Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What books have you read more than once ?

Options
  • 16-05-2000 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

All this "favourite book" stuff is fine but a truer indication of what's a classic would be how often you've read it.
    So which ones and how often ?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I've read most of the discworld books 3 or 4 times, David Eddings Belgariad, Melorian, Tamuli and Elimum about 4 times

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

all of doug coupland's books have been read by me at least three times. jurassic park about 5 times. the 5 hitchhiker books twice each.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

A better question for me would be ,

what books do I have on my bookshelf. If I don't like a book, I sell it to buy help buy another. I have read every book on my bookshelf at least twice. (Last re-read was the Necroscope series, al of them except the lost years, including Vamp. World and E-branch. That's was my fifth time going through them and I still enjoy them.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've read the Hitch-hikers guide books 3 or 4 times, just for the laugh of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Rise & Fall of the Third Reich twice, Stinger by Robert R McCammon about six times, Swan Song also by McCammon four times or so.

Will definitely have to read Dan Simmon's Hyperion/Endymion series again v soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I cannot say that I understand this whole reading books twice lark, although strangly enough I've just finished "The Beach" and was considering reading it again.It must be all the sunshine and tropical-ness :-)

I've read plenty of books, but once is usually enough I think.For every book you reread you could just have easily read another book of similar quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

For me, reading a book a second time I usually see things with foreknowledge that I did not see the first time. You notice how the author positions things in the stor and uses foreshadowing.... like the guy who turns out to be the suprise baddie actually has a not-hugely-flattering introduction, or a quirk is described.

Why see a film more than once?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

If i was ever to read any books over again, it would either be anything by James Ellroy, or, like Castor, The Hyperion Cantos. I have to finish reading the last two before i do that though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Thinking about it, I think The Hobbit is the only book I've read twice.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Loloth- Necroscope\Vampire World series 5 times, holy $hit you must work night security r summit, only read them twice myself.

BTW the next in the E-Branch series "Defilers" is out now.

[This message has been edited by shank (edited 18-05-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Peig

I didn't think to include dumb ass Irish books that you're force-fed at school smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I hate the Fuc*ing book so much im gonna write a sequel to it one day:

Peig II- Forcefeeding Toothless Crones From Kerry Into A Blender

I can sell the movie rights too, get Chuck Norris to play Peig !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

just about all of bill brysons books.
    there all classics

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The Selfish Gene
    The Lord of the Rings
    The Hobbit
    The Player Of Games
    Thomas Covenant series

I cant think of the rest...

Tom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

2 short story collections
    - Daughter of Regals by Donaldson
    - Welecome to the Monkeyhouse by Vonnegut.
    At this stage they are held together by tape smile.gif.

Also any of the seafaring tales by Patrick O'Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I've read Microsurfs by Douglas Coupland a few times a classic book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Hobbit, LOTR, Covenant as well, but also the big long Memory, Sorrow, Thorn series by Tad Williams, and The Talisman by stephen king/peter straub. And the Peter Murphy quiz books smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

Ticktock
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Fight Club
    and...................
    The Beach

dot
    also
    Mapfinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

"Lords and Ladies", by terry pratchett,

I am curently sitting in work now reading it - no Joke - for the 11th time. some may call me a sad twat, but those of you that do have obviously not read this book. those that have read it are understanding of my plight to keep reading what may be one of the finest books ever written (that i have read - for i must not be ignorant of the unknown).

for those of u who have not read this book, terry pratchett fan notwithstanding should imediatly go to the book store and find this book, then proceed to store up on provisions next to your bed-side locker or desk beside you for once you start.........

i dont know how i can get across the feeling that one gets when reading this book. but i shall try to explain. we all (i hope) know that one true moment when a book is really tested. does the book make you misty eyed with anticipation of what is coming next, and does it give you shivers down your spine when it really begins to get good. and if it is a great book, does it make you shout out to no one in particular "yes, bloody brilliant, oh yes" even though there is no one there.

lords and ladies was like that for me. the feeling i got when i read it was like nothing else i have ever felt when reading any other books. the lotr came evry close due to its sheer constant story line, the idea of a truly never ending story that you can really get into.

but there has never been and im not sure if there ever will be an equal to "Lords and Ladies"

Wyverne

[This message has been edited by Wyverne (edited 21-05-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

lol - that was the one with the elves, right?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re:Wyverne's Post.
    Lords and Ladies would indeed be ranked high on anyones list, it does have Granny Weatherwax in it, but for 'Guards, Guards' and 'Interesting Times' far surpassing it. The sumo feeding incident. The Vimes with a pump-action dragon scene.
    Yours
    An even sadder twat.

Yeah - of all the Discworld books, I prefer the ones that feature Vimes and the watch - I've just finished the Fifth Elephant. Great read.

Indeed it must be said that Terry Prachett is one of the best writers around - every single one of his boks that I've read, I've enjoyed.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Well you may be pleased to know that I took Lolth's advice(I think) and reread "The Beach", about 3/4's ot the way through it again.I must admit that it is still a really good read second time around, it is strange that even when you know what is going to happen you can still get excited and tense with the anticipation of it all.It's as if your mind can exist on two levels, one that knows the plot and the other that dosen't......

Oh look at the red elephant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Iain M. Bankes.

I am now reading his books for the 4th or 5th time round.

He's pretty good as Iain Bankes too but sf is more my genre.

Alo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

I've read Lords and Ladies, Interesting Times, and Guards!Guards!. I agree that they are all fantastic books, every bit as good as the lads have said. I can't pick a favourite, but I absolutely LOVED Jingo. I mean it was brilliant! And I thought Small Gods was unbelievable. Pratchett hasn't written a bad book, he hasn't written a mediocre book, or a good book. He's written great books! (that I've seen anyway).

Some of the stuff can keep you laughing for days - "He had a point, in fact, he had a whole sword", and more of it can make you think, really - like the going-through Time backwards (Troll theory - because you can see the past and not the future, you must be facing the wrong way..)

Marvellous!

Xavius. The whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I hear ya Wyverne smile.gif
    And Xavius, he has written some sh1t (namely Dark Side Of The Sun), but I think it's a case of a grain of grit in a pure stream tongue.gif

I have read Good Omens by the great man TP no less than 21 times ladies and gentlemen, I kid you not! A friend of mine recommended it to me in 1993 (after I had got into the Discworld series) or whenever it was that I bought it, and he said that I would read that book more times than any other and that I should make a mark on the cover every time I read the last page to prove it. I now have 21 biro marks on the cover of my battered copy and that I am proud of! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mark_The_Whale

The Dark Side of the Sun was a childrens' book? I haven't read it. But ****e is ****e. And can't be forgiven. Who wants to lynch Pratchett?

Mark the Whale. AKA Xavius the Whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Sandman.The source of all stories. Ive the books about a dozen times and i still find new stuff in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

Also Lord of the Rings has been open a few times.

Little Figment http://members.tripod.co.uk/bluefigment

Advertisement