Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why buy books when God invented libraries?

Options
  • 19-06-2000 4:21pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why do people buy books when there are plenty of good libraries abound the place with long enough loan periods to justify membership...also ...like less than 4/5 quid for the year....in comparison to paying 8 -} 10 quid for a book that you'll read only maybe one or twice...well??

I've bought two books since I've been here in Germany, "The Beach" and "Timeline", both good reads...but I cannot help but feel that I've wasted that money when it could have gone on somthing else.Libraries are a bit expenzive here, and they'd want your grand-ma's camels license to give you anything if you are a foreigner

Well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

I buy books because I read them over and over. I couldn't be arsed going down to the library. I rummage through the piles of books (organisation? bleh.) and pick out whatever one jumps out at me. Makes sense.

Xavius. The whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i'm still waiting for Wheel of Time 1 in the library :|
    i suppose you can order any book, thats good, but the thing is, you have to bring it back afterwards....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I like owning the books I read - you can always pass them on to others then when you're not reading them. It's good being able to read a book at any time (I usually start reading in the wee hours and not too many libraries are open at that time).

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

I buy the classics and the brilliant. ****e like Stephen King or Ruth Rendell's or whatever are library books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

I do that too Dav. So what if I only get four hours sleep before my mech exam? At least I finished Guards!Guards!. Again.

Xavius. The whale.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Personnally, I don't have time to goto a library. There is also the problem that more often than not, they won't have anything I want to read.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Don't forget he auld second hand book shops.
    Most places you can bring the book back and get back half what you paid for the book.

Which is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

I 'kin hate library books. You always have to search for ages for anything good - if there's anything good there. And most of the time there isn't since my tastes tend to vary from the common as muck mistery the pensioners (who make up the majority of the library's patrons) like and the Mills and Boon tripe that makes up the rest of the fare.

The books tend to be in reasonably good condition but they always seem to be a little too yellow for their age. And of course there's always the obligatory stain that you think you can identify but would rather not be sure of.

There's also something indefineable about having your own book. People tend to see people as intellectuals if they own a lot of books, and even though the popular fiction/sci fi/ fantasy that I usually read hardly qualifies as intellectual fodder, it still feels good to look at my shelves of books and know they're mine.

Personally I buy most of my books new and keep most of them. The ones I don't like at all I bring to a second-hand shop that isn't having a sale. Then I go to a second hand shop that is having a sale and use the money to buy a few books there. It's almost as hard to find a good book there but at least they're not too thumbed through.

Advertisement