Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David O'Leary Charged with an illegal approach for James Beattie

• 06-11-2004 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

After being reported by Southampton, David O'Leary has been formally charged by the FA for making an illegal approach for Southampton striker James Beattie.

Mercy. This charge is incredible. This, along with Sven's new contract and the cowardly reaction to Beckham's proffesional foul would make one assume that the FA head honchos are as gormless as their counterparts in the FAI.

Unless Villa are hiding something, the only approach made to Southampton that I'm aware of, was a £6m bid, which was turned down. This in itself was a big story, and so O'Leary, finding himself being fielded questions from the press about the story, gave honest answers.

OK, I admit, maybe he shouldn't have come out with comments like "Beattie wants to come to Villa" etc, but please tell me how any of the above amounts to "an illegal approach" for the player. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

the english FA is turning out to be bit a joke. O leary did nothing wrong !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If O'Leary wasn't allowed to talk to Beattie, and Beattie hasnt made any press statements about joining Villa, how does O'Leary know Beattie wants to join them?

I've a feeling theres more to this case than might meet the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I've a feeling theres more to this case than might meet the eye.

For the sake of the FA's credibility, you'd have to presume so alright :confused:

krinpit wrote:
    For the sake of the FA's credibility, you'd have to presume so alright :confused:

The FA has credibility ??? Only kidding, I agree with you there. They've had too many scandals recently to bring another one completely needlessly on themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Speaking as a Villa fan, I remember that comment at the time and thinking that it could land him in trouble.....

One thing O'Leary has to learn is to keep his mouth shut. He's a brilliant manager, but he's far too talkative for his own good. He's not half as bad as he was in his Leeds days, but he's still throwing curveballs with statements like this one.....

Seeing him repremanded by the FA would be no bad thing. Rules are rules. If someone came out and said that about a Villa player - Angel for example - I know I'd be fuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

wynters wrote:
    Speaking as a Villa fan,

Seeing him repremanded by the FA would be no bad thing.

Speaking as a Villa fan myself, I don't want to see the manager or the club being punished (especially a points penalty).
    wynters wrote:
    If someone came out and said that about a Villa player - Angel for example - I know I'd be fuming.

I agree. But would I think we could at least expect lip service from the player in question to say "I see my future at Aston Villa". The fact that Beattie didn't come out and say any such thing leads me (and possibly O'Leary) to believe it was true.

On a purely speculative point, I wonder if James Beattie still "wants to come to Villa". Do you think O'Leary would get the money for him in January? (Sorry Saints fans ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If Beatie's agent told someone at Villa that Beatie was interested, I don't see why David O'Leary should be charged for saying what he did, perhaps the agent should.

I don't know what the facts are, but I'd be more inclined to think that an Agent would be the cause of this, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for beatie joining in January, I'd love to see it I'm a great fan of his.

We should have a few quid alright..... O'Leary himself says that he needs "5 quality players" before next season. O'Leary signing his new contract is unofficially conditional upon him getting the green light to bring the 5 players in. Even if we were to get 2 of the requested 5 players in on free transfers during the summer, signing the other 3 'quality players' will cost us £15 to £18 million between now and September. That money is expected to be generated from the sale of a small part of the land owned by the club adjacent the stadium, plus we've saved over £200,000 a week on wages from the 19 players who've left the club since O'Leary took over, which itself amounts to almost £8 million over the course of a season. It's likely that Stefan Postma will move on in January too - we'll get a million for him.

Players definately being tracked by Villa are - Beattie of course, Scott Parker, Steed Malbranque, Wayne Routledge of Palace, and Swedish winger Christian Wilhelmsson.

In my opinion, the only first team players whose positions are safe(ish) are - Sorensen, Mellberg, Laursen, Jlloyd, McCann, Solano and Angel, so if O'leary wants 5 players in, my guess is that they'll be;

1. A box to box central midfielder
    2. A top stiker
    3. A centre half for increased competition & cover in that area
    4. A left winger
    5. A right full

O'Leary definately has new club CEO Bruce Langham on his side so the future certainly looks a lot brighter than it has in recent years.

Regarding Beattie, I don't think Southamton will want to do business with us after the fuss they've kicked up over our original approach for the player. The only way we'll get him now is if the player himself hands in a transfer request, but even at that stage, Southampton would rather do business with Everton - who have a few quid themselves and are rumoured to be tracking Beattie aswell.

If we are to spend that much money between now and next September, it would make more sense to spend it in January, so we can push for a European place in the 2nd half of THIS season. There's a general feeling within the club that last January was a 'missed opportunity'...... had we spent an extra few bob in the January window last year, we may well have finished the season in a European place. (Newcastle only beat us to the UEFA spot on goal difference & Liverpool only finished 2 points ahead of us to get the 4th place Champions League spot).

With Liverpools current striker crisis, Newcastles bizarre choice of Graeme Souness as their manager, and Santini jumping ship at Spurs, our closest rivals for a European finish are all hurting in some way, again there's an opportunity to get the jump on our rivals so I don't think the January window will pass without us making at least 2 decent signings.

This time last year we were headed towards the bottom 3, so we're doing well at the moment considering we have 3 first team players out injured - Vassell, Barry & Laursen. An interesting stat from the the BBC - if the league ran from January to January, Villa would currently occupy 3rd place in the league behind only Arsenal & Chelsea based on results from the end of last season and the beginning of this.

Super Villa!

wynters wrote:
    In my opinion, the only first team players whose positions are safe(ish) are - Sorensen, Mellberg, Laursen, Jlloyd, McCann, Solano and Angel, so if O'leary wants 5 players in, my guess is that they'll be;

1. A box to box central midfielder
    2. A top stiker
    3. A centre half for increased competition & cover in that area
    4. A left winger
    5. A right full

Super Villa!

Pretty much agree with that, but haven't seen enough of Laursen to say he's guranteed, and also I think Delaney is a reliable right back.

I Think a good Center Half a good Striker and a creative midfield player are needed.

Can't wait till I go over and see them play the pool in Villa Park on 4th Dec.

I was supposed to go to that game too...... I've a few scouse mates who are heading down to it and were trying to get me and another mate to go across. I've a Christmas party to go to that night though....

Laursen is an O'Leary purchase so I'd expect him to keep his place. O'Leary calls him "the new Gordon McQueen" so he obviouslt thinks a lot of him. O'Leary tracked him for years, he tried to get him when he was Leeds boss but the player chose AC Milan instead - as you would.....

I like him a lot, but Delaney is an average player. He has an excellent attitude, and always give 110% - which always endears a player to fans - but it's just not good enough against the better teams. He always seems a bit too eager to dive into tackles..... There's only 3 possible results from diving into a tackle - 1. You win the ball. 2. The attacking player dodges the tackle and you're left on your árse, or 3. You foul the player and concede a free kick, or worse still, a penalty - as Delaney did against Arsenal with a crazy late tackle on Pires. That equals only one good possible outcome from 3 if you dive in.... The best defenders play those percentages and don't sell themselves by jumping in, they stay on their feet and try to usher players out of position, away from danger areas. Sliding tackles should always be a last resort. If we are to establish ourselves as a top 6 side, we'll need a right back better than Delaney.

Chris Coleman was in the news today warning us about Malbranque. Sounds like he's worried to me.... His comments were very similar to the ones he made during the 'Saha to United' saga this time last year. Malbranques agent is stirring it up big time. 'Looks like he'll move in January, especially if Fulham are still struggling....

Deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

wynters wrote:
    Chris Coleman was in the news today warning us about Malbranque. Sounds like he's worried to me.... His comments were very similar to the ones he made during the 'Saha to United' saga this time last year. Malbranques agent is stirring it up big time. 'Looks like he'll move in January, especially if Fulham are still struggling....

Deadly.

But Coleman made the valid point, that Malbranque shouldnt and wont leave for some like Villa or Everton, because he is better than that. Saha left for United, there is a big difference.

United, Arsenal & Chelsea are already overloaded in midfield. Liverpool will spend on 1, maybe 2 strikers, and Newcastle are after 2 defenders, so if Malbranque is to move on to another Premiership side in the near future, it will be to one of Villa, Spurs, or Everton.

Coleman did say "....with all due respect, I don't know why he'd want to go there....." but I think he was referring to Southamptons interest.

If the players agent talking up a move, then it's a fairly sure bet that the player is unsettled and looking for a move himself.

Malbranque would be a great signing, wonder what kind of money it would take to get him.

krinpit wrote:
    On a purely speculative point, I wonder if James Beattie still "wants to come to Villa". Do you think O'Leary would get the money for him in January? (Sorry Saints fans ;) )

Hey its no problem to me! If James Beattie wants to leave thats his problem. With the state that we're in at the moment we could do with Beatts being at his best, but I think the main priority should be having players there who actually want to play for the club.

And I say that having spent €80 on a jersey with his name on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I don't think OLeary should have said that. I think thats what he is being punished for, if beattie wanted that to be public knowledge im sure he would have said it publically. plenty of players have done so in the past and have felt the wrath of their own fans for doing it.

Advertisement