Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite Book?

Options
  • 20-04-2000 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I was just thinking as I was reading The Famous Five posting and thinking to myself what was my favourite book when i was a kid and whats my fav book now?

I guess its got to be Dahls Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - I learned all the poems in the book off by heart...

Now I guess my favourite writer is Patricia Cornwell in her guise as a forensic pathologist - a bit goulish for some but great murder mystery books

To Infinity and Beyond!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

it was The Witches by Dahl

and now it would be Ticktock by Koontz

"Damn."
    wHiTe-TrAsH.cjb.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

A.A.Attanasio's "Centuries" gotta be my fav, read it 6 times now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As a kid, I didn't read much - I do remember reading the 2001 series by the boy Aurther C C and really enjoying it. I also read the "Earthsea Trilogy" by Ursla K LeGuin - really good. I must go look for it again.

In recent years, well, I only read the Lord of the Rings for the first time 8 months ago, so it's still very much in my head. I also love any of Prachett's stuff - he r0><><0rz wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~davitt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Gamblor

Well it was and still is Caves of steel by asimov .... umm galtic warlord douglas hill .
    and one book .. i lost the thing can't remember who wrote it or the name of it ( helpful ain't i !!! smile.gif ) it was about a colonyand there where mutan freaks living in the upper leves . our hero finds them becomes friends and all sorts of stuff happen .. any one any ideas about this .. one of the mutant friends had 2 heads ...

Later skaters

***** Feel my Evil Neon Claws *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Alice in Wonderland - kid
    Alice in Wonderland - now

twas thrillig nad the slothy toads did...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

The Hobbit
    I remember feeling so grown up reading it smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

hehe, i read the lord of the rings when i was about 8. i didn't understand half of it, but there was a cool cartoon-film that explained it, with songs and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

I was the same when I was wee with the Hobbit, thought I was the most intelligent 8 year old ever smile.gif

I read too many books to ever pick a favourite. When I was a kid I read hundreds, but I really couldn't pick my favourite from them. I could maybe pick by genre, and possibly alphabetically. smile.gif
    It'd be the same now. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by metalchicken (edited 21-04-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

8 when u read The Lord of the Rings???
    FFS
    U must have been big enuff to hold it at that age!
    I remember having to drag the book off the shelf and read it while it was on the ground. I had plenty of tim back in those days to read before I started school smile.gif

One ring to rule them all, one ring to bind them all, one ring to guide them, and in the darkness bind them - That quote right? Off the top of me head.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My favourite Books
    F - The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMasters Bujold
    NF - Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton
    Fav trilogy LOTRs. Still waiting for the 2nd
    part of cartoon version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Watership Down...I bawled frown.gif...i was only 11

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Lion of Macedon - David Gemmell. Excellent read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

my favourite book was one i read when i was just beginning puberty.. it was entitled "West Coast Wildcatting" extremly educational i must admit... pity i can't remember the author

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

I have read every book in my collection at least twice. At least. Most of 'em three/four times, or even more! People think that I read really fast. I don't, I just read ALOT.

When I was I child (I'm 15 now) I liked Enid Blighton (That spelled right?). I also liked Rold Dahl. I can't really pick out what was my favourite but that one with the magic chair and toyland (anyone remember that?) seems to be one I read alot. An awful lot.

Nowadays I can't get enough Discworld books. Terry Pratchett is undoubtedly the best comic author the world has seen. In my opinion. I can't possibly pick out which one is best, but I do like Reaper Man, Witches Abroad, Jingo, Sourcery (wow!), Guards!Guards!, Carpe Jugulum, Interesting Times, Lords And Ladies, Feet of Clay... etc. Nope, I can't pick one, but if I absolutely had to save only one from my burning house, then it'd be Reaper Man, or Carpe Jugulum. Maybe Sourcery would get a look in. And of course Witches Abroad.... Remind me to keep lots of smoke alarms all over the hosue (Some of you might get that one).

I have just read The Hobbit (only once, 'cause I have to return it).
    I was a bit underwhelmed, to be honest. Not the epic story I was expecting. Tolkien IS a great storyteller... but it seemed very.. childish? I'll expect better from The Lord of the Rings (which I'm currently trying to raise funds for. I accept visa and mastercard).

Oh, and I nearly forgot Small Gods - that's great too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

I think the Hobbit was wriiten as a childrens book by JRRT. You'll find Lord of the Rings a lot more involved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as far as I know:

The Hobbit was originally a bedtime story for his son. It was only later that he decided to write it down.

When that was recognised, he started on LoTR and used the fact that he was a linguist and historian to give it 'depth'. Afterwards, he decided to explain a bit more and wrote Tales of the Unicorn , and Lost Tales.

Personally, I'd recommend reading:

Lost Tales
    Tales of the Unicorn
    the Hobbit
    LotR

in that order.

Favourite book ever?
    Count Belisarius, a 1/2 fict. 1/2 historical novel about a kickass roman general (much more realistic than Lion of Macedon - which I also like).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

I'd say JRRT indulged in the auld wacky tobaccy every now and then. He always has the pipe in most photos of him smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Again, id have to go for The Hobbit, simply because it was so bewitching whe i was younger. I can remember reading it vividly. These days, my fave would be The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy, or Startide Rising by David Brin..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You have to read this trilogy :

The Nights Dawn Trilogy, by Peter F.Hamilton.

1)The Reality Dysfunction

2)The Neutronium Alchemist

3)THe Naked God

Changes the way you think, or just opens it all up...also a good read

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Changes the way you think???

Nah, it's just a very good space opera! smile.gif

That said I still have to find #3 then start it over so maybe 2nd time round it'll change my life... smile.gif

Boss, where are you in .de?

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Trojan, do you not think that your impressions of what the future could be like were not influenced by those books, mine where, in the general sense...I mean of course I'm going to have a son called Joshua who is going to save the Universe(yes his father was Marcus if you followed closely enough!).

I'm in Munich at the moment & having some laugh.

****, have to go move the Lady McBeth, it's blocking the trucks from Dell.

rolleyes.gif

Re: Reality Dysfunction
    Vols 2 & 3 going cheap (no canary jokes pls),
    at Vibes and Scribes(Cork).

ads!...noooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Kid: Sly fox and red hen (OK, very young kid!)
    Now: Good Omens by Terry P. Fukin hilarious and an excellent story. Actually, I haven't read that in months, think I'll go read it smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yes! Good Omens is an amazingly cool and funny book. 2 pages into the book and I was already laughing big time smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Fav trilogy LOTRs. Still waiting for the 2nd
    part of cartoon version

LOTR isn't a trilogy, it's a single novel in 6 books available split into 3 volumes. There is no closure at the end of each volume, and they aren't self-contained to any degree.

The 2nd part of the cartoon version will never be made, it was supposed to be a one-part cartoon but they ran out of money.

A live action version will be made (in three films), first is due for release december (or is it december after next).

Re Ads comment by BossArky,
    No I do not work for Vibes and Scribes nor have any relationship with them other than buying the odd book off of them. Posted the info about Night's Dawn because I enjoyed the series and that the book in question was not yet out in paperback. Ads are for personal gain, and all I was doing was spreading info, which I thought was one of the purposes this board.

BTW Re: LOTR, 3 books usually means a trilogy.

Yours pedantically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mark_The_Whale

Usually. But a certain guide we are all aware of defies this rule.

Mark the Whale. AKA Xavius the Whale.

Advertisement