Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is ITV 3 free to view or is it only available when you get sky

• 07-11-2004 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

why i've got sky and it's on the EPG on 119 but it doesn't want to display a picture for me.

but atm i'm having LNB trouble during the bad weather we had two weeks ago i must get on to sky about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

ntl are just after adding it to their digital home package this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Cremo wrote:
    why i've got sky and it's on the EPG on 119 but it doesn't want to display a picture for me.

It's working fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The Muppet wrote:
    It's working fine for me.
    it must be my LNB then, mtv, nickjr., extreme sports all have a really bad quality picture (jerky slow sound jerky, picutre breaks into squares etc.)

i'm on my way to ring sky now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

jimbob wrote:
    Anyone?

It's not Free To View, which implies that you don't pay for it but it's encrypted and therefore only available with a UK FTV card (for example).

It's actually Free To Air, which means that it's not encrypted at all and so is available on a digibox with or without a card, and can also be picked up on any free-to-air satellite receiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Hi
    do you have the feq details on itv 3?
    My dad wants to try pick up on his frr to view card/box.
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

tylerdylan wrote:
    Hi
    do you have the feq details on itv 3?
    My dad wants to try pick up on his frr to view card/box.
    thanks

10906 V
    SR=22000
    FEC=5/6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I have no card at all and I'm getting it on 119. So it must be free.

Excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

thanks a mil for your fast reply! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Charles Slane explains it well.

Here again:

1) Freeview = DTT = Digital Terrestrial on an Aerial, no card, any DTT receiver

2) FTV or Free To View = Encrypted on Satellite, needs a Sky box and a card (hard to get even in UK) but no subscription.

3) FTA or Free To Air = ANY system (Analog, Digital, Terrestrial, Satellite) that does NOT require a viewing card or subscription.

My Palcom DSL4 is a "Free to Air" only Digital Satellite Receiver. It works better and gives a better picture than the Sky Box for all the 22+ BBC services, ITV3 and many other FTA TV and Radio.

The Skydigibox can have a FTV card (hard to find), in which case ONLY C4, ITV and "Five" are added. No other extra channels.

The Palcom DSL4 and associated Dish Rotator (under EUR 90 extra?) can be got from www.satellite.ie. It gets about 30 satellites, including channels FTA on other satellites that are "pay tv" on Sky (DW TV, TVEi, TV5, Bloomberg, CNBC, and German versions of Eurosport, MTV etc).

Terranova on Hotbird and Astra 19e is a good Nature channel FTA with many of the programs in English, esp. if you select French sound track ;-)

Any Satellite receiver that takes a Pay TV card also works Free To Air.

A Sky card ONLY works in a Sky box. Any other broadcaster's card will not work in a Sky box. This means BSkyB has an almost illegal "Pay TV" monopoly in the UK and Ireland. That is one reason the BBC does not use Sky Encryption anymore and why ITV delayed joining Satellite and would like to not renew encryption contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Round Cable

watty wrote:
    My Palcom DSL4 is a "Free to Air" only Digital Satellite Receiver. It works better and gives a better picture than the Sky Box for all the 22+ BBC services, ITV3 and many other FTA TV and Radio.

I was looking at one of these boxes, but how does it have a better picture than a Sky box?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Colm80

I have that box as well picture looks the same to me.
    I do like the way you can store the channels on the epg to suit your self.
    Its great you can Delete all the crap channels ,its a pitty sky wont include that feature for us.

Advertisement