Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor + Roaming on O2 = Disaster

Options
  • 06-11-2004 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Tempted by the prospect of "National Coverage" and low low prices, I've made the move from O2 to Meteor.

I'm normally based in Dublin and the Meteor coverage is fine. I haven't dropped a call yet.

This is my first weekend visiting "home" in Mayo, where the Meteor coverage is provided by roaming on the O2 network. To say it's unreliable would be an understatement. My phone only seems to have coverage for a couple of minutes at a time, separated by at least 10 minute intervals. I'm looking at my phone now and the reception bar is down to zero and the operator logo has disappeared. However, when the reception comes back, it's up at nearly full coverage.

Is this a problem that Meteor/O2 are working on, and has anybody else experienced such problems?

Looks like I might have to change back to Ireland's second most expensive network :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Are O2 having coverage problems in that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

None straight-O2 problems whatsoever. My Mum uses O2 and her reception is normal.

Same again this afternoon (morning :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

What u need to do is to change your network settings to manual and choose o2 while in mayo. then when u leave, just swith it back to automatic

Skyuser wrote:
    What u need to do is to change your network settings to manual and choose o2 while in mayo. then when u leave, just swith it back to automatic

Cheers Skyuser. I switched over to O2 manually a few hours ago and it's maintained a constant connection ever since. Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I work near Bray where there is abysmal Meteor coverage, but O2 will not allow me to select them as my network. Does the Meteor/O2 roaming agreement only cover certain areas where Meteor acknowledges it has no coverage? rather than areas that are technically covered but the coverage it dire?

• Advertisement

whizzbang wrote:
    Does the Meteor/O2 roaming agreement only cover certain areas where Meteor acknowledges it has no coverage?
    It only covers certain counties AFAIK. I was hoping that I could get away with sticking to the O2 network up here in Dublin, for convenience, but it won't let me select it.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi,

AFAIK, the Meteor / O2 roaming agreement only covers parts of the West: Donegal, Mayo, parts of Kerry and one or two other places, where Meteor have no masts at all.

As an amusing aside, three years ago, my brother phoned me from Letterkenny to say that AIB were giving away free Meteor Mobiles (a Siemens M35) if you deposited something like £50 in your account. The nearest place that had Meteor reception at the time was something like ... Navan!

..Francis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I can't get a decent Meteor signal in Talbot St Dublin. :confused:
    The Meteor shop in Henry St couldn't even test my Wap as they said there was no reception in the area.

If we can't get Meteor in Dublin 1 things are looking bad for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

Yes Hagar, livin in Smithfield here and coverage is a disaster

Advertisement