Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L. Ron Hubbard

Options
  • 13-06-2000 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering, is it just the ones I've read of his or is this guy just way over-hyped?

Battlefield Earth was a below-average space-opera type affair, the other 10 book series (can't remember name) was alright.

He's written a lot of stuff I found good when I was 12, but it doesn't seem to be aimed at a mature audience.

Opinions?

Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's not that he's over-hyped, it's that he's famous cos of the Scientology thing. Battlefield Earth was utter claptrap, but I do remember the immortal tagline on the first edition of it in 1982 - 'Soon to be two major motion pictures' smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

IMO,

the ONLY reason hubbard gets into the bestseller list is because tons of scientology 'disciples' rush out and buy warehouses of his books. Keeps el 'Ron' in the public eye, promotes the scientology image, draws in the curious.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Trojan:

He's written a lot of stuff I found good when I was 12, but it doesn't seem to be aimed at a mature audience.

I would say the same thing. I read Battlefield Earth over 3 days one Easter about 10 years ago. then it was great - now I suspect that I would throw it away in disgust.

Draco

Advertisement