Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Router is P*ssing me off now!!!

Options
  • 07-11-2004 2:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

ok as i didnt have enough on my hands without this PoS playing clever bastards

There i was happily browing on my main rig, for all of a sudden the pages to stop loading...interesting the router may have dropped (bloody annoying but i was getting use to this little problem a quick restart and it was good to go again)

anyways...tried to access my router through my main comp - access denied WTF..i cant get online and i cant access my router console..now what!

so i got pissed off and restarted it ..anyway my laptop had died - obviously that wireless will use any excuse it can to not work...so i was relying on my server here..other rig is like all the way downstairs :o

well i actually got on the admin on my server!

to find nothing left, no username or pass word or correct dial up..arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

got it set up again and now only my server will connect to the net, according to lan clients in the admin it has 3 ip's stored, including my main rig so fair enough, i open firefox in my main - google could not be found, opened something else - it appears you have no interent connection... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ran a ping test through the admin from this comp to my main all of 2 feet away - 100% packet loss..why the HELL has my router just dropped and not let most of my comps back on why is it doing this!!!!

ive nothing but ****ing grief off this god damn router and as you can see its really pissing me off now! all i want is it for it to sit there and do what its suppose to do not wipe all my info!!!!!!

ARGH! i shouldnt get angry over a stupid plastic box but its pushed its luck too far now i NEED the net tomorrow (stupid uni work) and i cant live on this server its not practical it doesnt even have a mouse or monitor usually its only set up on the floor so i can ask for advice , does anyone know wot the hell its doing here!

its a D-Link G604T

if anyones got 1 maybe they can guide me through the options to set it up AGAIN and see if its any different to what ive done
    if anyones not got it and is looking for a router dont get this pos!!!!

-edit- sry for long post the rant carried me away..if you can help dont be put off by its length..if anything you get to laugh at network fool :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

I also have DLink DSL-G604T and have had no problems it at all.

To get it back to factory settings you'll need to
    1. remove power
    2. Insert pen into the reset hole at back and keep pressed in
    3. Add power keeping the reset pin held in
    4. Wait until the status light starts flashing and release.

Once done I found it very easy - would suggest you upgrade the firmware at some point - you'll need to do it with a wired connection, and it's in 2 stages. Read the accompanying PDF.

Anyway - once up and running I simply setup my wireless first, leaving the SSID visible, setup WPA, etc.. I used the system commands to save everything, and then restart the box. Verified the wireless connection then removed the wired connection.

Once the Wireless was working I then setup the DSL (no need to restart anything once the APN is working ok) and made it connect. Again I saved all settings (just in case...) but no restart.

Has been up and running for the last 6 weeks without a glitch despite all attempts by ESB power cuts (4 in 6 weeks) and the other half (plugging in the hoover and plugging out the router) to cause problems.

-RikD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

hmm well its all working now...but the funny thing is i didnt do anything, i just left it over night while i calmed down...started em back up and found they was all working :eek:

it drops occasionally but i can live with that, can your wireless (laptop at a guess?) access the files from the rest of the comp? i seem to be having major issues with permissions and stuff some cant access each other..the laptop just cant access any, it sees them in network comps but says they are all not accessible :(

XPs fie sharing is bit of a mess. Luckily I use Linux for most of my sharing which works perfectly everytime.

As for XP:
    If you don't enable the Simple File Sharing you need to make sure the person accessing the computer has an account and is enabled to access the files from both a local permissions level and the share level.

I've yet to enable the Simple File Sharing (some options somewhere) so instead set up a dummy user which created a dump directory and then shared it out for itself. Then on the connecting PC I always get it to log onto the remove comp as that dummy user (use Map Network Drive, rather than browsing). Seems to work everytime..

Also - make sure you have NetBIOS enabled for your connecting PCs on your comps local firewall (if installed).

-RikD

interesting...gonna have to try that !

but now..this is a serious call for help!!!!..ive posted this about 10 times in the last month, ive had a few suggestions and tips but nothing is working

Has anyone got one of these routers with port forwarding set up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im going spare, i dont know how this dmz works properly but all i know is, its the only way i can connect to bit torrent...so i do it, i can be downloading at..even 4kb/s and not 1! internet page will load, nothing, msn wont sign in not even the likes of google loads, bit torrent seems to steal it all even when im using like...5% of my total, i have to close bit torrent just to browse or i get a time out EVERYTIME ...with IE (shudder) i just get page cannot be found...

why cant i do port forwarding :confused: ..i set it up..as i believe it should be and nothing happens! even when i save and restart about 20 times

this is for all my comps actually on the network..its getting beyond a joke i like to browse, but im always downloading, and since ive had this router..its just not happening :(

/me begs

Which bittorrent client are you using?

I've used both Azureus and Shareza with no problems. Currently downloading with Azureus @ 12.7kB/s which is not too bad as I've only a 512kpbs link (60kB/s).

I've opened ports 6881 and 6969 on my local firewall and didn't have to do anything on the router. And yes I have use Firewall and NAT selected on the router.

For the record Product Info for me gives

Software Versions
    Gateway V1.00B02T02.UK.20040618
    ATM Driver 4.01.00.00
    DSL HAL 1.01.00.00
    DSL Datapumps 1.01.00.00 Annex A
    SAR HAL 01.06.06 s
    PDSP Firmware 0.49
    Wireless Firmware 0.3.16.13
    Wireless APDK 5.5.20
    Wireless Driver 1.1.2
    Boot Loader 0.22.02

Maybe there's something in there as the only things so far I've had to port forward for are Clearcase, VPN and some games

- RikD

• Advertisement

quite stressful , thanks to DMZ this comp is about to have a clean install of windows...sigh

every so often, nothing will open and im getting viruse warnings all the time

i use ABC client....i think it was just popular files slowing me down i left em on overnight and i was getting 140kb/s again...this router is screwed though, i cant connect to the admin at the moment, hardly any pages are loading this is all my comps too...

its just generally pissing me off, im on the verge of getting a diff router even though i cant afford it :mad:

gonna try install sp2 next time..im so desperate this cant go on..its worse than dial up at the moment

tbh id be a little stressed at 12kb/s on a 60kb/s line :confused: ...but as long as its green i guess theres nothing else u can do

bk in an hour i guess..see what state its in then... :(

Should have clarified the 12kB/s was a single download. Other stuff was also downloading, + browsing etc... It's the un-popular stuff, i.e. less sources, that causes the slow speeds if the guys uploading don't have particular fat pipes.

DMZ is good if you want to make a server available from outside the firewall. If you do put a machine out there make sure it's very well firewalled, etc.

Try upgrading the firmware if you haven't already done so. And finally if still having problems then try and get in touch with DLink.
    -RikD

fair enough about the 12kb/s :)

from what ive heard about d-links tech support...well i just hope i dont have to get that far

i updated the firmware once before not sure if there are any other updates since then, possibly this was a month or 2 ago

annnyways

windows is back in the new 1, just put sygate in...give it another whirl, sp2..so thats 2 firewalls...d'oh..then i installed trend mirco..which has another firewall!

so 3 firewalls on my main comp..i doubt im gonna get very far with that, im gonna have to disable 2 later but ive just got trend micro doing a full system scan at the moment...being going for 20min..not even half way done yet :(

it could be the firewalls but its not looking good, i cant get on to the internet with it yet, even though ive set up network wizard, im gonna have to play around with it when this virus scan is done, im on my server at the moment, browsing appears to be a good speed but it just does not connect to the admin

read 192.168.1.1

then it times out :rolleyes:

this is sweet i cant get onto to the internet till i play with my router admin..and it appears i cant play with the router admin till i have an internet connection (which i know is crap or i wouldnt have been able to set it up in the first place :( )

ill get there...i hope gonna go play round some more though

as for DMZ...its the only thing i can do! i dont know how you can connect to bit torrent without adjusting your routers firewall, everything except browsing screws up with the routers firewall on and no DMZ..what firewall do you use?

i thought things was getting there

port forwarding on my router - 6881 - 6999 opened for ABC client

...yellow downloads turned to green..YES!

port forwarding on router - 6436 or something for limewire

..turbo charged connection and decent downloads YES!

things where looking up..until about 1hr ago, it decided to drop..kick me offline come back ..sort of..would download at about 0.4kb/s for a while then everything would cut off..and its been doing that ever since ...i refresh this ill get..time out..refresh again it will work :confused:

just tried my laptop..that WAS going pretty fast earlier, now thats as slow, its like they are hanging on trying to stay connected.......theres nothing i can type at the moment that sums up what i think of this router, nothing that wont get me banned anyway

i havent even ATTEMPTED! to see if they wanna copy files over, im just determined to set everything up without using dmz so i stay prettyyy virus free, just appears everythings against..its a router ffs not rockey science why dont you just work like everybody elses!!!!

Advertisement