Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you doing in English?

Options
  • 06-11-2004 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to know what poems and poet you are studing in english

And

What novel, and play you did to

Me

roll of thunder, merchant of venice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I did Roll of Thunder in first year but we're doing To Kill A Mocking Bird now.
    And Romeo and Juliet.

I didn't know we were supposed to study one specific poet? We're doing a bucketload of poems by random people, then some Yeats and Heaney.
    Too many poems...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

When I was in Junior Cert, every other class was doing Romeo and Juliet (all-girls school), but my English teacher said to us "No! We are not doing romantic soppy nonsense! We will do blood and guts - JULIUS CAESAR!"

So that's what we had to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

We were Told that sometimes your asked to mention a poet that you have studied and coment on his writing style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Julius Caesar sucks. I did it in class, hated it, and used West Side Story for the exam, as I'd been in a production of it

For my novel, I did Of Mice and Men. Great book

We were Told that sometimes your asked to mention a poet that you have studied and coment on his writing style
    According to my english teacher this style of question is being used less and less often. Apparently it's "compare 2 poems on the subject of.. blah" more now. Which I prefer. Still hate, but prefer.

*gets back to writing*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

My novel was Goodnight Mister Tom and my play was The Merchant of Venice.

Some of the poems we had to study were..Nettles, Nails, Mid Term Break and some other stuff. I used Mid Term Break in the mocks and the JC. It's really easy to manipulate, it suits most questions. And it's so easy...

Yeah, well my teacher is from gakweah so you get the odd word that needs to be decifered ;) *that was totaly off topic, ahh well* ;)

My teacher seems to be covering all posibilities well it seems like that. :rolleyes:

Off to study french test tomorrow :o

Well, my english class went to a production of Romeo and Juliet in the O'Reilly Theatre today. It was strange, and set somehow in the 1920s...
    It was good to see it acted out, even if I was falling asleep and enraged by the end of it. You'd think the students (see how I discount myself from this? Yeah, I'm an elitist jerk) had never heard of the concept of a "gay kiss"... *mutters angrily*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A what now?

Raphael wrote:
    A what now?
    *batters over the head with keyboard*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

What kind of teacher brings their class to see a concpetual produstion of a William Shakespeare play-set in the 20's both Romeo and Juliet are men-sounds interesting as entertainment but hardly the best way to see the play surely?

Anway yeah the choose a poet and write about their style questions are getting less and less prevelant in the ole jc-very easy question if its still as open ended as mine was-just pick any poet with a distinctive style-slap in quotes and you have an A cooking in JC english!

What kind of teacher brings their class to see a concpetual produstion of a William Shakespeare play-set in the 20's both Romeo and Juliet are men-sounds interesting as entertainment but hardly the best way to see the play surely?
    I doubt any other production would have confused them less. If there isn't a lot of dancing around and going "HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!" at the prompting of the actors, people are going to lose interest and zone out.

And the play was fairly disappointing. It was only after reading a review AFTER I went to it that I realised it was supposed to be set in a school, and we all just thought the 1920s influence (clothes, dance, about it) was just a random strange interpretation.

So it was about two feuding familys in and around the time of the 1920s, but it was set in a school, thats sounds like a mighty strange play. What playschool was it preformed in? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 titanic_lettuce

Im doing Romeo & Juliet for my play and we've done of mice & men, good night mister tom, roll of thunder hear my cry and the cay but i dont know which we're using

What playschool was it preformed in? :D
    Belvedere College. :p

I did a book review on the Cay last year. Yegads was that one boring book. And surely it's a bit short for JC purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

1st year: roll of thunder and numerous poems.
    2nd year: to kill a mockingbird, romeo and juliet and a whole load of poems.
    £rd year: revision and functional writing.

i went to see Romeo and Juliet in the riverbank on friday, it was a modern setting, Mercutio played by a woman, The prince never apeared he was just a voice and the sound of a hellicopter, Tybalt and Paris played by the same guy, Friar Lawrence was a face on a screen and they kept doing close-ups of his wrinkly ol mouth, Paris never died and romeo and Juliet were never found in the tomb it just ended.

Now that's just strange.

True true, but hillariously interesting yet quite rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

We did A Kestrel For A Knave for our novel, but it was crap so I did Lord of the Flies for the exam instead, because Lord of the Flies rules. I got an A aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement