Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[articles] Politicians go into hiding after Van Gogh Murder

Options
  • 06-11-2004 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

You would'nt cite the Netherlands as the country most likely to become an Islam v West powerdeg but....

http://www.portervillerecorder.com/articles/2004/11/05/ap/entertainment/d865vdno0.txt
    Letter on Corpse Threatens Dutch Official

By ANTHONY DEUTSCH

THE HAGUE, Netherlands - The government vowed tough measures Friday against what a leading politician called "the arrival of jihad in the Netherlands" after a death threat to a Dutch lawmaker was found pinned with a knife to the body of a slain filmmaker by his radical Islamic attacker.

A five-page letter released Thursday night by the justice minister forced political leaders _ including Amsterdam's Jewish mayor and members of parliament _ to take on bodyguards.

The document, stuck to the body of filmmaker Theo van Gogh, was titled "An open Letter to (Aayan) Hirsi Ali," referring to a Somali-born member of parliament. She had scripted Van Gogh's latest film, "Submission," which criticized the treatment of women under Islam.

"Since your arrival in the political arena in the Netherlands you have been constantly busy terrorizing Muslims with your statements," the letter read. "You are not the first and not the last who has joined the crusade against Islam."

Hirsi Ali, who calls herself an ex-Muslim, has gone into hiding.

The letter also asserted: "It is a fact that Dutch politics is dominated by many Jews."

"What do you think of the fact that there is a Jew in power in Amsterdam?" it said, referring to Amsterdam's Mayor Job Cohen.

Deputy Prime Minister Gerrit Zalm agreed with comments by other politicians who called Van Gogh's murder a declaration of Islamic holy war.

"We are not going to tolerate this. We are going to ratchet up the fight against this sort of terrorism," he said. "The increase in radicalization is worse than we had thought."

Among measures under consideration is an emergency law to enable authorities to revoke the Dutch nationality of dual citizens suspected of terrorist activity so that they can be deported.

Zalm said the intelligence service, which has already expanded since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, would receive more funding to help it monitor potential terrorist recruits.

The suspected killer in the Van Gogh case, a 26-year-old Dutch-Moroccan national, was arraigned on six terrorism-related charges.

Van Gogh, a distant relative of the famous 19th-century Dutch painter, was shot and stabbed to death Tuesday while cycling down an Amsterdam street. The provocative social commentator and author, whose throat was slashed in the attack, will be cremated Tuesday in a public service.

The murder is testing already strained relations between the ethnic Dutch population and the Muslim community. There are about 300,000 Moroccan immigrants in the Netherlands out of a population of 16 million. Zalm said talks were ongoing with Muslim groups over how to avoid a violent backlash against Muslims.

Arsonists are believed to have set fire to a mosque in the central Dutch city of Utrecht, police spokesman Peter Keijzers said. There were no reports of injuries.

Jozias van Aartsen, parliamentary speaker for the right-wing free market VVD party, the second-largest party in the government of Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, issued a statement that called Van Gogh's slaying tantamount to a declaration of war.

"The jihad has come to the Netherlands and a small group of jihadist terrorists is attacking the principles of our country," he said. "I hope the Netherlands will now move beyond denial and do what is fitting in a democracy; take action.

"These people don't want to change our society, they want to destroy it," he said.

The threat left by Van Gogh's killer carries the ideology of a fundamentalist movement, Takfir wal Hijra or "Repentance and Flight," which advocates isolation from what it calls the sinful world, Dutch media reported.

The letter, in Dutch and Arabic, predicts the downfall of the "infidel enemies of Islam" in Europe, including the Netherlands, and the United States.

"I know definitely that you, Oh America, will go down. I know definitely that you, Oh Europe, will go down. I know definitely that you, Oh Netherlands, will go down. I know definitely that you, Oh Hirsi Ali, will go down," it said.

Chief prosecutor Leo de Wit said the suspected killer, identified only as Mohammed B., faces at least six terrorism-related counts, including charges of murder and "participating in a criminal organization with terrorist characteristics."

It was the first time authorities characterized the slaying as a terrorist act.

The suspect, wounded in the leg in a shootout with police, has refused to talk to investigators. He was arrested with a note in his pocket titled "Drenched in Blood."

He also is charged with attempted murder of a police officer and bystander, illegal possession of a firearm, and conspiring to murder others, including Hirsi Ali.

Authorities arrested eight other suspects and are looking into possible links between the suspects and foreign terrorist groups.

Two suspects were released, De Wit said Friday. Six will be charged with conspiring to commit murder, he said.

Prosecutors said all are Islamic radicals of North African ancestry. Four also were arrested Oct. 23 on suspicion of plotting a terrorist attack but were released for lack of evidence. Justice Minister Piet Hein Donner told parliament the four had contacts with a suspect in last year's Casablanca bombings.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks, the Dutch secret service has repeatedly warned the Netherlands could be a target. It is shadowing 150 extremists and has warned that groups are recruiting Muslim immigrant youths.

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=39369&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
    A five-page letter released Thursday night by the justice minister forced political leaders -- including Amsterdam's Jewish mayor and members of parliament -- to take on bodyguards. The document, stuck to the body of filmmaker Theo van Gogh, was titled "An open Letter to (Aayan) Hirsi Ali," referring to a Somali-born member of parliament. She had scripted Van Gogh's latest film, "Submission," which criticized the treatment of women under Islam.

"Since your arrival in the political arena in the Netherlands you have been constantly busy terrorizing Muslims with your statements," the letter read. "You are not the first and not the last who has joined the crusade against Islam."

Hirsi Ali, who calls herself an ex-Muslim, has gone into hiding.

The letter also asserted: "It is a fact that Dutch politics is dominated by many Jews."

"What do you think of the fact that there is a Jew in power in Amsterdam?" it said, referring to Amsterdam's Mayor Job Cohen.

Deputy Prime Minister Gerrit Zalm agreed with comments by other politicians who called Van Gogh's murder a declaration of Islamic holy war.

"We are not going to tolerate this. We are going to ratchet up the fight against this sort of terrorism," he said. "The increase in radicalization is worse than we had thought."

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭BattleBoar

mike65 wrote:
    You would'nt cite the Netherlands as the country most likely to become an Islam v West powerdeg but....
    Mike.

Beliebe it or not, I actually would have. I think demographic projections have Muslims becoming the majority in most of western Europe in a few decades. www.forbes.com/global/2004/0607/013_print.html

I know I read somewhere (although I cant find the link) that the Netherlands is projected to be the first western European power to fall victim, somewhere around 2025 if nothing is done to curtail the spread. Regardless, the next 20-30 years will see a huge conflict between East and West developing in Western Europe, and the Dutch are at the tip of the spear, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

BattleBoar wrote:
    I know I read somewhere (although I cant find the link) that the Netherlands is projected to be the first western European power to fall victim, somewhere around 2025 if nothing is done to curtail the spread.
    It's not a disease.
    What do you suggest? Selective immigration policies? (I'm sure certain posters here would favour that)
    Or else banning conversion/expelling converts? A good fraction of the increased Muslim population in the west is made up of converts, not just immigrants.
    Maybe education in both communites would dispell a lot of myths and prejudices held on both sides about one another.
    Or else we can just continue look at "Islam" as one big threat and nothing will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I look at all religions as diseases - Europe has tackled and conquered Christianity and it will do the same with Islam. All religions will die, Science and Progress will crush them in time. HEIL! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

BattleBoar wrote:
    I think demographic projections have Muslims becoming the majority in most of western Europe in a few decades

Most of the demographics I've seen which show that, also would show the Muslims having in excess of 100% of the population within a century.

Thats some powderkeg.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:
    Honour killings and forced marriage have nothing to do with Islam (hard line or otherwise), they're cultural/tribal "pratices" in certain areas of certain countries.
    Does it not enter your head that Islam is a threat
    No, it does not. The religion itself is no more a threat than Christianity or any other religion. You can't judge an entire religion or by that matter an entire group of people by the actions of a minority within that community.

daveirl wrote:
    I know what punishments Sharia laws prescribes for adultery. What you said was nothing to do with adultery.
    And it's not just modern Islamic scholars that say it's wrong, honour killings have nothing to do with Islam and never have.
    See that last bit, adultery is punishable by stoning. Fair enough that's not exactly Honour killing since that's when the family takes it into their own hands, but if an Islamic state cannot be created in the region it's fair to assume that those wishing to adhere to Sharia Law will commit Honour Killings.
    People are not encouraged to be judge, jury and executioner either. Stop trying to rationalise honour killings with the religion because it's nothing to do with the religion itself.

daveirl wrote:
    By all accounts, the people who commit "honour" killings think that the actual killing will restore the honour that has been lost by their family as a result of the actions of the daughter/sister/cousin etc.
    Here's one link
    Also. there's only certain circumstances that the death penalty can be applied under Sharia and you have get a trial at least. Families who do this, even if they believe they are religiously justified are in the wrong.
    Countries with the death penalty have execution as a punishment - it doesn't mean people can go about legally implimenting justice by themselves.

• Advertisement

bonkey wrote:
    Most of the demographics I've seen which show that, also would show the Muslims having in excess of 100% of the population within a century.

Thats some powderkeg.

jc

If you noticed, I did provide a link for that information. I'm not just pulling demographic trends out of my a$$ here. Now do most experts actually make predictions that Muslims will become a majority in Western Europe say by 2050? No. But it's because they predict a decrease in the influx and population growth, not because you wouldn't get that result if you extrapolated current data.

BattleBoar wrote:
    If you noticed, I did provide a link for that information. I'm not just pulling demographic trends out of my a$$ here.

Yes, I did see the link. Here's the relevant bit of it :
    In a few decades, given current trends, Muslims will be the majority population in much of western Europe.

It goes on to explain what those current trends are (decreasing birth-rate in Europe, increasing immigration), but then completely skips over explaining what reasons we have to believe that these current trends will continue unchanged.
    Now do most experts actually make predictions that Muslims will become a majority in Western Europe say by 2050? No. But it's because they predict a decrease in the influx and population growth, not because you wouldn't get that result if you extrapolated current data.
    Thats exactly my point.

If you extrapolate current data, you get a Muslim majority in the next 50 years, and - if you continue the extrapolation - an almost-entirely Muslim (or > 100% Muslim, if you use really bad extrapolation models which many do as they are more sensational) population not too long afterwards. But thats just not realistic...as you say, experts predict changing trends which will mean that the extrapolation of current trends doesn't hold water.

No-one is going to be able to sell fear off a model which says "if things don't change, Europe will be somewhere between 95% and 120% Muslim in a century", because anyone seeing such figures will laugh. Instead, you take the same model, apply it to a shorter time-scale and say "if things don't change, Europe will have a Muslim Majority in half a century". Now you've got something far scarier because it sounds more plausible, but its the same model and so should be just as suspect.

When I see an article which presents such figures as well as a reason for believing that things won't change, and that such a progression is actually socio-economically viable, then I'll start lending it credence. Until then, I honestly just see it as scaremongering, and side with teh experts who dismiss it on the grounds that they don't believe current trends will continue.
    And why is it not fair to assume that Islamics in Europe who wish to practice Sharia law won't take things into their own hands and commit honour killings.
    It might sound trite, but its not fair because its a violation of a number of precepts which are central to our entire legal system. Its the same reason we don't lock people up for being members of any number of other groups which we find distasteful.

Not only that, but I would point out that if anyone looks at the Koran and picks out the extremist bits to argue along the lines of "look, this shows that everyone following any flavour if Islam is - at heart - barbarous, not interested in human rights, and a threat to the continuation of our way of life" then I would suggest that such people should re-read the Bible, and take its most extreme messages as equal indications of the barbarity of all Christians.

jc

daveirl wrote:

Really? So every time CNN or someone runs an article about the latest case where this comes up, and less-extremist Muslim clerics are trotted out to explain how this is notwhat many Muslims believe in, nor subscribe to....thats all made up?
    and is practiced widely.

Practiced widely? Really?

Can you offer any data to show the number of incidents where stoning has been carried out in recent years? Maybe put it in terms of population-size of the regions where it has happened, and show that the system/quality of government/law enforcement is also comparable

Or is this just an assumption because a relatively small number of cases in nations have grabbed massive headline attention over the past number of years where people have been sentenced, but where that sentence is not ultimately carried out[/i]. And lets not forget the news reports of rumours and allegations that this si far more widespread....tehy shouldn't be ignored either. Obviously when they actually find the proof, its not worth really transmitting, cause people were already told it might be happening....right?

And of course, the fact that those nations you mention have nothing like the socio-economic background of Western Europe should also be entirely ignored.

Its entirely co-incidental that what you describe as a barbaric practice is more common in the less-developed nations, where democracy has not ever taken significant hold, where people do not live with a high quality of life, good education, etc. etc. Nope - thats all irrelevant, and if those people ever come into such an environment, obviously it is their way of life which will prevail...

I mean.... you see Christian Fundamentalism as a step "backward", but
    then argue that what brought Christianity "forward" is exactly what you think should be denied to the Muslims seeking access to Europe....bcause they couldn't be "brought forward" like Christians were...nope...they're a threat because they're not where we are....

jc

bonkey wrote:
    And of course, the fact that those nations you mention have nothing like the socio-economic background of Western Europe should also be entirely ignored.

Its entirely co-incidental that what you describe as a barbaric practice is more common in the less-developed nations, where democracy has not ever taken significant hold, where people do not live with a high quality of life, good education, etc. etc. Nope - thats all irrelevant, and if those people ever come into such an environment, obviously it is their way of life which will prevail...jc

Would you really argue that those things (less developed & being Islamic) are mutually exclusive? Don't forget, Babylon was once one of the center of science and culture in the entire world, and the Egyptians built the Pyramids (among other accomplishments of course). These were once great civilizations. Islamic society as a whole has degraded greatly from that point.

On another note, the Dutch are once again at the tip of the spear, so to speak: http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1346191,00.html

BattleBoar wrote:
    These were once great civilizations. Islamic society as a whole has degraded greatly from that point.
    The Babylonians and the Eygptians that built the pyramids were not Muslims.
    Look at Arab Islamic socities from roughly 700AD - 1300AD or the Ottoman empire for Islamic cultural achivements etc.

BattleBoar wrote:
    Would you really argue that those things (less developed & being Islamic) are mutually exclusive?

In the modern context, yes.

I'm only looking at the modern context (which I should have made clear). Why? Because a lot of the things that are pointed to as the oppression/barbarity of Islam are things that we had aplenty in western society until relatively recently.

jc

The Babylonians and the Eygptians that built the pyramids were not Muslims.
    Look at Arab Islamic socities from roughly 700AD - 1300AD or the Ottoman empire for Islamic cultural achivements etc.

Thank you for making my point. They were great civilizations before Islam.

BattleBoar wrote:
    You really should read up on the subject as you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
    Babylon was long gone as a civilization before Islam arrived in that part of the world, and the Pharoes who built the pyramids also disappeared long before the 7th or 8th century AD.

• Advertisement

You really should read up on the subject as you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
    Babylon was long gone as a civilization before Islam arrived in that part of the world, and the Pharoes who built the pyramids also disappeared long before the 7th or 8th century AD.

Isn't that exactly what I said? :rolleyes:

BattleBoar wrote:
    Isn't that exactly what I said? :rolleyes:
    Nice try.

Nice try.

Funny, bonkey seems to have had no trouble interpreting my original post. :D

BattleBoar wrote:
    Funny, bonkey seems to have had no trouble interpreting my original post. :D
    Why don't you explain then why you used them as examples of Islamic civilizations when you knew they weren't Islamic civilizations?
    EDIT: If you're trying to imply that Islam was responsible for their decline you are also wrong. Again, read up on these civilizations.

BattleBoar wrote:

And Rome was a great civiliastion before Christianity. It still has nothing to do with the fact that if you look at the modern world today, the developed western nations are Christian, and the Islamic nations are predominantly in areas which have been exploited and subjugated (predominantly by Chrisitians) ever since we got the upper hand on them.

Christians stunted their development, and now look down on them as being somehow "backward" or barbaric because they still have beliefs/practices which we abandoned our equivalent of somewhere down the road.

Now maybe its just me...I just don't see that as coincidental.

jc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The fun is starting now. Someone blew up a Muslim school down the road this morning. Don't have an English link, sorry.

Ah, but surely thats ok? Obviously the Muslim's deserved it, and it will serve as further proof of how they are barbaric compared to the us peace-loving Europeans....

I mean...whoever blew it up was probably Islamic themselves, just trying to fool us into pitying them, or maybe it was an internal Islamic power struggle. After all, we enlightened Europeans are above all of that behaviour...

jc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Probably the Chechens, those lovable rogues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BattleBoar wrote:
    I know I read somewhere (although I cant find the link) that the Netherlands is projected to be the first western European power to fall victim, somewhere around 2025

It's not a century from now, neither is it a few decades. The majority of secondary school children in Amsterdam and Rotterdam are muslim. The most popular name for a new born boy in those cities has been Mohammed for many years

BTW Theo van Gogh was shot about 15-20 times. He was then virtually decapitated (while still alive). Finally the aforementioned note was stuck to his body by means of a knife being inserted into his heart. The murderer took his time and was in no hurry to leave the scene

Advertisement