Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Bill For Broadband Is €321!!!!

Options
  • 07-11-2004 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I ordered eircom broadband starter in september and I have just recieved the first bill. Just after I ordered, I also ordered the netopia wireless router from eircom, which was supposed to be only €50

There are 4 seperate items on my bill relating to broadband

(under equipment rental and other)
    Broadband Home Starter - €66.08

(under "other activity)
    Provide WiFi modem netopia 3347w - €123.14 (eircom said it was €50 when
    I was ordering)

Provide Broadband Home Starter - €81.81 (supposed to be €39 i thought
    but ok, maybe it's for 2 months but then what was the 66.08 for??)

Part Period Rental - 50.6 (don't even know what this is for?)

So something which eircom lead you to believe should cost 99 (39 for home starter, 50 for the wireless router) actually ends up costing €321!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Did you call Eircom for an explanation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

After all the warnings about EirCon . It is beyond my comprehension how or why anyone would choose to deal with them for anything :confused: .

For heaven's sake do not let them rip you off ?...get on to the media, if you do not get a satisfactory explanation from EirCon customer services, if they still have such a department.

My mind boggle's :eek:

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I can help you out here, it happened to me also.

Unlike your phone, your broadband is not an accrual - you pay for it in advance. If for example, you connected it the day after eircom printed your last bill, then on your next bill, you would be charged for:

- The previous 2 months (minus one day)
    - The next 2 months
    - The cost of your modem (if you did the wireless option)
    - The installation charge (yes, I know you did it yourself, but they still manage to find an installation charge)

Though this is an explanation of the charge, it is still unacceptable. I agree with paddy20 in saying you should go to the media

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Well one thing I didn't mention is that my company actually pay the bill so I didn't choose to go with eircom myself. Who know's, maybe - being aware of that - eircom decided they would be able to commit blind robbery and would not hear any complaints. Going to ring them tomorrow to find out what's going on. If it turns out to be what you say about paying in advance and the installation cost etc, then its a total disgrace. We'll see....

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Paddy20 wrote:
    After all the warnings about EirCon . It is beyond my comprehension how or why anyone would choose to deal with them for anything :confused: .
    P.

The mind boggles indeed. I know a guy who is reasonbly au fait with computers and internet access who got eircom broadband over UTV or Esat. Fair enough, he's a gamer, so he's not going to get UTV. But why eircom over Esat or another operator? "Because eircom are more reliable". Erm well yeah maybe, and I know UTV were complete rubbish back in Q1 of this year, but even knowing about the lower cap, the higher price, and the fact that it's eircom, he chose them because of the alledged reliability factor.

Surely the other operators' DSL products don't randomly go offline all the time? (I don't know, seeing as I'm one of those types who might get DSL when I move house or maybe country)

Off topic, I also tend to mention WLR to any of my friends/relatives and the possiblity of switching to Esat/UTV for rental & calls. But the amount of apathy is maddening. People seem to think that they're safer with eircom rather than these other unproven, unreliable companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Care to post up all the billing dates that are specified on the bill so we can actually confirm that you have been overcharged and not just bash eircom for the sake of it?

Advertisement