Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Granny Weatherwax should die.

Options
  • 18-06-2000 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Anyone else agree?

I mean she's done enough, Lords and Ladies, Witches Abroad, Carpe Jugulum - what is Pratchett playing at? I think she should be killed by, I dunno, a fire would do. Or maybe get lost Borrowing..

Xavius. The whale.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Zapper

Hmmm.....no..i dont think she should die...but if she got lost borrowing that would be a nice way for her to depart the series....borrowing bee's would be the best 1. smile.gif

well..in my opinion anyways smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

she did die in one of them though, ya? but came back from the dead or something....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Adversary

A lot of kids read those books - you can't have a main character dying! Tho she might get lost borrowing one day.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I would say more adults than kids read them. They are also aimed at adults. So a character dying isn't to much of a streach of the imagination.

Rumour has it that a major character is going to die in the next book.

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Xavius

Good, let's hope it's her. I will anyhow.

Xavius. The whale.

• Advertisement

It has to be Rincewind - he's been around ages and he's pretty much run out of ideas with him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've not read all the "Granny Weatherwax" books in the series, but I'd ratehr her than Rincewind or Vimes getting the chop!
    Vimes is the man!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

No not Rincewind! He can't kill Rincewind. Maybe he can not write so much about him, but he can't kill him. That'd be upsetting.

Yes, Vimes is the man, but Vetenari plays chess. And he can juggle melons. Could be him that'll die though. Remember Gaskin?

But I still maintain that Granny Weatherwax has cheated Death long enough. cool.gif

Xavius. The whale.

DEATH has (as far as I remember) turned up for Granny. Rincewind on the other hand has had DEATH turn up numerous times only to escape by the skin of his teeth.
    Pratchett has said that he htes Rincewind because he can only ever remain 2 dimensional. He is definitly more desrving of a send off than Granny. Anyway, the next book is set in Anka-Morpok, and chances are that Granny won't be there to die.

Draco

CMOT Dibbler chokes on one of his sausage_inna_bun? There isn't that many "major" characters in Ankh. It has to be Vetrani, Vimes, Carrot or Rincewind. It won't be Vetrani cos he's too evil. It won't be Vimes cos he likes writing about how Vimes hates being rich too much. It won't be Carrot cos he likes the irony of the king being a lowly watchman.

So bye, bye Rincewind. Unless he falls on hard times and has to sell a few books quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

You never know it could be DEATH tongue.gif

Now that could be interesting

Well, as long as nothing happens to the Librarian. Maybe the Tower of Art will collapse, horribly killing Ponder Stibbons - stupid guy, thinks he's ME. Death wouldn't die (though he almost did, once (Reaper Man)). Nah, he's too much fun.

Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that, although the Disc doesn't actually have a moon (Well, Pratchett only mentions the sun in his "special effect" sequences, zooming in on the Disc, that I've read...), one is alluded to in several books (moonlit chases that Varneshi talks about in Gaurds!Guards!), and the reflection of said non-existent planetoid is seen in Lewton's blood in the intro to Discworld Noir. Weird, no?

Xavius. The whale.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

No - I'd hate to see Ponder and the crew go - who'd operate HEX???

If the next book is in Ahnk-Morpok, then it could be Rincewinds time!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

Originally posted by Xavius:
    Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that, although the Disc doesn't actually have a moon

It does. It is mentioned at some stage - I couldn't quote specific instances, but it is there.

Draco

afaik it's mention on the first page of one of the early books. The elephants have to lift their legs to let it pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

+++ out of cheese error +++

i dont like granny weatherwax much.
    pratchett has already written books about killing DEATH....reaper man being one of them with the auditors etc
    rincewind just isnt funny anymore
    vimes has turned from copper to inspector morse crossed with socreates
    bring back twoflower i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

Granny Weatherwax shouldn't die...I hate to be the typical girl here but she's really the only strong female character in the series. Sure, there are other females in the books (Angua, Nanny Ogg, Magrat), but she is really the only "imoportant" one. In my opinion anyway.
    Unless Mr P brings in some other strong female lead, then maybe it wouldn't be too bad. I'd rather she got lost borrowing myself. That would be better.

As for who else "should" die.. I dunno, I like all of the characters. Maybe if Veternari died Ankh Morpork would fall into disarray and stuff, which might be kinda cool. I don't think Rincewind should die either, I like him. As long as he is used sparingly.
    Hehe smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Mark_The_Whale

Whadabout Agnes? She packs a fair wallop and no mistake!

Mark the Whale. AKA Xavius the Whale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

what the fuffen hell is going on here!!!!!, granny weatherwax should never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never die!!!!!!!!!!!

she is imho the best charachter in the entire series... on a par with death, the death of rats and the librarian, but to be honest i like so many different characters for so many different reasons, and granny is my favourite of all those, not because quote<I hate to be the typical girl here but she's really the only strong female character in the series>quote its because she has so many different aspects to her charachter, shes strong willed and minded but also morally attaentive yet sadistic when it suits her, now thats admirable, smile.gif

i think rincewind has only really one trait, mess things up be extremely unlucky yet still come out on top (even over death) in the end.

as to which charachter should die i dont know, but i really hope that it wont be granny, also ppl read lords and ladies, read carpe jugulum and u will see granny in her essence kicking ass totally

"so u want to be queen" YES YES YES YES YES YES, every time granny is in a book im reading, you know that feeling where u get so into a book that u just are over the moon, and u want to scream at certain points (like when i read lords and ladies for the first time and thought granny was dead, then she was alive "no onzzs evvver donz it witzz beezzzzzs") yes fukken yeah woooooooohoooooooooo

no! granny will not die, under pain of death, she will not die

I would never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never type that many "nevers". Ever.

As you say she has been kicking **** . Totally. And therin lies my point. Remember the thing with the unicorn. She died in other universes then. Now it's time she did it in ours. Either that or stay inside and not do anything forever.

And she'd probably still suffer the articulated-lorry-through-the-front-window thing.

If she does anything else it will be of detriment to the series. Making the discworld realistic is what Terry P. does best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Kharn:
    No - I'd hate to see Ponder and the crew go - who'd operate HEX???

'Anthill inside' - ROFL!! smile.gif

I hate to say it, but I've heard nasty rumours about Rincewind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Eh, if Rincewind dies it'll have to be in such a way that the entire diskworld isn't destroyed in the process. Or did he get rid of the spell in one of the books I didn't read?

The spell left either at the end of the Light Fantastic or Sourcery.

Draco

Must have been the Light Fantastic.

I've read Sourcery ALOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If you're talking about sheer bloody-minded malevolence you've got to love the luggage. It can pound any desert creature you can imagine flatter than a pancake and it's even worshiped in some parts smile.gif

Yeh, 'twas great when he (it?) extintified (yes? You got summing to day about that word?) the Chimera..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

!!!

Granny Weatherwax is a reasonable character, but i dont think that pratchett intends to see any of his characters off in the forseeable future.

But i have to say, the witches books arent half as good as the other ones (Watch ones are the best).

Vimes is a damn good character, i cant see rincewind dying soon either. I think its about time he brought a few other characters back actually - what happened to Victor Tugelbend? (Moving Pictures) Or Teppic? (Pyramids)

These people are still relatively fresh.

Death is funny.

A

Originally posted by Asuka:
    i dont think that pratchett intends to see any of his characters off in the forseeable future.
    Yes he does. I can't remember if it the next book or the one after, but a major character is going to die.

Vimes is a damn good character,
    Yup. Just reread Men at Arms for the umpteenth time.

i cant see rincewind dying soon either.
    I think the current one that is been written has him in it.

I think its about time he brought a few other characters back actually - what happened to Victor Tugelbend? (Moving Pictures) Or Teppic? (Pyramids)
    It would be nice to have them back, but unlike characters like Vimes, Granny, DEATH they were more of a once off character. I don't really see them coming back.

Draco.

Yeah, they were like Brutha. Brutha was cool...

I dunno.. I reckon the witch books are fairly well on a par with the watch books. Especially Carpe Jugulum..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Wyverne

carpe jugulum and lords and ladies are his best books hehe

Advertisement