Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS on iPAQ h5450

Options
  • 06-11-2004 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi,

Am looking to purchase GPS set-up for an iPAQ h5450. Has anybody and recommendations re hardware and maps etc (both which is the best and where to source).

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Aww come on guys. Don't be shy. ANybody any experience re GPS?
    Your feedback would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I have been thinking about something for my 2210 and found the copilot 5 system. Here is the link
    www.alk.eu.com

They say they cover Ireland and I have e'mailed them about what level of coverage they provide. I will post their response when i get it. Here is a link to another forum where I asked the same question and a couple of people from the north have been using it.

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=10967&highlight=

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Something else I forgot to mention is a good site for buying these and other phone/PDA stuff is
    www.expansys.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

thanks richieg.
    I'll look into the maps etc and let you know how I get on.
    Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I too have been looking for a GPS addition for my own ipaq (3660) and I am currently looking at the Navman GPS3450 Voice. But one of the things I discovered that maybe you should be aware off to is that these may not work in your car but will require an external antennae. The reason for this is that some cars have a metal built into the glass. I found a list of cars they already about on the following site:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00009KP31/ref%3Dnosim/internationalist44-20/002-1495916-1043244

On this site there is a link to view product details which opens a PDF file. Towards the end of this document, there is a list of cars that will require an external antenna.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 davidk

I found the following to be a good combination:

1. http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=112532
    2. www.mapopolis.com

Works great with my Smartphone (Imate SP3) and Ipaq (4150)

:) DK

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Kaiphas - Just hooked up my Navman 3450 to an IPAQ 3660 and am well impressed with it. I live in a relatively new area in Dublin and as soon as I turned it on it picked up the name of my road. I took a short drive around the estate and it identified every road name in the area.

It does need to be connected to the cig lighter as it uses up the ipaq battery pdq.

Am dead impressed with it. Have no idea how the rest of the country is covered. First country run happens in about 2 weeks.

Advertisement