Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wakey, wakey, Books board!

Options
  • 12-07-2000 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone reading anything good lately?

I'm reading Colour of Magic again! smile.gif

Al.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Reading "First and Only" a Warhammer 40K novel about a regiment of Imperial Guard that lost their homeworld and are after revenge - gotta deal with in-fighting in the army etc.
    Quite a good read if you're familar with the 40k universe.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I think we should address the most pressing concern of this period. What is a Harry Potter book. smile.gif Has anyone here read them?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I'm rereading the 5th Elephant. I really need to go out and get some new books...

Draco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

I'm reading "Running with the Demon" at the moment by Terry Brooks.

I loved the Shannara series, first fantasy novels I read.

This one is still getting going but so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

been a bit busy lately but did get time to reread the "Empire trilogy" by Feist and Wurts...

also slipped in "the wasp factory" by Iain Banks.

I liked that one smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Enigma by Robert Harris. Pretty good. Speaking of the king, Iain Banks, i saw the film version of Complicity last night. It was preeey good, stayed faithful to the book (well, almost, left out the last chapter), good performances and loads of Banks's cracking prose left in. Still looked like a TV movie though. Anyway, The TV version of The Crow Road is still the best (only other) Banks adaptation. Must read The Bridge next..

Say hello to my little friend !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Lolth, re: Wasp Factory, remind me what that ones about, don't know if I read it or not.

Banks rules!

Al.

[This message has been edited by Trojan (edited 13-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

am reading silence of the lambs.
    i can dig it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Trojan:

It his very first book. The one about the kid who kills little animals and has the brother coming home to visit.

Banks certainly has the most consistant level of good bookiness (it *is* a word! Disagree and I'll edit ya smile.gif ). Though sometimes the story tends to nod off a bit. Always picks up again though smile.gif

The Bridge is excellent. Weird. Very Weird. But excellent.

Excession is my favourite though (from his "m" stuff). They make a film of Battlefield Earth, why can't they make something decent like consider Phlebas?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i was on holiday and managed to read:

catch-22 (4 the first time!)
    girlfriend in a coma - douglas coupland
    american psycho (again)
    fight club (3rd time at least, in 6 months)
    the beach (again)

wink.gif
    now i am bookless, but just playing perfect dark 24/7

dot
    also
    Mapfinger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

bookiness (it *is* a word!

I disagree.

Microsoft don't think it's a word and they're *always* right! smile.gif

Go on, abuse your powers! Show us your muppetiness. smile.gif

My fav is The Player of Games - gotta love that, but they're all at a level of excellence.

I still haven't read the damn phonetic book - I found it too feersumly annoying! smile.gif

Al.
    smile.gif
    You doubt my potential for muppetiness?

[This message has been edited by LoLth (edited 17-07-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

mine is the 1st banks book. but i love complicity too. hey whitetrash are you enjoying girlfriend in a coma. that is one of my all time favourite books.

It is so lonely here in my indecipherable tower of speech impedimency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Read The Bridge. Bloody hell! Wierd, very wierd. But, like all things Banks, t'was very good. Favorite Banks: Crow Road. Favorire M Banks:The Player Of Games. Very true Trojan, you cant beat it.

Advertisement