Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philosophy Courses

Options
  • 06-11-2004 11:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, I'm a computer science grad but I'm interested in doing some kind of a course, in either philosophy or history, to keep me occupied in my spare time. At the moment I'm shopping about a little... and so far the only place I've looked at is the Open University.

Does anyone know about the quality of these courses? Can anyone point me to anything better than the OU? Is doing a course there even worthwhile? I'm not interested in doing a night course really. Work won't allow it and I think I would find it draining. I need flexibility, so self-study is what I want to do.

If anyone could help me be an informed consumer (or non-consumer even) I'd mightily appreciate it! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Evening courses/modules in UCD. UCD is probably the best philosophy department in Ireland. And for continental philosophy, it's in the top ten in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 boudu

DadaKopf wrote:
    Evening courses/modules in UCD. UCD is probably the best philosophy department in Ireland. And for continental philosophy, it's in the top ten in the world.

I've been looking at the UCD website. Is this what you mean:

http://www.ucd.ie/adulted.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I did a Classics History course there with the OU and found it excellent. The a209 course in one module focused on Greek Philosophy and its impact on Athenian history.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

DadaKopf wrote:

You're not a UCD grad, are you DadaKopF?

How does one judge the relative merits of philosophy departments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Yes I'm a bleedin UCD grad, thanks very much. :rolleyes:

And that top ten thing came from some international league table of continental philosophy departments, or something.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement