Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV in galway

• 06-11-2004 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

what does all think of this?
    Redlight and Zhivagos have been mighty fine? does galway need a HMV?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

How are Zhivago and Redlight fine when it's entirely possible to pay over 20 quid for a new release? On many other things, I'd be inclined to support the local retailer, but not on a commodity good like CDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I've always found golden discs to be the best value.
    selection isn't as good but im lookin at the bottom line :D
    competition is always good, or so they say,
    look what it did for compustore in Galway. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

At last a bit of competition for the O'carrols and the Hubbards....they had a nice cosy cartel for themselves in Galway for the past 20 odd years....about time we get a "real" and "professional" music store in Galway!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Have HMV actually opened, or just applied for Planning Permission?

the signs are up and the fixtures and fittings are being put in...opening should be any day now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

Where exactly?

I think that this is just another example of our stupid, stupid planning laws. Why is a huge British chain allowed to open in Galway? Our own local traders should be protected.

i agree our local traders should be protected but a lot of our local traders have been screwing us on prices for the last few years so its about time they either lower prices to survive or bow out....even though im very against english-izing shop street etc...

Its opening beside topshop on the way into edward square...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rredwell wrote:
    Why is a huge British chain allowed to open in Galway? Our own local traders should be protected.
    Because it would be shockingly illegal to *not* allow them to open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Rredwell wrote:
    Our own local traders should be protected.

Our own local PEOPLE should be protected FROM our own local traders .....sometimes.

M

It's a local street, for local people...

• Advertisement

Robbo...things and places change,,,,,galway is practically made its living outta tourists so "It's a local street, for local people..." just does not work....

One word """""COMPETITION""""

BTW look at lidl and aldi compared to Tesco....its good for the average schmo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

galway is practically made its living outta tourists

Students may be seasonal, annoying and ignorant to all forms of common sense, but they're not tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

So that's another Music store I don't buy from. Excellent.

Buy online people.

The ironing is delicious.

Like Karl said just buy online. It makes sense.

For example: I have just purchased 3 DVDS (Spiderman 2, The Bourne Supremacy, Chronnicles of Riddick) and 1 Book (The Bourne Trilogy).
    Total Price = 65 euros.

In any high street retailer the total price would be at least 90 euro and proborably higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, actually, go to HMV Careers and click 'Tempoary seasonal Staff' and I've applied for a position in 'Galway'! ;) No confirmation on whe it's opening though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

opening friday next week to best of my knowledge...

Sarky wrote:
    Students may be seasonal, annoying and ignorant to all forms of common sense, but they're not tourists.

Agreed students spend a fair amount of money (BEER) but i was thinking of those fairly large, green jumper, paddy hat wearing yanks and our european neighbours...

Anyway i wont be buying from HMV apart from the late Xmas present as mentioned above online is the only way to go....Good to waste a few mins during the lunch break though then head back to the office and buy online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 thebionn

New CD online €13.99
    New CD in shops approx €23

'nuf said. Dont know why MasterCard dont put that kind of info in their ads.

• Advertisement

Got a job interview for there on thursday. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well, good luck.

Thanks.

Went for the interview yesterday. They rang me a few minutes ago to say that my college commitments were a problem, so I didnt get a job.
    They said that there would be more positions available next month and they'ed ring me.

I worked for HMV in Grafton St and Cork. I found them to be one of the worst employers I have ever had. To be fair though my cd collection was massive from the time I worked there, but its the other things like; Getting paid monthly. In 2000 when I was there I was paid £800 a month. Very difficult to live on. A friend of mine who started in there Oxford St branch in London was with them for 7 years and NEVER got promoted. He was extremely good at his job.
    I was told by my Doctor in Cork that I had to stop working there as I was about to have a nervous breakdown! at the age of 20!
    And when my friend and I parted company with HMV, our employee files apparently have a lovely big red sticker on the front which states: Unsuitable for re-employment!
    Oh, and its also company policy to not give references, which my friend didn't know about. So his cv has a 7 year gap.

Hi

Opened in galway today so just wondering does a normal 3rd level student card work or do i have to sign up for their own brand card to avail of the 10% off?

Tks

Normal ID is fine as long as it's USIT or your college ID.

Library cards NOT permitted. I only say as someone tried it with me :D

NUI Galway ID do? suppose so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

Hiya
    thannk god for competition!
    I looked at a dvd of a live rush gig in brazil and it was half the price REDLIGHT and others were charging.
    Basically the same price as PLAY.com wher i bought it originally>
    lovely jubley :D

Any word on PC WORLD?????
    IN WELLPARK????

Advertisement