Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry Rubbish

• 06-11-2004 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this article and it lead me to look at the Kerry Co Co website which has an "interesting" offer http://www.kerrycoco.ie/environment/binad.asp (the could have at least cleaned the bin). It's so lame, it's funny in it's own way.

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/4377687?view=Eircomnet
    Waste laws rubbished as 'too difficult to understand'
    Friday, 5th November, 2004

NEW draft by-laws on how to put out waste have been rubbished as "jargon" because they are too difficult to understand, even for people with legal training.

The Co Kerry by-laws, spanning seven pages, on 'The Presentation of Household and Commercial Waste for Collection' govern towns as well as rural areas and will be on display for comment until the middle of the month before coming into force in January.

Most of the 23 sections, which tell residents in the county what and what not to put into their bins, how to close their bins and in what direction to face the handles, are made up of lengthy sentences of up to 100 words.

The language is difficult and full of legal terminology that would normally need an explanatory leaflet, said Miriam McGillycuddy, a Labour councillor in Tralee.

"I am a solicitor. It took me ages to read this. How can a normal member of the public be expected to read and understand these? These should be intelligible and in plain English," she said. Ms McGillycuddy added that the complicated document was "all legalese". Such a document would normally be accompanied by explanatory memorandum for solicitors and barristers so they could find it easier to read and understand. No such leaflet accompanied these draft laws, which are on display in libraries, council buildings, and on the council's website, she said.

"I would feel we've a duty if we are putting something up for public consultation to make it as straightforward as possible." The laws have also been criticised because minute decisions on how far down to close the lid of the rubbish bin and in which direction to point the bin handles are being taken out of the hands of the towns.

The final decision on the laws for waste collection in Tralee, Killarney and other towns rest with the county council. These include refuse collection times and "that the handles of the wheeled bin be pointed in the direction of the public road".

Kerry towns will be able to make submissions for consideration that cater for their needs, Tralee town engineer Gerry Riordan explained.

However, the mayor of Tralee Johnny Wall (FF) said it represented a further erosion of autonomy in towns. "So the county decides where the bins are put on the streets of Tralee?" he said.

Meanwhile, according to the Environment Department, under the Waste Management Act 1996, and as amended by the Protection of Environment Act 2003, the county or city council was now the prescribed body to act for the county, not town councils.

Anne Lucey

Advertisement