fortress
    SoF Clan site

Thats the one munch!Is it still around.

I OwN j00!
    2040.gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

G4 went on brief hiatus there (we were missing for a few months while some publisher stuff was sorted) but will be back in a couple of weeks, bigger (and quite possibly more regular) than it was before smile.gif

With regard to other mags...

PC Plus is the only serious PC mag I bother buying. Their DVD edition is well worth it, a double sided DVD packed with immensely cool software. Their hardware reviews are top notch too.

EDGE is the best European games mag, for my money. Easons stock some US ones; Next Gen isn't worth buying, since they're just the US edition of EDGE and they nick most of their feature articles from it. Gamers Republic is excellent and well worth the cash, especially if you're a hardcore console gamer.

For online FPS gamers, the only dedicated magazine is Frag Mag - not an American mag, as you might think, but a UK published affair. It's got lots of really good FPS-centric content... You can order from www.fragmag.com - sadly it isn't available on the shelves (yet!).

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    http://www.utgamer.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Bro gave me copy of PC Format. Good mix of stuff. PC plus is good too. Now that I found a few good mags unlike the really annoying simpleton mags that get advertised on TV (thanks btw ppl), I just have to decide which one.

The issue of G4 i got had a big write-up on tribes in it.Was that you shinji?What other(if any) quakers/boards ppl are involved in G4?

I OwN j00!
    2040.gibworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Maybe your thinkin of "The Player" which never made it past the first issue it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The Player folded after issue 2, unfortunately. It was nice having the bit of competition in the Irish mag market. Devore (and suds I think) did bits and pieces in The Player.

2040 - Yes, the Tribes write-up ages back was mine. I don't think there are any other regular people from the online scene working on G4 right now apart from myself, though... But as online coverage in the mag increases, you never know who might pop up smile.gif

Ja,
    Rob

--
    [EED]Shinji -=*=- shinji@electricdeath.com
    http://www.utgamer.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

My favourite PC mag is .net. I know it mightn't be what you're looking for but it's definately worth one issue. I also like dot.ie - being Irish it's cheap, and there's lots of good info. But they are mainly about the net. As can be expected, given the none-too-subtle titles..

Before I ran out of cash I read PC format.
    PC Answers is apparently good too, and I know lots of peopl who buy PC Review and PC Plus. Can't slag PC Direct either

Xavius. The whale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

Personal Computing World is stocked by most college libraries so you can read it for free. It's mostly to do with hardware but isn't too "techy". Their games section is woeful.

Your best bet is to get two separate mags:

PC Plus for hardware/serious programs
    PC Zone for games.

prolly cost ya a little over 10 squids a month tho

PC Plus is defintly worth it tho - I learn more from that than I do in college eek.gif

Advertisement