Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dire Books

Options
  • 07-06-2000 10:05pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There has been a lot of posts about favourite books, but this query is the opposite. Any books written so badly that you wish you were warned to stay away from, being so dire. Feel free to mention away.
    IMHO Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard - too cheesy even for me.

PS Peig is a given by all smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I couldnt finish Kevin Keegan's autobiography, and I'm a Newcastle fan. Mind-bendingly bad smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Tom Clancy - The Sum Of All Fears (bought in a fit of boredom at an airport)

This book is slightly less fun than a weekend in North Korea, it drags on and on and on and on and on...the plot is just too convoluted and unweildy to keep track of, and after all the stage setting, the whole thing is wrapped up in a really rushed way.

Stay at least 20 miles away from this book at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Dunno the name of it but my girlfriend started reading it out of sheer boredom the other day on the bus to Cork.

Naomi Campbell wrote it ffs...............scary.......the name.............gaahh...sure who wants to know smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Just read The Sum Of All Fears, thought it was alright. Just thinking though, would Peig have been any better if Tom Clancy had wrote it...
    While her sons and bothers fall off cliffs and emigrate and all that sh1te, and she wails and moans and sings sad songs on the blaskets, she finds a nuclear submarine defecting from russia to Kerry, foils a IRA attempt to assassinate Jackie Healy Rae, kills a couple of carlow drug lords, blows away a few Arab terrorists from Limerick after they blow up Killarney Stadium and eventually becomes Mayor of Lisdoonvarna, all the while, wailing and moaning and forever ruining the irish language from one generation after the next....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

I honestly can't say that I've read an awful book.. or even a bad one.

Just lucky, I guess.

Xavius. The whale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well....

the worst book I have ever read has to be the Greyhawk/ Mika trilogy by Rose Estes. Absolute tripe, complete drivel, and utter bollix.

Seriously, there is *no* redeeming feature to the series except for the fact that she was actually serious when she wrote them and thought they were good enough to put a name to!!! Funny to read though smile.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Off the top of my head the book that I remember really finding ****e to read was Hitler's autobiography, pure madness from a physco, dragged on and after 73 pages I think I gave up.

Maybe it is just because I'm not too keen on this kind of auto-bio lark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I read them *because* they were so crap. They are so bad that they are incredibly funny without meaning to be. there used to be a hate page for her books...I'll see if I can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by LoLth:
    well....

the worst book I have ever read has to be the Greyhawk/ Mika trilogy by Rose Estes. Absolute tripe, complete drivel, and utter bollix.
    B]

err why did you read all 3 then? smile.gif i would agree with Arky with Mein Kampf being abolutely the worst and most unpleasent book ever, tho its less an autobiography then a stream of rambling consciousness whilst banged up in Landsdorf prison.

If you're interested in the psychology of an utter lunatic you may be able to slog yer way through it, it's a toughie tho smile.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I remember the first time that I tried to read "Lord of the Flies"..I thought it was the most boring pieceof ****....but then I cam back to it a year or two later equiped with my Leaving Cert and found it to be quiet interesting and enjoyable to read ..along with some University notes that I got off a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think the worst book I ever had was called Shadowkeep or some such.
    It was truely awful, with such classic characters as Roo "part man part kangaroo".

I used to give it to friends and tell them it was crap to start with but got really really good, to see how far they would read.

Advertisement