Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Paomnnehal Pweor Of The Hmuan Mnid

• 07-11-2004 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer

In waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef,

But the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Good alright, but posted before and I wouldnt really call it humour !

Good all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Old and not fnnuy. Relaly blnoegs in atefr huros, ecpext it aelardy is...seevral tiems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, that's not *entirely* true. There are a few exceptions - "Paomnnehal" being one. I can't read that at all.

You need to make sure the beginning and end *sound* are intact. In the case of phenomenal, the "ph" is effectively one letter, so must remain intact.

As it says, you read the word as a whole, which present another exception to the case. Long words, very long words. Your mind actually reads the word as a group of syllables or blocks of letters. So you don't read the whole word in one go, your brain reads the blocks of letters separately, and the group of blocks as a word. So you can rearrange the letters in individual blocks to prove this point, but the start and end letter of each block must also stay in the right position.
    Take the word "fundamentalism" as an example.
    Here's a random arrangement of letters:
    fnulsimetnaadm

My brain doesn't recognise that word no matter how many times I read it quickly, or add it to the paragraph. Now here's the same word with the key blocks still intact:
    fnudnematlsim

Now it works. :)

This post isn't humourous, but I thought I'd point that out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

seamus wrote:

This post isn't humourous, but I thought I'd point that out :)

seamus knows things.

I'd also like to point this out:
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer

Whats the bold bit supposed to mean? Is it "a researcher"? Cos if it is you're missing an e and an r and you have a c and h too many.

Advertisement