Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The Codebreakers", "Enigma"

Options
  • 02-06-2000 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I put this on the security board but thought I'd mention it here too.

I just bought: "The Codebreakers" by David Kahn, and "Enigma" by Robert Harris.

Looking forward to the read as I'm interest in encryption, etc. I'll post comments when done (be a while - they're *heavy* books - not big though).

I got these in the 2nd hand bookshop in Blackrock market, £3 for Enigma, £2 for codebreakers. Most of the stuff in there was even cheaper.

If anyone likes Len Deighton, you could pick up about 15 of his in there, most are £1.

Take it handy,
    Al.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

If yr into crypto stuff check out Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon it's excellent.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Don't forget about "The Code Book" another damn fine read about crypto.

Draco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Yeah Shank, I'm halfway thru it at the mo and it's truly excellent. The boy can write.
    A must read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Just started reading "Between Silk and Cyanide - A codemakers war" by Leo Marks, about the SOE in WWII. Will give ye a quick review if any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Excellent. i have recently purchased both Enigma and Crypitonomicon. They will be read next after im finshed reading one of James Ellroys classics, Clandestine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

another good book is
    the zimmerman telegram by barbra turchman
    its about how the us joined ww1, all about telegrams and code breaking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Well, I finished Enigma...

I don't want to start off by saying that I was disappointed, but I was a little. I think maybe I had the wrong idea when I started reading, I expected it to be a bit more technical than it was. That said, it's a damn fine story and quite interesting, sets a great atmosphere for reading something more technical like "The Codebreakers".

To rate it, I'd give 5/10 for technical stuff (that high because of WWII info it naturally contains) and 7.5 - 8/10 for readability and the fictional content, plot etc.

Feel free to disagree, flames to troj@dev.null ...

Cheers,
    Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Just started reading it....

Say hello to my little friend !!!

Advertisement