Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it's day-ja-vu all over again

Options
  • 15-06-2000 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

yes - I have completly forgotton how to spell

how many times have we seen a "my favorite book thread" or "a hitch hikers guide thread". That's why no1 posts here - we've seen it all b4!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

guess there's 1329 nothings posted by no-ones then.

Perhaps Mr. Adversary could help all of us boring repetitive people and actually post something useful instead of an unqualified and untrue remark. hmmm?

Fact: 1, and only 1 hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy thread

8 total posts containing the word 'hitch' of those only 6 are about the books.

1 and only 1 favourite books thread. Or thread with the subject containing the letters 'fav'

Total of 23 posts have the letters 'fav' in that particular order.

maybe you should think before you type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

Hear, hear!

Xavius. The whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

lol, well said biggrin.gif
    actually, i was hoping this was another "favourite books" style thread - you know, there have been a couple of variations (not many adversary), like "book you would recommend" "books to read in the shade" but they're always good threads. ya see, since i started playing quake, i can't read anymore, so these specific books threads mean nothing to me, but more open threads, the ones you're talking about Ad have a wider appeal imo. so, please start one somebody!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Yeah whatever Ad mad.gif What the point in giving out about it if you can't come up with a better alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

Just cos I can't come up with a better alternative dosn't mean I can't point out that you can't either!

Stop picking on me frown.gif

No matter what the search feature (or whatever you're using) says, I've been coming to this board a long time before it moved from IGN. I can remeber at least five different "favorite books" threads and the hitchhiker books seem to come up in all of them and I believe there was a Douglas Adams thread as well. I'm being a bit selfish here but, I've already given my opinion and discussed other people's favorite books several times. People new to the board might want to post the same old thread but, again from a selfish point of view, there's prolly a lot of people here who just don't want to read it.

-What's the point in giving out......

I like giving out! biggrin.gif

I'm not the moderator or the owner of the board. If I have any helpful ideas I'll post them but it's not up to me to keep the board fresh and interesting.

• Advertisement

and it's deja-vu isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by Adversary:
    I'm being a bit selfish here but, I've already given my opinion and discussed other people's favorite books several times. People new to the board might want to post the same old thread but, again from a selfish point of view, there's prolly a lot of people here who just don't want to read it

Don't bloody read any 'fav book' or 'Douglas Adams' threads then. Are you actually being physically forced to read them? If you see another such thread appear, engage your brain and don't click on it - you'll be amazed how easy it is.

For example, I dont like Terry Pratchett, so if i see threads thereon, i do not read them - and i feel much more relaxed and zen for it.

What I'm really trying to say is stop fu<king moaning and don't read posts your not interested in.

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 19-06-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

U do have a point with the old fav book lark, and people like Terry P + hitcher's guide etc resufacing again & again can get a bit tedious. If any of us "readers" smile.gifactually look at our bookshelves what do we see, for me out of 250+ books I see 1 Terry Pratchett(which i wasnt mad about), LOTR (think that comes free with bookshelves now) and as for SF books, only thing close to that is William Gibson & Neal Stephenson. After thats it's all over the place Hunter S Thompson, Charles Buchowski, Robert Ludlum, Brian Lumley etc etc.

So 80% of this boards topics relates to possibly 5% of my reading interests but then thats down to me being too lazy to post different topics so who am I to complain.

I ****ing won't right! RIGHT?!!!

smile.gif

The point I was making is it's a bit crap here really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

I'd just like to point out that, although Adversary has every right to 81+(|¬ (yer gonna have to look at that in a certain light.. just seems to me that you say "fu<k" not to offend people... like yer meaning ain't the same anyhow?) about what he sees as problems on the board, don't we have the right to ***** back? And you're right, it isn't up to you to keep the board fresh and interesting. Nor is it up to us.

Xavius. The whale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's more to dodge the censor, really.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Interesting point, who's job IS it to keep the boards "fresh and interesting".

Shank, I'd love to get your opinions on decent cyberpunk (Neal Stephenson is god btw).

If you simply rage rage against the dying of the light, pretty soon you'll be sitting in pitch black.

It takes about the same physical effort to tap in a message about a book you think is good, bad or indifferent as it does to post a moany thread about how theres never anything about your strain of novel here.
    Except I suppose it takes more cerebral effort. So thats out then.

DeV.

Durrrrrrr. So you think I'm clever then? frown.gif

Does ANYONE have any ideas? Better think of one fast or the cute bunny rabbit gets it! redface.gif

I don't think it can be made fresh and interesting. I think it'll always be just a few discussions about what people are reading at the time. The repeated fav books threads are just as annoying as the bad phonetic spelling in the title of this thread.

Is there any way to edit that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's déja vu ... with the accent on the 'e'. Ah sh1te, now I'm just being a smartarse.

Bard

home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mark_The_Whale

As Adversary said, it is a bit crap here really. Why is this thread still running. We've stoned him enough.

Mark the Whale. AKA Xavius the Whale.

Advertisement