Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband and VoIP

Options
  • 07-11-2004 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

So ComReg have announced a new number range 076 for voice over internet telephony to become available in the new year.

Since having internet access through a telephone line with Eircom costs 40euro for the broadband and an additional 25euro for the telephone line rental - that's a monthly cost of 65euro which in my opinion is a bit much for telephone and internet services.

So intstead I was thinking of getting wireless broadband which costs 40euro per month and a VoIP handset and telephone number whenever it becomes available. Like if you look at call charges with VoIP Ireland or Skype you'll see call charges are alot less than any of the conventional operators and I don't think there will be a charge for rental of having a 076 number (though it remains to be seen really).

What I want to know is does anyone see any shortcomings in my plan? Really I don't know much about the technical side of VoIP but from what I've read it seems like a really good way of reducing broadband and telephone costs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

There will be a range of VOIP services hitting the market very soon that will let you do exactly as you describe. In fact, you can have 01 numbers, or any other number available for that matter, not 100% sure what the point of 076 is myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

My office used VOIP at the moment and we have an 01 number. I'll be interested when this feature becomes available. Although I doubt the price would be significant cheaper.

Who do yuo use at the moment neokenzo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There will be a range of VOIP services hitting the market very soon that will let you do exactly as you describe. In fact, you can have 01 numbers, or any other number available for that matter, not 100% sure what the point of 076 is myself.

Are you sure one can do that without having a fixed line? (i.e. have an 01 number)

As far as I know VOIP Ireland offer incoming and outgoing calls at the moment but your incoming calls are over an eircom line.

The reason VOIP numbers have to be 076 is that they are non-geographic (AFAIK).

• Advertisement

Yes, you can terminate 01 numbers without a fixed line.

The termination is actually done at the voip gateway (which has lots of fixed lines) and then it routes to you over IP.

Effectively, Joe Bloggs calls 01 yournumber, and your IP phone rings. This works great with dsl, wireless.

You can also terminate non-geo numbers, including freephone, foreign codes, regional codes, etc. Thats the problem with voip, it breaks all the rules :)

Advertisement