Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP IOL Broadband

Options
  • 07-11-2004 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi folks,
    I've had the iol broad band up and runing for a while now - no problems.
    Until recently when I tried to update my web page via FTP. I can not connect to FTP at all and the IOL help people were actually useless. (The guy on the phone didnt know what FTP was).

The tech support people just told me to play around with my settings but didnt offer me any info on what settings to try.

I have the Zyxel prestige 600 series ( 623r-t1) ADSL modem/router.
    I have it connected to my main pc via the usb connection as I use that pcs networkcard to connect asecond pc.

Does anyone here know what settings to change in the routers set up page (198.168.1.1)to enable the ftp.

Im ok with computers technically speaking but I'm flumuxed by all the different settings. SUA NAT PPPoE etc.

Alternativley does anyone know of an ftp program that can over come any of these errors?

cheers and thanx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

what FTP program are you currently using?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rog69man

I'm using coffee cup ftp
    and also wt-ftp32.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

try this:

192.168.1.1 (your modem)
    advanced settings
    nat
    sua only
    details
    first row 1. all ports all ports [enter the ip of your pc here] - will be in the range 192.168.1.*

it should definetly work then - if it doesn't you have a bigger problem.
    If it does you might not want to forward all ports to your pc (unless you're really confident in your firewall). Port 21 is the ftp port. So in one of the other rows you can set it to forward port 21 to your pc instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

What host are you trying to FTP to?
    Is it possible the FTP server is IP restricted and it's rejecting the connection because of that?
    I'm on IOLBB too, post up the host if you want and I'll see if I can FTP to it.

• Advertisement

the host is
    myhome.iol.ie
    if you are on iolbb
    then the host you use should be the same.
    i have also tried iol.ie ftp.iol.ie.

I do think the problem is with the router settings. I will try the suggestion from reactor in a while. Will let you know how it works out.

Slainte

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's not passive transfers is it? whenever i have ftp problems (apart from ip restriction) it's usually down to passive transfers being ticked.

I've tried ticking and unticking the passive mode.
    Looking on the zyxel site from what I can gather their router doesnt work in passive mode... Not sure though their site is so confusing.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    try this:

192.168.1.1 (your modem)
    advanced settings
    nat
    sua only
    details
    first row 1. all ports all ports [enter the ip of your pc here] - will be in the range 192.168.1.*

it should definetly work then - if it doesn't you have a bigger problem.
    If it does you might not want to forward all ports to your pc (unless you're really confident in your firewall). Port 21 is the ftp port. So in one of the other rows you can set it to forward port 21 to your pc instead.

I tried this and unfortunatly had no luck. It seems strange that everything else works fine regarding the internet.

rog69man wrote:
    I do think the problem is with the router settings. I will try the suggestion from reactor in a while. Will let you know how it works out.
    I can FTP to that fine, you shouldn't need to change the router's settings to FTP out.
    Do you have a firewall running? Try disabling that if you do and try again.

• Advertisement

Yeah I have a firewall and I have tried with it turned off. I also set up a rule that allows the ftp programs to run.

Frank you have iolbb. Do you have the same router as me?
    If you do could you have a look at your settings in 192.168.1.1 particularily the NAT settings.

Cheers ROG

I've the Zyxel Prestige 623R-T1, I've no settings for FTP at all.
    The only reason you'd need to put in settings related to FTP into the router is if you want to run a FTP server on your network.
    Can you FTP to anything at all? e.g ftp.heanet.ie
    Have you tried just FTPing via a DOS prompt?

Still no luck connecting. I've even contacted Zyxel, they were no help.
    I'm stumpped.
    I was able to update my web site from my sisters house. So no problems with my account.
    I wonder is the problem to do with the connection through usb?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

rog69man wrote:
    Still no luck connecting. I've even contacted Zyxel, they were no help.
    I'm stumpped.
    I was able to update my web site from my sisters house. So no problems with my account.
    I wonder is the problem to do with the connection through usb?

Ok...when you FTP it goes out on port 21..this should not be blocked by your Firewall/router but maybe there is something there blocking it..try this and tell me what happens, open up a command prompt..type 'ftp ftp.heanet.ie' and hit enter..what happens..if port 21 is open you should get a response saying welcom to FTP Heanet etc with a bit of info. If you are unable to FTP then port 21 is being blocked by something. If you are able to do this then try and FTP from the command prompt to 'ftp.iol.ie' what happens then?

Advertisement