Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rarr

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

The spoon cult is SILLY. Stop it. Continuing it is like not doing the proper American Pie dance (Which I did notice happening in 2003). I was responsible for bringing it back in 2003, and I deeply regret it although it was fun at the time. From what I heard in my first year of the summer courses, it started in 1999, possibly involving Galen (spelling?), but could some even older oldies enlighten me?

And another thing about "old skool" CTYIers etc. While the CTYI of next year may disgust and scare me, it's still CTYI. CTYI is shaped by the people who go, people who do what others are doing and people who don't. the whole experience is about finding new people, new things and new habits. And frankly, while most nevermores will be irritated by the new wave of ctyiers, we're all just jealous that it'll never be the same as it was for us, we'll never have the same experience anywhere else, and we can never go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

ie. YOU BITTER FOOLS!! LET US HAVE OUR FUN!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yeah, Hugh kind of put my point better than I did. There is no "old skool" CTYI. There were just people who went before us and who are now gone who we miss and who made CTYI what we aim to try and continue making it. CTYI '06 is a terrifying prospect for me though, for too many reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

nosmo wrote:
    The spoon cult is SILLY. Stop it. Continuing it is like not doing the proper American Pie dance (Which I did notice happening in 2003).

That REALLY annoys me. Granted bouncing up and down randomly is fun but it is not American Pie!!! I screamed quite violently this year at the people not observing proper tradition at the discos...

Meh. I didn't really join in the disco's this year. Kept getting hit with a big chunk of Look-At-All-The-Happy-Couples syndrome. Inevitably this means the same will happen next year so, meh. I'm not a huge believer in taking part in traditions, I just hate people who ruin them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭abraham lincoln

CTYI '06 is a terrifying prospect for me though, for too many reasons.

don't look that far ahead when we've still got '05 to get through and in truth '05 has all the makings of really sucking mainly because nearly everyone of our, if you will, generation of ctyiers are now to old, the people who we've always Associated with ctyi won't be there, most of our friends cant come back and we're facing a whole new group of newbies! damn being one year younger then your peers
    nosmo wrote:
    And frankly, while most nevermores will be irritated by the new wave of ctyiers, we're all just jealous that it'll never be the same as it was for us, we'll never have the same experience anywhere else, and we can never go back.

yeah... that about sums up the feeling perfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭abraham lincoln

sh!t. its just hit me that i am now officially a nevermore...
    b0ll0x to that!

I may be young enough to go back in '06. The point was, everyone I'll have come to associate the place will be gone and forgotten. I think we were coming at the same point but we're misunderstanding each other. I aim to make '05 as good as is humanly possible because the hell if I'm going quietly into the good night as far as CTYI is concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

further to Hugh's point, I think my sister was a tad more than surprised at how much it had changed from her days (1993-1994). Although the Thursday/bathrobes thing was active at that stage, if I recall her nostalgic verses correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i can't really relate as much to this whole nevermoredom thing, because although i consider ctyi a part of me, i would never consider myself a part of ctyi. the majority of the major traditions do nothing but confuse the hell out of me and i feel that once my time's over, that's it. i'll just have to close that door for good.

• Advertisement

Meh. I don't really think I'll ever forget it but yeah, when you leave that's pretty much it. You have your friends and memories and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

And, of course, the coveted RA job

Yeah but easier said than done man. For me:

-Right, let's see your record as a student. Hmmm... Err, yeah, we'll get back to you.

:rolleyes:

It'd still be nice though. I'll probably apply but I don't see it being the most pleasant of jobs by the time I'm old enough to do it. I might even be glad when they turn me down. Wow. There's a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

crash_000 wrote:
    .....so many noobs. so very very many noobs....
    :/
    Raphael wrote:
    coveted RA job

ahahahahhaha, hahahahahahaha

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Raphael wrote:
    The spoon cult of 04 was a mockery. In the final week of 03 the last of the "old skool" CTYIers (steven, hugh, garog, macdara[who had 1 more year, but still]) brought the cult back as something to do in their final days.

"old skool"? No offence but HAHAHAHA... In my eyes they're part of the n00bs. Albeit they're much more fun and less annoying than the n00by n00bs.

The spoon cult was quite dead as the last of my generation (bar the very VERY few exceptions) left in 2000. I was never into it or involved in it but it was there during my years that was enough.

Come up with something new. Something different. Preferably not a cult cause then you're back in the same loop trying to live up to something that'll never happen or trying to resurrect something that's long long long since dead. Leave well enough alone. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well In all fairness we did have Karlstock.....

And in my eye's Podge, they were the old skool....

Guess it's all relative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Karlstock 04!!!!
    Wwkd??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

halenger wrote:
    Come up with something new. Something different. Preferably not a cult cause then you're back in the same loop trying to live up to something that'll never happen or trying to resurrect something that's long long long since dead. Leave well enough alone. :eek:

We tried podge. We really tried. There was the holidays, for example-mock holidays loike, but Sheila stamped them out. And many other things, which when I have had some proper sleep I'll probably remember. They just...didn't work. I think it's kinda pointless thinking about these things though, because no matter where you go everything comes back in fashion eventually. CTYI, while different, aint different enough to be excluded from that.

Oh! The una game. That was good. Great, infact.
    Raphael wrote:
    The spoon cult of 04 was a mockery. In the final week of 03 the last of the "old skool" CTYIers (steven, hugh, garog, macdara[who had 1 more year, but still]) brought the cult back as something to do in their final days. It was dead before, and it's dead after. Leave it rest in peace, or I shall personally melt any plastic spoon I see worn in 05. Thank you
    nosmo wrote:
    The spoon cult is SILLY. Stop it.

The irony.

Meh. They both make the same point. No more spoons damn it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

i hafta admit.. the spoon thing was kinda annoying.. and karlstock was fun only for those who had a clue what it was about... we're not all mindless sheep ^^ when i was in ctyi in '01.. i don't think we had anything..... did we????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

nothing that made an impact on me to make me rememebr it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

halenger wrote:
    "old skool"? No offence but HAHAHAHA... In my eyes they're part of the n00bs. Albeit they're much more fun and less annoying than the n00by n00bs.
    Why thank you, although odds are I've been in CTYI longer than you :P (Therefore, my penis is bigger)

Also, nice sig Neo ;) *fap*

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

is being an RA (a) a really really really really good idea and that's why everyone applies for it (b) a pile of toss that they don't pay you enough for (c) some happy medium between (a) and (b) ??????

please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

is being an RA (a) a really really really really good idea and that's why everyone applies for it (b) a pile of toss that they don't pay you enough for (c) some happy medium between (a) and (b) ??????

please

Whos everyone exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Yeah, thats about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I intend applying - either way i need a job this summer and i'd prefer to have a job where i feel i made a difference - i know my first RA made a difference in my life (ran into him not all that long ago - man, james was cool :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

was that james the guy who always wore shorts and had an american accent and that could speak like 7 languages?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

thats the one.

• Advertisement

James Bell?

He was my TA for Discrete Maths...He rocked

Or is this a different guy who always wore shorts

Advertisement