Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Coke Be Back In The SU Shops?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

atari jaguar
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    ...Though remember that history is written by the winners...

I hate that cliché,

History is written by historians!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

No
    Lord Haw haw was Irish, does that mean that all irish radio presenters are fascists?

HE'S A NAZI, GEDDIM!

the words "clutching at straws" comes to mind here spacedogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

atari jaguar
    Spacedog wrote:
    History is written by historians!
    With a spin to placate their current overlords..

atari jaguar
    crash_000 wrote:
    Lord Haw haw was Irish, does that mean that all irish radio presenters are fascists?

HE'S A NAZI, GEDDIM!

the words "clutching at straws" comes to mind here spacedogs.

I said nothing of the sort. but while were putting words into each others mouths. By that logic your saying that Hitler wasn't even a nazi, he was a crusader for Jewish rights who stamped the wrong form by accident.

the words "Crash, your an idiot for thinking that" spring to my mind.

atari jaguar
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    With a spin to placate their current overlords..

example?

• Advertisement

atari jaguar
    The dropping of the A bomb TWICE on Japan.. Historians attempt to justify this. It is unjustifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

No
    IT ended world war 2 didn't it?

Maybe you'd be better off trying to bring about social change in Columbia.

No
    Spacedog wrote:
    I said nothing of the sort. but while were putting words into each others mouths. By that logic your saying that Hitler wasn't even a nazi, he was a crusader for Jewish rights who stamped the wrong form by accident.

the words "Crash, your an idiot for thinking that" spring to my mind.
    no, actually what i'd be saying was "seeing as hitler was a nazi, that means that all racists are out for genocide." the words clutching at straws are still lurking in the back of my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

This is a prime example of getting off the point MODERATORS do your thing, threads have been shut down for less!!!!

atari jaguar
    Cactus Col wrote:
    IT ended world war 2 didn't it?
    /me shakes head.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You are entirely oblivious to the facts. Not that I blame you, I mean you were taught no different. You are merely ingorant putty in the hands of winners propaganda.
    The Japanese were all but pleading for surrender by August 1945, the emporer had begun suggesting it a YEAR beforehand, all they asked was (one condition) that their Emperor, a holy figure to the Japanese with no real power, remain in place. America figures: "No, we want to make an example out of you to establish ourselves as a the new world power, and hey, we got a new genocidal toy we haven't tried yet.". So they asked for what they knew they wouldn't get, 100% unconditional surrender, no negotiations, nothing.

Inspite of the tv movies where you see a heartfelt Truman <altruistic music> telling his generals that Kyoto is to japan what paris is to europe. And that out of respect and emotion for the spiritual home of an entire people, he would not drop the bomb there </altruistic music> . I'm sorry but wtf!!!? These things are made such that an american watching it would feel a pang of pride at the sheer nobility of his country. As far as I'm concernced however this is complete bullcrap. The ONLY reason they didn't bomb kyoto (and the emperor with it) was because they knew that this would enrage the japanese to the point where they would fight to the last very last man.

Can you tell me why they dropped the second bomb 3 days later (preplanned)? Their point was made, they irradiated 100,000 people in an instant and left many more to die horribly of the after-effects. They only reason I can think of is, since the second bomb was plutonium based rather than uranium, that the 50,000 or civilian men women and children that were burned alive was as a result of a scientific experiment. Impossible you say? Inhuman I hear? No more inhuman than the nazis.

I bet you didn't know there were concentration camps in america either? Entirely against the geneva convention american citizens of japanese descent were rounded up and interned often for the entire duration of the war. iirc the propaganda videos they showed of it were scarily similar to the nazi ones for jews. Now there is a very very played down act indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

Not to mention the present day arab yokes they impriosned!!
    WOW a vaild statment from me thats new!!

No
    well if we want to get onto the topic of el old H-bombs, they didnt win the war. the war was already won and it was the typical "definitely dont **** with us" american attitude, you know, the "kick the ****er while he's down and break his teeth to make sure he wont attack us again" attitude, which REALLY shouldnt be introduced into world politics, thats a quick route to a holocaust situation.

also if we're looking at coca-cola selling in germany during world war II - they sold in a country during war time. if you can honestly bring that up as a reason to NOT drink coke, thats just pathetic. secondly, for that same reason, if you read many of the theories involving the world war II ratlines, apparently the SU should also boycott coke, as it helped what would otherwise have been convicted criminals leave their country. I mean, i think we can draw parallels between Coca cola's possible involvement (and STRONG SUSPICION as was put earlier) that they were involved in the trade union incidents and the fact that there are STRONG SUSPICIONS that teh catholic church was inolved in the set up and tunneling of prisoners through ratlines.

infact, methinks i might suggest that as a motion next council, that the SU BAN the catholic church due to first of all their possible involvement in world war II ratline incidents, as well as the child abuse scandals of recent years - i mean i find them just as unpalatable as anything that coke are theorised to have done.

if you believe in this solidarity issue, of standing by those who have no voice, ban the catholic church from campus.

Now, convince me once again why other people have the right to decide my mind? i'm convinced the voting SU is largely made up of long haired hippie right wing fascist liberals, seeing as all the votes i've seen so far have followed such politics have followed the most random of trends.

in conclusion - most members of the college would largely consider themselves liberal i assume? i mean, on average, i dont necessarily mean yourself. well you act more fascist to me, so go doublecheck your politics, then repost.

also, dec if we're getting onto US involvement in any war, the US has contravened the geneva convention a thousand and one times. they get away with it usually because while the wars might not be technically valid, they *technically* are the good side in most wars. which disturbs me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

the fact that there are STRONG SUSPICIONS that teh catholic church was inolved in the set up and tunneling of prisoners through ratlines.

Explain for we less informed please.
    i might suggest that as a motion next council, that the SU BAN the catholic church

?

No
    http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewForeignBureaus.asp?Page=/ForeignBureaus/archive/200009/For20000904a.html
    http://www.hvk.org/articles/0600/34.html

there have long been ideas of the Vatican ratline, a system of tunneling war criminals from the second world war through to other countries as supposed refugees - South America was assumed to be the destination of a large number of these - hell, if Trotsky can do it, Nazi war criminals can :P

http://www.mosquitonet.com/~prewett/lavista.html

its a very intriguing concept - books, both fact and fiction, have been written in volumes on the topic.

atari jaguar
    crash_000 wrote:
    no, actually what i'd be saying was "seeing as hitler was a nazi, that means that all racists are out for genocide." the words clutching at straws are still lurking in the back of my mind.

So, once again by your own logic:

X = Hitler was a nazi
    Y = All racists are out for genocide

"seeing as hitler was a nazi, that means that all racists are out for genocide."
    = IF X = true THEN Y = true

therefore X = Y

however there are some racists who simply hate minorities yet do not wish them dead. Example: people who believe that black people should leave ireland and return to their country of orign, these racists while being as misguided as any other, are not "out for genocide". so Y = false

So IF X = Y
    AND Y = false
    THEN X = false

= "Hitler was a nazi" = false

by your logic!

This is the second time you have made this statement. yet you seem to insist in encoding it. At first I thought you were talking non-sense or jibberish yet this pattern emerges. My argument had nothing to do with nazis btw. it was about irish coke profits going to investors with little regard for the social implications of their investments. but it seems that my fun fact stirred up a lot of encoded nazi symphatising within the trinity board community.

Quit clutching for straws people and get back to the topic!!!

No
    Spacedog wrote:
    Yep, What's that got to do with CocaColas operations in Germany which had 43 bottling plants and over 600 local distributors by 1939?

I brought up nazis. yes of course. i was BLATANTLY the one who actually brought up Coca cola selling in germany during wwII, i posted "Fun Fact: CocaCola collaberated with the Germans during the 2nd world war (Fanta was invented due shortage of an igredient for CocaCola in Germany during the war)".
    but it seems that my fun fact stirred up a lot of encoded nazi symphatising within the trinity board community.

Congratulations, Goodwins law has been invoked.

Professor Goodwin, U of I, in 1981 made the observation that Usenet discussions gravitate downhill. He postulated that as the length of a discussion thread grows, the probability approaches one (1) that one participant will introduce the terms "Hitler" or "Nazi".

The custom has evolved that the first party to utter "Hitler" or "Nazi" has lost the discussion, and the thread terminates.

you and your opinions have just been registered null and void.

Goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Hmm speaking of SU shops, saw you strutting your stuff in there Agent :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

No
    Chick wrote:
    Hmm speaking of SU shops, saw you strutting your stuff in there Agent :p
    good random stalking outa you :cool:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

you like what you see? me strutting my stuff packing the shelfs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

and its not exactly a MASSIVE walk to the nearest spar, etc...imo opinion anyway

It defeats the purpose of a ban if everyone buys it anyway.....

• Advertisement

atari jaguar
    DrIndy wrote:
    It defeats the purpose of a ban if everyone buys it anyway.....
    Not really, the point is made.. The majority voted for the point to be made, the inconvenience to some is inconsequential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

No
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    Not really, the point is made.. The majority voted for the point to be made, the inconvenience to some is inconsequential.
    ye see thats where i take issue, its non coke drinkers wanting to make a point, well go shag off n have a protest if ye like then. the majority of the country are non smokers don't mean we'll go off n ban cig's cause they r bad for ya.

atari jaguar
    Darth Bobo wrote:
    ye see thats where i take issue, its non coke drinkers wanting to make a point, well go shag off n have a protest if ye like then. the majority of the country are non smokers don't mean we'll go off n ban cig's cause they r bad for ya.

been in a workplace lately?...

...nevermind.

atari jaguar
    NoelRock wrote:

I notise that this page didn't have a "Home" link

And if we slide up one level from this seemingly independent, non biased source URL, what do we find?

http://homepage.eircom.net/~yfgmaynooth/

Young Fine Gael,

Campaign site about using the Coke ban as a deviding issue to draw votes from the population who want the freedom to buy a can of coke, but don't give a crap about important student union issues (imo).

Everyone has an agenda. Nice try though.

atari jaguar
    crash_000 wrote:
    Congratulations, Goodwins law has been invoked.

you and your opinions have just been registered null and void.

Goodbye.

Ok,

By tour logic again:

If someone were to start a discussion topic about the 2nd world war, and had happened to mention hitler as leader of the nazis (implying Hitler was a nazi) and another person (eg. you) were to post this obscure Goodwins law (bearly found it on google) stating that Hitler wasn't actually a nazi (in code or otherwise) then by your definition. the comments at the start of the thread, however reasonable would be invalid and Hitler would be proven innocent of being a nazi.

what i did find on google, is other discussion forums where right wing individuals who were losing arguments through reason and logic (sound fermilure) invoke this 'Law' an an excuse to say "your opinions have just been registered null and void. Goodbye" pretty sweet exit clause.

No information is given with reference to who Goodwin actually is and how this law was ratified into the Irish legal system. I suppose I sould make up my own forum laws in the same fashon and apply then universally by your logic:

Spacedogs Law:

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of someone using the word 'the' approaches 1" as such anyone who says 'the' to articulate any kind of reasonable point is wrong and opinions should be registered null and void

Spacedogs Law = Goodwins law = nonsense

Welcome to a free society, my opinions are as vaild as any others.

No
    shutup the 2 of ye, i'm well bored.

Advertisement