Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi has a laptop again

• 06-11-2004 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭

http://ireland.aldi.com/

what u think, is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

In my humble opinion, its well worth it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think its worth it for the
    processor,
    battery life,
    hard drive,
    ram.

Its a good buy for Ireland anyway :D
    I have heard the Gericom laptops do heat up quite a bit,
    but you should be ok with a centrino :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Looks excellent to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

* Intel® CentrinoTM Mobile Technology * Intel® Pentium® M processor 735 * Intel® Pentium® M processor 735(1.7Ghz) * Multi Format DVD Burner * DVD R/RW * Intel PRO/WIRELESS * LAN 2200 b/g * ATI Mobility Radeon * 9700 with 128MB * High resolution * 15.1" SXGA+ Display * 80 GB Hard disk * 512 MB DDR RAM 333MHz * 4 in 1 Card Reader * Soundsystem * 2 internal speakers, internal microphone * 3x USB 2.0, * Firewire IEEE1394 * VGA-Out, Mic-In, Line-Out, * TV-Out (s-video) * 56k Modem V.90 and fast ethernet 10/100Mbit LAN (includes telephone cable) * Battery: Smart Li-Ion battery (8 cells).
    nothing wrong with these specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

The only gripe I'd have is the display max res of 1024x768.

• Advertisement

BTW, The same laptop complete with 1 Gig of ram is 5 yoyos cheaper direct from
    Gericom hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

The only thing Carbsy if you read closely it says "up to 80GB HD/up to 1024 memory". What you are actually getting is 60GB HD and 512mb memory and then there is something about delivery times "ATTENTION! LONGER DELIVERY TIMES".I think the processor is less and the memory on the G-card is less also. So i think all in all Aldi's not a bad bet

Just on a side note lads if you were just looking for a desktop replacement and not do worried about the battery life or it getting hot is the normal p4 3.0ghz better/faster than the M p1.7?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

according to the poster in Aldi it says its 25% faster than a P4m 4.06ghz

Actually I take it all back as the one on the Gericom site is not the same laptop.Aldis one is slightly higher spec (SXGA+ screen and 1.7ghz cpu).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If it's the same weight as the one on the Gericom site it's a bit heavy innit?

(maybe I'm just predjudiced as my current old laptop is a little weighty and what I really want is a nice Dell Latitude D400 or similar)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

cubix wrote:
    Just on a side note lads if you were just looking for a desktop replacement and not do worried about the battery life or it getting hot is the normal p4 3.0ghz better/faster than the M p1.7?

Cheers

Yes. But not by as much as you might think. I have a laptop with a desktop P4 and I wish I got something with a better battery life, if only so I didn't have to plug the laptop in when watching DVD's. Mine only lasts for about an hour on the batter. P4/2.8 and a 16" screen eat the battery life.

As an aside I'm not a bit fan of mega high screen resolutions. I like my text a bit bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

That looks like a good lappy lads :)

What kind of weight is that? Do you know if it comes with a bag and stuff?
    Looks perfect for me tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

im def gonna get 1 (crosses fingers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

it say in very small writing on the pic "24 something something etc..." does that mean they do credit over a 2 year period on it?

That's a 24 month warranty and also a 24 month inclusive all risk insurance. :)

Lidl and Aldi don't do credit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I've got an IBM T41 laptop from work with the same CPU in it... just thought you might want to know that I get around 7hours out of it with both batteries in... so one battery would last probably around 3,5h.

I had the IBM T30 before, which has a normal pentium CPU and not the Mobile CPU thats in the one I have now (the same thats in the Aldi laptop), and battery life was about half...

I'd strongly recommend getting a laptop with the Pentium M CPU if you are going to travel with it... if you'll have a powersource close most of the times, you should probably get a normal CPU in the laptop... batterytime is half and it gets warmer... but the CPU will be faster and the laptop cheaper...

Personally, I travel all the time (averaging 2 flights a week right now), and let me tell you, I LOVE my new laptop... not having to run around airports looking for power is great (and the built in wireless card with virtually all airports having wireless internet isn't hurting either).... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi Folks,

I actually bought one of these in the Aldi in Clane a few weeks back - they had it as an "opening offer" for the new store.

I'm really happy with it and to answer a few of the queries from other posters:
    1. Yes you will get 6 hours of battery life, provided you have the screen on the minimium brightness setting - which is bright enough for me anyway.
    2. Yes it comes with a bag, but it is pretty crappy - I bought a better one.
    3. It doesn't get that hot - it certainly doesn't get as hot as the Dell D600's we have in work with the same CPU.

I think someone else pointed this out, but Aldi don't take credit cards - cash, Laser or cheque are the only form of payment they'll accept.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Hopefully ill get one of these two (well my dad will!)

But as has been aksed, but yet to be answered, would it not be a bit heavy?

Looks like a first class laptop tho

• Advertisement

I don't find it heavy - but that really depends on what you're planning on doing with it. If you're going to be carrying it around for hours on end, hopping on and off planes etc then it's probably a bit on the heavy side. For day to day use I've found it fine, but it really is down to what your plans for it are.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Thanks Mr. Fagan. Just a question for anybody out there I am going to buy one on thurs when they come out in Ballincollig in Cork. Haven't bought this kinda stuff before, Should I que outside before the shop opens or is there any need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

well anytime i go for anything from aldi/lidl in longford i go 30-45 mins early this que usualy start at 8-8:30ish :/

What! you serious!
    they sell out that quickly?

so you say, they open at 9 for instance so go up at 8:30 or 8:15?

lll be up for that if its the case but is it nessecary? ill be going to the liffey valley one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I'm thinking a better get down early then on the thursday.... :confused:

Aye me too,I'll report back here on Thursday afternoon with the verdict! :)

Is it not Aldi that do that" will take your name an order one for you " thingy if they are out of stock?

I doubt it, usually these things are so cheap because they order a bulk and then thats it, dont restock, just sell the bulk and thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

Hi,

Without trying to hi-jack this thread i was just wondering if this would be an alternative to the aldi laptop. Its specs are pretty similar apart from the 80GB hard drive, (the dell has 60GB). I suppose it could be classed as a bargin, so it probably deserves to be in this thread. Thing i was wondering is, if you were to miss out on the Aldi offer by either being too lazy or not having the cash right now, would the offer below be a good option?

Cheers.

Processor Intel® Pentium® M 735 (1.7 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB) 15.4" WXGA LCD Screen 12151 [210-13073] 1
    Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP2 Home Edition (No Media) 20633 [619-10456][640-10320] 11
    Memory 512MB 333MHz DDR RAM (2x256MB) (Was 256MB!) 11952 [310-10307][370-11248] 3
    Keyboard Dell Keyboard with Touchpad 12020 [583-10725] 4
    Video Card 128MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 PRO TURBO 6627 [490-10309] 6
    Hard Drive 60GB 4200RPM IDE Hard Drive 4665 [400-11303] 8
    Mouse Dell USB Optical Mouse 7178 [570-10152] 12
    Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet Network Card 7023 [540-10153] 13
    Modem Internal 56K v.92 Capable Fax Modem 6782 [530-10757][640-10239] 14
    CD ROM/DVD ROM Modular 8X DVD+/-RW with Software 16858 [429-11337][429-11197][429-11130] 16
    Wireless LAN Solution - WiFi Intel® ProWireless 2200 802.11b/g 13599 [555-10309] 19
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 7.0 9106 [630-11001] 25
    Support Service 1Y CAR (Collect and Return) 9928 [680-11635] 30
    Installation Services No Installation Service Selected 13142 [683-11552] 32
    Security Software McAfee Security Centre 90 day Trial Version 11904 [650-10116] 40
    Power Supply AC Adapter D-Series 65W Power Cord 5614 [450-10579] 41
    Dell Picture Studio Dell Picture Studio - Photo Album Standard (60 Day Trial) 11900 [640-10343] 85
    Paint Shop Dell Picture Studio - Paint Shop Pro 8.0 (60 Day Trial) 11902 [640-10344] 86
    Primary Battery 9 Cell 72WHr LI-ION Primary Battery 5667 [451-10120] 112

ACCESSORIES

Item Description Qty Unit Price
    Incl. VAT
    Free Carry Case
    Date & Time: Tuesday 9 November 2004 11:00 PM 1 €0.00

Total: €1,559.97
    Incl. VAT

• Advertisement

There wasn't much demand for them in the store in Clane when I got mine - I think they sold two on the day it opened. But I guess it really depends on demand, if enough people show up early they may well be out of stock pretty quickly...

Re: the Dell quoted above, the real difference (to me) is in the warrantee; the Dell only comes with 1 year, where as the Aldi laptop has two years and comes with 2 years insurance.

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The new Aldi in Athlone has one on view in a perspex display case. I must say it looks good. I was afraid that it would look a bit plasticky but it doesn't. The spec and insurance are excellent, all in all I'd say it would be a good buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

cubix wrote:
    Is it not Aldi that do that" will take your name an order one for you " thingy if they are out of stock?

Yes. I did this last May. You must find The Manager....the minions will not do it for you. Takes 3-5 weeks to come in.

M

Think i'll just wander down at 8/8.30 to Parnell St....want to get the laptop but more worried that the cheapo DVD player will sell out soonish.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Anyone got any benchmarks. How would this lappy perform in 3DMark 2001 / 2003 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Anyone want to pick me up a pair of the zoom binoculars they have there tomorrow??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭alanowx

Hi PaddyFagan,

Was there any reduction in price for the "opening offer"?

Aldi are opening a new store in Wexford on 18th and are displaying a picture of the Laptop. No details given. Perhaps they are just showing this because it is the main offer tomorrow. Then again there might be a good reduction to attract customers.

I travelled to Ennis Co Clare 3 years ago to get €500 off a laptop when Lidl were opening their new store. A great bargain at €1100 at the time.

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

No special reduction at the Aldi Tralee store opening a few weeks back.

I bought the Lidl laptop instead. Though the battery life isn't half as good, it does have a 3 year warranty instead of the two years with the Aldi one. Helps with the piece of mind imo.

> Was there any reduction in price for the "opening offer"?
    No, I'm afraid not - The approach seems to be to offer a selection of the "best" weekly offers from the few weeks around the opening date of the new store for it's first week. I guess they're trying to create the impression that "Aldi is full of bargains".

Paddy

got my hands on it....sweet looking little machine. Bit of agro in the line this morning with a few line jumpers but the security guard sorted that out....loads of people getting dvd players and about 7 people getting the laptops....and hundreds of people going for xmas decorations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Lidl will open their new Store on Parnell Street on the 25th of November, and their opening offer will be a Laptop with 30 % Discount on the regular Lidl price.

Just to let you know in advance... :-)

• Advertisement

Q'd from 8 at Aldi in Cork,was the first there! :) Got my grubby lil' mits on one,lush! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭brian_ire

Thanks for the heads up Dsap, can i ask where u heard about this offer and is it the same laptop lidl were offering last week, the A64?

Cheers

Brian

embraer170 wrote:
    No special reduction at the Aldi Tralee store opening a few weeks back.

I bought the Lidl laptop instead. Though the battery life isn't half as good, it does have a 3 year warranty instead of the two years with the Aldi one. Helps with the piece of mind imo.

The battery life would be very dependent on which CPU is used. A64, P4, P4M or Centrino. The latter should have the longest battery life.

I say the one in Aldi a while back when they had them. The layout and chassis was very similar to the year old Sony one I have. The only significant difference would have been the screen.

The battery life would be very dependent on which CPU is used. A64, P4, P4M or Centrino. The latter should have the longest battery life.

There's no such thing as a Centrino CPU - it's just a Pentium M,Intel chipset and Wi-Fi combination.

carbsy wrote:
    There's no such thing as a Centrino CPU - it's just a Pentium M,Intel chipset and Wi-Fi combination.

I thought the P4-M and Pentium-M were different CPU's and that the Pentium-M is usually only found in Centrino laptops? So while the Pentium-M is not a "Centrino" its synonymous with that term.

I take your point though. :D

I woke up with a savage hangover and looked for something to complain about! :D But you are correct about the there being a P4M and a Pentium M...

P.S. Well happy with the Gericom lappy.It's a tad bulky/heavy but offers great performance/battery life ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Where abouts are LIDL opening on Parnell Street and where did you hear about the opening offers?

I thought the P4-M and Pentium-M were different CPU's and that the Pentium-M is usually only found in Centrino laptops? So while the Pentium-M is not a "Centrino" its synonymous with that term.

I take your point though. :D

Also (since I looked it up) older Pentium M CPUS are known as "Banias" and the newer ones are called "Dothan". None of them are actually called centrino.

Yup, the Gericom one I got from Aldi yesterday has the newer dothan (2mb cache) core... so happy out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

The New Lidl will open in the same building where the new Jurys Hotel just opened. In fact, the whole complex was more or less built for Lidl. The only reason for the hotel was, that they couldn`t get planning permission without it.

I know it from a very good friend who works in Senior Mangment of Lidl Ireland (Lidl Ireland Managment, and not Store Managment). So far he has always been spot on with his informations. Not sure though, how many of them they will stock. I guess about 30.

• Advertisement
Advertisement