Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falluja tactics - Bush people, justify this.

Options
  • 06-11-2004 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Falluja was completely sealed off yesterday in preparation for an attack by the American forces. There are some insurgents in Falluja that they wanted to get. What was their first target? The hospital. They didn't just bomb it, they levelled it. Ambulances were not even able to get out to help the casualties. They also did the same to a medical warehouse. So their tactics are, before attacking, to ensure casualties, including all the civilian ones, can't even be treated. 3 days after his election, this is an example of GWB's moral values. No wonder they don't favour the International Criminal Court, as this is definitely a war crime and against the Geneva Convention.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Flukey wrote:
    3 days after his election,

Well, thats just it, isn't it. You can be damned sure they're expecting some tough fighting and even - shock horror - some US fatalaties when they go in their.....couldn't have that pre election day...

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

do you have a source? the bbc only report some damage to a medical storehouse.

The attacks happened as US forces appeared poised to launch a major offensive against the insurgent city of Falluja.

A doctor at the city's only hospital told the BBC on Saturday that between 100 and 200 US bombs had hit the city over 24 hours, killing two people and injuring seven on Friday.

Speaking by telephone, Dr Ahmed Ranem accused US-led forces of seeking to "destroy" the city where many people, he added, remained in their houses.

No foreign fighters had been admitted to his hospital as casualties, he said, despite US reports that forces loyal to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi are active in Falluja.

"Can the bombs that fall on Falluja see foreign fighters?" the doctor asked, saying casualties at Falluja General Hospital included women and children.

Renewed US artillery attacks on the city overnight damaged a storehouse for medical supplies as well as dozens of homes, witnesses said.

Overnight a column of armoured vehicles and Humvee jeeps carried out attacks in the outskirts of Falluja.

US Marine commanders described this to reporters as a feint designed to draw out the rebels and provide fresh targets for the air power and artillery.

BBC correspondent Paul Wood, who is embedded with the US Marines near the city, says this is all part of what appears to be a steady increasing of pressure on the insurgents.

He says US commanders are confident of their victory but says many questions still remain, such as whether the insurgents will stay and fight.

UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan, has written to both the US and the Iraqi to ask them to think carefully before they embark on the operation.

bbc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

US strikes raze Falluja hospital

_40496809_hospital203bgrab.jpg

A hospital has been razed to the ground in one of the heaviest US air raids in the Iraqi city of Falluja.
    Witnesses said only the facade remained of the small Nazzal Emergency Hospital in the centre of the city. There are no reports on casualties.

A nearby medical supplies storeroom and dozens of houses were damaged as US forces continued preparing the ground for an expected major assault.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3988433.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

daveirl wrote:
    According to this "inside" report 100'000 people are still there. I would take it with a large amount saline chemicals. Either way even if the city is devoid of citizens leveling the hospital is not a good move.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

He says US commanders are confident of their victory but says many questions still remain, such as whether the insurgents will stay and fight.

If they're smart they won't stay - they'll just melt away and sneak in to attack somewhere else the US aren't looking.

If I was in their position my thinking would be that as it's impossible the gain a tactical victory over the Americans, anyway that's not necessary for them as what you need to do is keep the war going until the political will of the US government to stay crumbles - so there is nothing to be gained in staying to fight a pitched battle where the Americans have the advantage (well it worked for the Vietnamese communists).

Of course if the Americans are smart they'll anticipate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

leveling the hospital is not a good move.
    Now there is an understatement.

If this was by Al Q'aida in Philadelphia or Hamas in Tel Aviv, there would be outrage. This is wrong, whoever does it. Levelling a hospital to prevent the causalties in the next assault being treated, is a disgrace. The perpatrator of the act does not make it any more or less wrong, though some would have you believe so.

Well if they keep bombing hospitals and houses, there won't be much of the population left. Does that make it alright then? Is it a case of "it doesn't matter that we killed everyone that was there because at least we got all the insurgents,"? This is the line that is being given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

By Jack Wheeler
    Friday, April 2, 2004
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/4/2/100042.shtml

In the Senate of Ancient Rome, Marcus Porcius Cato – 234-149 B.C., subsequently known as Cato the Elder to distinguish him from his great-grandson Cato the Younger – became famous for concluding every single speech he gave, no matter what the subject, with the exhortation: Carthago delenda est. Carthage must be destroyed.

Today, we need senators and congressmen to conclude every speech they give with the exhortation: Fallujah delenda est. Fallujah must be destroyed.

I don’t mean metaphorically. I mean for the entire population of the city, every man, woman and child, given 24 hours to leave and be dispersed in resettlement camps, moved in with relatives in another village, wherever, and the town turned into a ghost town.

Then the entire city carpet-bombed by B-52s into rubble, the rubble ground into powdered rubble by Abrams tanks, and the powdered rubble sown with salt as the Romans did with Carthage. Fallujah must be physically obliterated from the face of this earth.

I was listening to a bit of audio from a person who had been in Iraq for nine months at he beginning of the year, it had been estimated there 53 different resistance groups in Iraq, so the questions is which ones are the Us fighting or which one would anyone support?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Flukey wrote:
    So their tactics are, before attacking, to ensure casualties, including all the civilian ones, can't even be treated.

What purpose would it serve for US commanders to stop civilians being treated for injuries?

Seriously, all I can see in the above sentance is hysterical hyperbole.

Flukey wrote:
    3 days after his election, this is an example of GWB's moral values.

Bush would have had nothing to do with it. The way it works is for Bush, or Rumsfeld, or any number of other high-ups to say they want (say..) any major strongholds of insurgents to be attacked on force. It's up to the commanders on the ground around falluja and in the pentagon/CentCom to decide how they conduct the operation (which would be where somone decided the hospital should be bombed).
    Flukey wrote:
    No wonder they don't favour the International Criminal Court, as this is definitely a war crime and against the Geneva Convention.

Oh look, yet another war crime incrimination™. Im glad you remembered that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

chewy wrote:
    Today, we need senators and congressmen to conclude every speech they give with the exhortation: Fallujah delenda est. Fallujah must be destroyed.

I don’t mean metaphorically. I mean for the entire population of the city, every man, woman and child, given 24 hours to leave and be dispersed in resettlement camps, moved in with relatives in another village, wherever, and the town turned into a ghost town.

Then the entire city carpet-bombed by B-52s into rubble, the rubble ground into powdered rubble by Abrams tanks, and the powdered rubble sown with salt as the Romans did with Carthage. Fallujah must be physically obliterated from the face of this earth.
    What's the point in moving any of them to camps or relatives? They'll only start the same crack. Everyone in Carthage was either killed or sold as slaves. This Wheeler guy is a pussy liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Moriarty wrote:
    What purpose would it serve for US commanders to stop civilians being treated for injuries?

Bush would have had nothing to do with it. The way it works is for Bush, or Rumsfeld, or any number of other high-ups to say they want (say..) any major strongholds of insurgents to be attacked on force. It's up to the commanders on the ground around falluja and in the pentagon/CentCom to decide how they conduct the operation (which would be where somone decided the hospital should be bombed).

its nice how people will try to justify and defend even the most henious of acts.

Good thing its just some poor iraqi hospital being bombed and not the Rotunda eh?

You make me sick.

and yes by the way, it is a war crime. It DOES violate the geneva convention which specifically forbids the deliberate targetting of civilian infrastructure, especially something like a hospital. So despite your hysterical hyperbole, its still a war crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

What the US is currently doing in Iraq is a disgrace. If there was any *justice* in the world, they would have been done for war crimes by now :mad: We all know that the biggest democracy in the world cannot be charged with war crimes, it is just not the done thing :rolleyes:

Memnoch wrote:
    and yes by the way, it is a war crime. It DOES violate the geneva convention which specifically forbids the deliberate targetting of civilian infrastructure, especially something like a hospital. So despite your hysterical hyperbole, its still a war crime.

And you have a copy of the plan of attack, and/or an on-the-record statement from a senior US official saying something like "yes we knew this was a hospital and yes, we decided to batter it into the ground cause we hate all ragheads - civilian or insurgent" ????

The only reason I'm asking is that you're certain that it was - and let me use your term here, with appropriate emphasis: the deliberate targetting of civilian infrastructure.

Isn't it amazing how the only time the US military make mistakes (one would conclude, from listening to some) is when they target their own forces by accident. Nothing else is accidental....nope....not a chance. Its deliberate, and its evil. If American's aren't killing Americans, then its all just deliberate barbarism hidden under some veneer of incompetence......

Having said that, its not like the hyperbole doesn't run in both directions. Someone on CNN yesterday was describing Fallujah as being under "Taliban-like rule" which the civilians needed to be saved from.....and then in the next sentence pointed out the exodus of citizens fleeing from the city. Such brutal oppression.....letting people leave in their cars like that without valeting them for them first....

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Has there been any report it was an accident? Don't they paint the roofs of hospitals so people know not to bomb them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

bonkey wrote:
    And you have a copy of the plan of attack, and/or an on-the-record statement from a senior US official saying something like "yes we knew this was a hospital and yes, we decided to batter it into the ground cause we hate all ragheads - civilian or insurgent" ????

The only reason I'm asking is that you're certain that it was - and let me use your term here, with appropriate emphasis: the deliberate targetting of civilian infrastructure.

Isn't it amazing how the only time the US military make mistakes (one would conclude, from listening to some) is when they target their own forces by accident. Nothing else is accidental....nope....not a chance. Its deliberate, and its evil. If American's aren't killing Americans, then its all just deliberate barbarism hidden under some veneer of incompetence......

Having said that, its not like the hyperbole doesn't run in both directions. Someone on CNN yesterday was describing Fallujah as being under "Taliban-like rule" which the civilians needed to be saved from.....and then in the next sentence pointed out the exodus of citizens fleeing from the city. Such brutal oppression.....letting people leave in their cars like that without valeting them for them first....

jc

your entire arguement rests on providing something which you know is impossible to provide. You want me to give you solid conclusive evidence that it was intentional. When you know its impossible because they will never admit to it. Its like asking someone to go inside a murderer's head.

But yes I am certain, and no this isn't the first time they have done this. But I guess its okay for you to argue semantics while people die, its so fashionable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

A Channel 4 news reporter embedded with US troops put it perfectly yesterday.....On the second invasion of Grozny, Russian troops and aircraft levelled the city and killed civilians and fighters alike. The plan was to finish the resistance once and for all. It had the oppostie effect, 10 years later Russian troops are still fighting massive resistance in Chechnya.

Memnoch wrote:
    your entire arguement rests on providing something which you know is impossible to provide. You want me to give you solid conclusive evidence that it was intentional. When you know its impossible because they will never admit to it. Its like asking someone to go inside a murderer's head.

By this logic, no-one can ever have been found guilty of any crime. If its impossible to prove guilt, then how the hell have we done it for centuries?????
    But yes I am certain, and no this isn't the first time they have done this. But I guess its okay for you to argue semantics while people die, its so fashionable
    Yes....I'm only arguing semantics because its fashionable. I'm not objecting to the practice of "I believe it but have no evidence, so it must be right" at all, which is clearly a more enlightened position to be in. Consider me suitable chastened.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

At the last count, by US military intelligence, the rebels numbered several thousand strong. But no one knows if they are still there.

Colonel Brandl said he would be quite happy if his marines could just walk into Falluja, but they were ready for a fight.

The threats include roadside bombs, suicide bombers, booby traps, bombs thrown from roof-tops, mosques used as sniper positions, and a small group of Islamist fighters who believe they are about to seek martyrdom in a holy war.

But for the highly-professional marines, Falluja is also a return to the simplicity of combat after the complexities of peacekeeping and an enemy that never shows itself.

"The marines that I have had wounded over the past five months have been attacked by a faceless enemy," said Colonel Brandl.

"But the enemy has got a face. He's called Satan. He lives in Falluja. And we're going to destroy him."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3989639.stm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wh00t!

I've always been pissed off that I missed the first set of crusades, now the second is just hotting up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

The 101st airborne division called themselves 'The Battered Bastards Of Bastogne' after being encircled and hammered there by the Germans for about a week 60 years ago in the battle of the bulge. I suggest the Iraqi dudes call themselves 'The F**ked F**kers Of Falluja'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

The hospital had no patients but was being occupied by murderers, the whole area is inhabited only by murdering terrorists and the War Crimes are those being perpetrated by those terrorists every day with suicide and car bombs that are slaughtering thousands upon thousands of innocent men, woman and children without comment or disapproval by contributors.

They need to be killed in the greatest possible numbers and in whatever manner can be found to produce the least injury to the Allied soldiers and civilians.

The tacit indifference to these daily war crimes by contributors is a national embarrassment.

chill wrote:
    The hospital had no patients but was being occupied by murderers,

Any ecvidence of this, or is this just going to be another situation where you glibly tell us to do our own research?

...and the War Crimes are those being perpetrated by those terrorists every day with suicide and car bombs that are slaughtering thousands upon thousands of innocent men, woman and children without comment or disapproval by contributors.

Isn't it amazing how, when the US kill innocents, it is an inevitable cost of war, brought about by a mixture of lack-of-perfefct-weapons, human fallability, and people being in the wrong place at the wrong time....none of which should, however, be used as a deterrant as the enemy cannot be allowed to hide behind a human shield.

When the insurgents do likewise, they're murdering terrorists who have no regard for innocent life and who should universally condemned.
    The tacit indifference to these daily war crimes by contributors is a national embarrassment.
    The embarrassment is the use of double-standards, where anyone claims that either side should be forgiven for killing innocents, but the other should be condemned for it.

jc

Moriarty wrote:

The purpose it serves is to ensure that the injured people can get no help whatsoever making it easier for the city to fall. Bush has nothing to do it with it? Wasn't he the one who started this invasion? Is he not Commander and Chief of the US Army? As you said it is up to him to give the orders to the generals as to what to do. He may not give the specific targets, but he and Rumsfeld are responsible. They know how their army operates and make no apologies for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

bonkey wrote:

jc

Sure, the US sometimes targets their own men, but like you said - they "target" their own men. When this happens in general it's just a mistake due to them thinking their own men are the enemy.
    So you're telling me, that the US Army, with all their intelligence, all their guided bombs didn't even have a map of falluja? You think they don't have every square inch of the place mapped out? And it's not like just one bomb hit the hospital - it was LEVELLED. Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1348213,00.html

SCORES of suicide bombers have been primed to defend Falluja against an imminent onslaught by American and Iraqi forces, according to insurgents’ commanders planning a ferocious counterattack.
    More than 100 cars laden with high explosives have been distributed throughout the city to be detonated when US marines mount a long-awaited ground offensive, they claim.

One commander said that 300 foreign fighters had volunteered for suicide bombings as American forces laid siege to the stronghold of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, America’s most wanted man in Iraq.

what do you make of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

It's an age old tactic, also taught at the School of the Americas, IIRC.
    Route out opposition to your puppet leader before a(n) (s)election.
    Such as we are seeing in Haiti at the moment.
    There's scores of examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

bonkey wrote:
    Isn't it amazing how, when the US kill innocents, it is an inevitable cost of war, brought about by a mixture of lack-of-perfefct-weapons, human fallability, and people being in the wrong place at the wrong time....none of which should, however, be used as a deterrant as the enemy cannot be allowed to hide behind a human shield.

When the insurgents do likewise, they're murdering terrorists who have no regard for innocent life and who should universally condemned.
    I agree. I think its necessary to separate out the overall justification for the war from the issue of how the war is being conducted. In reality, there is questionable conduct on all sides. Depending on your opinion of the war in general, you tend to highlight the atrocities of one side or another.

But thats war. To the people getting blown up, it doesn't matter whether it's US troops, insurgents or various opportunistic Islamic fanatics.

Advertisement