Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish-built TMC Costin: info wanted ?

Options
  • 06-11-2004 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Does anybody here recall the Irish-built TMC Costin sports car ?

It was built c.1985 by Mr.Frank Costin for a Co.Wexford company.
    Only a small number were produced before production ceased.
    (Stephen Roche, of Tour de France fame, was also involved with the company/marketing).

For example -

- What size engine had it ?
    - How did/does it handle ?
    - What dealerships sold it here (if any) ?
    - Any literature/magazine articles/books on the car ?

AND

Are there any in Ireland today ?

This is the car in question.

TMC Costin.
    sale2030a.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's one hell of an ugly car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As best I know they were kit built and several dozen to several hundred were built. The rear end on that one looks a lot boxier than ones I've seen. I think they were essential made to order (but not necessarily in the customed sense).

Eddie Jordan has one in black /chrome which is "more convertable" (he also has/had a green ex-An Post renault van :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I recall that the 1980's Irish motoring programme "The Motor Show" (anyone here remember it) did a feature on the Costin.The car featured was exactly the same as the pic in this thread - Lotus 7 style front end and a horribly boxy rear end. I can't remember anything about the specs. of the car though. It might be interesting to contact RTE and see if they will sell you a tape of the programme which featured the car.

BrianD3

I think there was also a feature on "Countrywide".

Another thing I vaguely remember is that some guy raced a Costin in an Irish saloon car championship in the late eighties/early nineties. Some of the races were shown on TV. I think the driver *may* have been John Kealy.

Oh and I just did a quick google search for more info on the TMC Costin. According to one poster in the uk.rec.cars.classic newsgroup, it was powered by a CVH engine. That is a Ford unit and was probably something like a 1.6 litre-2.0 litre capacity.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thanks for the feedback guys !

Victor,
    Where did you come across the Eddie Jordan info (incl the ex-An Post van !) ?
    (pics online/published of his collection?)

.....and what was the 'Countrywide' programme (a predecessor to RTE's 'Nationwide') ?

BrianD3,
    I too recall 'The Motor Show' programmes - they were good !
    I contacted RTE on a previous occassion about getting a copy of another programme and they wanted a silly price for a video copy (c.€50-60!). (Thanks for the suggestion all the same).

You're correct, a CVH engine would be a Ford unit.

I too recall 'The Motor Show' programmes - they were good !
    I contacted RTE on a previous occassion about getting a copy of another programme and they wanted a silly price for a video copy (c.€50-60!). (Thanks for the suggestion all the same).
    I can't remember that much about The Motor Show as I was only a kid when it was on however I do remember enjoying the programmes at the time. The theme music for the prog was "No Particular Place to Go" by Chuck Berry and the opening credits featured a bronzey beige coloured Renault 21 being driven about. Bizarre :)

Yeah I knew when I suggested it that it would be expensive to get a tape of the show from the RTE archives.I have looked into getting other prgrammes before and they would have cost 100 quid plus.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

You might find one find one in Eddie Jordans car collection attached to the rampage skatepark he owns in Bangor.

Cheers shagman !

More Costin pics -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

I remember those cars-there were a few knocking around Wexford 20 years ago or so (they were assembled in Castlebridge-aboyt 3 miles from Wexford Town. Were there not two different models?
    Company wnt bust..
    http://www.westerndriver.com/information/test-drive/1999-panoz-roadster.html
    Jd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Argh! Jesus!

That's a horrible thing to look at on a full stomach :)

Where's that amnesia dust gone..........

Thanks for the links mike, but I have seen most of them already.

I came across an old Irish article about the Costin and it got me interested to find out more about it..........it's part of Irish motoring history after all !

......and it was billed as "Ireland's Lotus 7" at the time !!

Silvera wrote:
    Where did you come across the Eddie Jordan info (incl the ex-An Post van !) ? (cs online/published of his collection?)

Just from seeing him around town, the poseur (the van must have been camouflage, but seeing as he was outside Eddie Irvines house ...). ;) This looks like his one alright.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/
    Silvera wrote:
    ....and what was the 'Countrywide' programme (a predecessor to RTE's 'Nationwide') ?
    Ooops, I don't watch much TV. :D

Cheers Victor.

F.A.O - dahamsta,
    That's one hell of a stupid president !! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tmc driver

Hi there,

I have a TMC Costin .The most info about the car can be found in two dennis ortenburger booksthey are called frank costin "fyling on four wheels" and Lotus Seven and it's independents.
    The last might be more useful.
    As far as I know 26 cars were build over the whole build phase. I know 4 and one racer two from a english guy and 1 one is in the US as well as one more which is for sale there.
    I have bought mine last year and it is not not so good condition ( see pictures on my website www.tmc-costin.de ( for pictures click the link BILDER sorry german))
    I try to build it up in the moment biggets prob. was to get a new windscreen because it is bonded. My new one needed to be custom made which was hell expensive.
    If you have any info or questions about the car or even have one please feel free to contact me tmc_costin@pot.com

bye for now
    jochen

see also this actual thread at Octane Forums http://www.octane.ie/cult/forum/showthread.php?t=835&page=1&pp=10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement