Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Diceman

Options
  • 03-07-2000 4:13pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting it off a friend soon enough and from what I hear it is supposed to be deadly.Is it that good?

Opinions please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yeah, ive read it twice.
    its ok. not great.
    bit boring actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Ooohhh! I bet that's going to hurt! biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

well worth reading, makes u consider livin by the dice smile.gif i.e. takes away the responsibility of making day to day choices the dice is your god.

1-3 I'll reply to BossArky's post
    4/5 I'll head out for lunch
    6 I'll track BossArky down and hospitalise him.
    Lucky you I rolled a 2 wink.gif

The follow up book is crap though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It's taken me sometime but i've finally started on The Diceman. For anyone who is unfamilar with it, it's about a psychologist who bored by life begins to allow his decsions to be taken by a dice. At first the dice is only used for trivial decsions but soon he finds himself unable to live life without the dice. It's an enjoyable read, slightly farfetched at times though. What did everyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Really enjoyed it.. Went on to read some of his other books..
    Think it even spawned a couple of TV shows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    It's taken me sometime but i've finally started on The Diceman. For anyone who is unfamilar with it, it's about a psychologist who bored by life begins to allow his decsions to be taken by a dice. At first the dice is only used for trivial decsions but soon he finds himself unable to live life without the dice. It's an enjoyable read, slightly farfetched at times though. What did everyone think?

As I recall the first decision taken by the dice was far from Trivial...

Is this book based on a true story or is it just made up. Read it quite a while ago and was told then that it was a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    As I recall the first decision taken by the dice was far from Trivial...

True, i should have said generally :)

As far as i know it's not based on reality although there have been people who've lived the life of the dice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

sounds kinda crazy, i like it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I read this when I was about 15. It rocked then. Great corruption for a teen. The follow up book was really bad. Its a very funny book but sags in places too. Well worth buying though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

who's it written by?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Luke Rheinhart.

People thought it was a true story cos the main characters name is Luke Rheinhart as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

It's an allegory for the modern world offering us too much choice, and also a nihilistic tale that essentially it doesn't matter what we choose to do, the random chaos of the world ultimately destroys us...

the ultimate anarchists cookbook really - surrender your responsibility! become one with the dice! have another take your decisions for you!

MMmmm - sounds a bit like what everyone does anyway...

Advertisement