Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Choppers in Dublin skies.. do they annoy anyone else?

• 06-11-2004 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

I guess I've been itching to write about this for a while.
    It's something that kind of grates on me and maybe I am
    being unfair.

I live in North Kildare area and when I've sometimes driven
    back here from the Galway/N6 route via Enfield, Kilcock on
    certain weekends (typically Sundays) I've seen a pair of
    (I assume) Garda choppers patrolling the skies on the horizon.
    It gives me the creeps. It reminds me of the claustrophobic
    and crime plagued city that Dublin and its environs has become.
    It feels like entering Los Angeles central with ganglands,etc.
    Maybe I am being unfair in this analysis because this is just
    the natural progression for any big city. Anyway....

Does anyone else feel the same ? Perhaps if the choppers
    weren't there life would be less safe for most of us.
    Who knows. And by the way.. where are these choppers
    typically patrolling. Is it perspective in the sky or does it
    seem to me they are just swarming around Lucan/Celbridge
    90% of the time.I've no idea. Anyone?

by the way I am a born/bred Dubliner so I am not venting
    against Dublin per se. I am not sure what my thread is
    aimed at. Maybe just an opening discussion on Dublin
    as a dirty big crime infested city....

--ifc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I haven't noticed any noticeable amount of helicopters... I notice the garda planes flying real low in the evenings sometimes, but it's never really bothered me per se. I'm in a blackrockish region btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

If you live in North Kildare and keep seeing helicopters, more than likely you're seeing rich bastards flying to or from the K Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I notice the garda planes flying real low in the evenings sometimes

?????

And
    Blackrockish
    region ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sakic

We get helicopters flying overhead nearly every day, every 20 minutes, its an annoyance but hey, what can ya do? At least we're not living beside the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

ifconfig wrote:

I live in North Kildare area and when I've sometimes driven
    back here from the Galway/N6 route via Enfield, Kilcock on
    certain weekends (typically Sundays) I've seen a pair of
    (I assume) Garda choppers patrolling the skies on the horizon.

A possible explanation is that Enfield-Kilcock-Maynooth is like the M50 of the air in ireland, as its the the most used route into Weston airfield just north of Baldonnel. Could the choppers you're referring to be inbound to Weston?

What time do you notice this activity at?

And where geographically?

Bear in mind that its is extremely rare for both helicopters from GASU to operate together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

The garda helicopters are based very near u, in baldonnell. As far as i know, they don't run both at the same time. THis is because one will need servicing at any time, thats why they got a second one.

I know someone who works in those helicopters, he says every time they fly over D4 people start ringing up to complain.

I'm pretty sure they were using our house as a waypoint too, as when they first got a helicopter they were over here every night. Sometimes they'll fly right over the house, hover for a few mins, then fly off 3 miles, then come back to the exact spot... :mad: seriously i'm not paranoid, the guy who i know who works with the helicopters is one of the highest ranking people there. And a serious practical joker.

I can definately say they're seriously lould things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

they fly and hover over my area d.22 hence the name every hour every day i would like 2 think they are training as baldonnel is just up the road but as u said u are a born and bred dub so we both know thats not the reason i wish it was though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

I have a big chopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

goose2005 wrote:
    rich bastards flying to or from the K Club.

Why do you call them Bastards? You a Commie?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 smarties

a guy a few doors down from me is a property developer and uses his helicopter to spot potential sites from an arial perspective, i think its a great idea, hes constantly in it but doesnt really annoy me cus he flies fairly high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

we have had the same problem in Donaghmede, Dublin 13 (North East City). The helicopters have not been around in months but when they were it was a terrible racket! There have been many times i've been woken up by them. I reckon they are just practising and training. Waste of tax payers money. And by the way i've never heard or seen stolen cars or heard of any other crime taken place on the radio or in the newspapers so i reckon they are just putting the helicopter in hover / park mode at 300ft and having a cuppa from a thermos flask.

bibibobo wrote:
    I reckon they are just practising and training. Waste of tax payers money. And by the way i've never heard or seen stolen cars or heard of any other crime taken place on the radio or in the newspapers so i reckon they are just putting the helicopter in hover / park mode at 300ft and having a cuppa from a thermos flask.

You reckon wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I live in Leixlip. Twin engine planes (think large WW2 planes) and single engine planes fly over head alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I can't say I've noticed alot of choppers, to be honest. Only every so often. This one time, I was "doing my business" in the toilet, when I hear a chopper really loudly. Then some lights blaze through the window and in the garden. So I look out the window and there's a Garda walking along my back garden wall, and a chopper right above the garden! Pretty cool stuff, lol. I shoulda asked them who they were looking for. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bibibobo

You reckon wrong.

lighten up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Weston and Baldonnell are the explanation for the amount of air traffic over north Kildare, as people have said.

bibibobo wrote:
    lighten up

Stop taking sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wow, you're a fun guy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I followed a garda helichopter a few weeks ago. It was either chasing joyriders or people on foot, and at one stage we were outside a row of houses and the spotlight was searching in the back gardens of them. There were a few garda cars too and all of a sudden one screeched into a U-turn and flew back up the road, sirens wailing. 'Twas cool, like a real life Cops :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

You should try living in Tallaght...(not) I live in Deselby which is right against Jobstown> Lately its been quite. But normally, friday & saturday mornings (early...4am) we have 1 or even 2 choppers hovering overhead. For up to an hour sometimes.

The boyos like to race through deselby. Nice roads, challenging curves..roundabouts etc. Schumacher wouldnt have a patch on these guys. Christ if they were not plastered and jacked to the hills on the abc's of drugs, they might actually have a chance of loosing the cops. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement