Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tell me one beneficial mutation example - if there is

• 06-11-2004 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

i always hear the same examples; antibiotics resistance of bacteria, ddt , anemia examples…. These are all invalid. Just please tell me one valid example of beneficial mutation if there is. Also backup your example please. By the way i suggest you to check this before you write http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

This might be better suited here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

i always hear the same examples; antibiotics resistance of bacteria, ddt , anemia examples…. These are all invalid. Just please tell me one valid example of beneficial mutation if there is. Also backup your example please. By the way i suggest you to check this before you write http://www.evolutiondeceit.com/
    When I wonder how complete dip****s like yourself manage to survive on a day-to-day basis, it actually does make me question "survival of the fittest" tbh.

So here's some friendly advice, Sam: Take your rednecked, uninformed, myopic, fundamentalist Christian/Islamic bullsh*t and shove it up your evolution-denying arse, you stupid ****ing moron. Nobody wants to listen to your crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I was going to give that site some credence, even if it immediately brought up religion (There's nothing to say that the universe wasn't created by some all-powerful being, and plenty of scientists reconcile their theories with their faith), but they went and brought up that old cookie about eyeballs. "what good is half an eyeball?" is not evidence against evolution. That misses the point entirely. The eye evolved from light sensitive patches of cells that merely got better at it. Computer simulations alone can show all the evidence you need that an eyeball can evolve from scratch.

Remember, we're essentially a mutant variant of ape. I imagine God likes a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

what does sam get for constantly putting those stupid links up around here???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I can think of quite a few beneficial mutations. The X-Men! Mwhahahahaha!

• Advertisement

Whoops, I forgot, he's that guy.

What a waste of a counter-argument...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

what does sam get for constantly putting those stupid links up around here???

12 virgins in paradise, of course. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

blinky2.gif

clearly a superior fish

Pet wrote:
    12 virgins in paradise, of course.

Surely if that were true, we'd all be doing it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

One eh ?
    http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&p=1&S1=4,766,077.WKU.&OS=PN/4,766,077&RS=PN/4,766,077

There were two strains of a species of bacteria one rough, one smooth. The rough ones caused frost to form earlier and hence fruit would be damaged. The smooth form could not be patented since it was the product of nature, so they mutated the rough form to a smooth one so they could control it's use.

Background to the ICE problem.
    http://are.berkeley.edu/~ggraff/agrilinks.html

Mutation of naturally occuring organisms with mustard gas, UV radiation and other nasty things in the hope that a mutant will provide an increased yield of product is fairly standard practise in bio tech industries, especially in the days before DNA manupilation techniques were as advanded as nowadays.

Products like Penecillin (& other antibiotics) Citric Acid, Monosodium Glutamate etc. which occur in many processed and oriental foods owe a lot to artifically induced mutations.

Had a quick look at the link - psudoscience
    cf. the Nazi's had a book by printed something like 100 scientists agains Einstein.
    Einstein simply pointed out that if they were right only they would only need one scientist. Likewise there are almost no european sites that refute creationism, they aren't needed.

• Advertisement

Also, where would beer be without evolving yeast? It's a terrifying question to answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Coconut

Sarky wrote:
    I was going to give that site some credence...but they went and brought up that old cookie about eyeballs. "what good is half an eyeball?"

Huh?? Whats that eyeball thing about? I didn't see it.

My favourite bits are Scientific evidence refutes Darwinism comprehensively and reveals that the origin of our existence is not evolution but creation.
    It does?? Wow. Must have missed that..

Or Natural selection can never transform one species into another:....a frog into a crocodile, or a crocodile into a bird.
    Talk about selective...

Truth be told, I went deliberately looking for the eyeball argument. It's a classic used by creationists who don't understand what they're talking about, and a handy acid test. :)

It's there somewhere in the same bit you got your last quote from.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well would alot of mutations not be size related ie. becoming abnormaly large i know it has more problems than perks but being 11 foot tall wouldnt be awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Beneficial mutation:- opposable digits (thumbs).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my religion teacher in school told us that even scientists didn't truly believe in evolution because they went around calling it the *theory* of evolution.

thank god she was pretty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mordeth wrote:
    my religion teacher in school told us that even scientists didn't truly believe in evolution because they went around calling it the *theory* of evolution.

thank god she was pretty
    It's called a theory because it's open for anyone to disprove scientifically.

Re Half an eyeball , eyes have evolved up to 20 times in different groups of organisms, many of which have compound eyes , half a compund eye is very useful. How come they don't mention penguins/cormorants when going on about limbs not being useful halfway between a wing and a flipper ?
    And what about the vestitial hind limbs on anacondas and whales and the forelimbs on T-Rex ??

Pfft, they're obviously a test of our faith, and you're going to Hell for saying otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dearest Sam,

Check my counter argument

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

fundamentalists make baby jesus cry :D

but seriously... the fact the people like that exist makes me very very depressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

It's called a theory because it's open for anyone to disprove scientifically.

And that is the difference between Science and religion. Science is open to be disproven, religion isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Beneficial Mutation....look in the mirror, all evolution is mutation. Sickle Cell trait...increased resistance to malaria. Loss if wisdom teeth in population due to less roufage in the diet. Blue eyes to darker northern conditions, The disulfuram reaction in Asian people. Try google beneficial mutation is all around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

That growth on Samuljones's face that means he can't go outside and sits indoors looking up these websites could be considered a beneficial mutation.

It hides him from the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Brains which allow us to grasp the concept of evolution are the result of many successive beneficial mutations. Of course, regressions are also possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

Sarky wrote:
    Also, where would beer be without evolving yeast? It's a terrifying question to answer...

When making beer, yeast doesnt evolve, it ferments! If yeast evolved every time we made beer, the yeast would be walking monsters by now! And then if those monsters ferment, they'd be huge walking beer monsters - agh!

(Sorry, got a bit carried away there!)

Lisapeep wrote:
    When making beer, yeast doesnt evolve, it ferments! If yeast evolved every time we made beer, the yeast would be walking monsters by now! And then if those monsters ferment, they'd be huge walking beer monsters - agh!

(Sorry, got a bit carried away there!)

My point was that yeast had to evolve from something else that wouldn't make beer.

But rampaging beer monsters would be great, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Dearest Sam,

Check my counter argument

Thank you.

lol
    Should make a gathering card from that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There'll be a documnetary on the BBC soon about it. Keep you eyes peeled, I did a tech review of it the other day, it's rather interesting.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I can think of quite a few beneficial mutations. The X-Men! Mwhahahahaha!

Or the Turtles! :cool:

• Advertisement

No, the Turtles were terrible. Utterly terrible. Never trust a fictional character that results in the marketing of green cheese and apple pizzas.

Aww but they fought some evil between eating the pizzas!!

You obviously never got the apple pizza for dinner.

Spiderman then?

Advertisement