Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing dll files

• 07-11-2004 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all. :rolleyes:

I will get straight to the point of my problem, I downloaded a free software its called analogx it removes
    Unwanted dll files that are no long of any use, so I thought?

Well…after scanning a whole heap of dll files came up, as I was looking at the files I was getting confused as to what was what? So with the frustration I must of deleted them all? And now the problem is that I cant access ad and removes or my system restore, I realized my mistake and tried the system restore, that’s when I found out that I couldn’t access it.

The reason for going to ad and remove was, I tried to reinstall my pc, and a small screen came up and said unable to more or less to continue as I have sp2 installed. So I went to try and delete sp2, but cant get at it. I just thought by reinstalling it might be back to normal, like I said I cant even do that.

So what ever I deleted belonged to these? Everything was perfect until then. So now I cant use system restore or ad and removes.

Have I done the worse or can it be fixed?
    Hope someone can advice me, ive gone all over the pc looking for ways to fix it but im unable to. Thanks to all in advance for any ideas.

From mickyjo :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭hulhi

try reapplying SP2,
    also right click on "My Computer"->Manage->event viewer-> can you see any errors in either sytem log or application logs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mickyjo

hi hulhi.

i tried installing sp2 again, but that didnt help. as for right clicking my computer, that dosent allow me niether. looks like ive made a hash of it now?

surley there must be a way of sorting the problem. if i can get rid of sp2 i can then reinstall my original instalation cd.

im thinking there is more probs with the pc now? its just i havent looked at everything, no need in upseting myself by doing so lol :)

thanks anyways hulhi ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭hulhi

are you getting any error messages when you try to open "Add Or Remove Programs"?
    Also when you try to access "System Restore"?
    could you try something

1. [start->run->eventvwr.msc->ok]
    2. [start->run->mmc.exe->ok->file->add/remove snap-in->add->select event viewer->add->select "local computer" finish->close->ok]
    then see if you can find any related errors

P.S. you don't have to uninstall Service Packs to reinstall, you can create service pack integrated windows installation.
    "from Microsoft" http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/spdeploy.mspx

To create an installation of Windows XP integrated with the service pack

Connect to the network or computer where you want to create the distribution folder, and then set up Drive: to correspond to the distribution folder.

In the shared folder on the network, create a distribution folder for the Windows XP installation files.

For example, to create a distribution folder named XPSP2_INT\PRO, type the following:

mkdir Drive:\XPSP2_INT\PRO

Ensure that only the system administrator has full access to this folder. Other users should have only Read and Execute permissions.

Insert your version of the Windows XP product CD that does not include the service pack into the CD-ROM drive, and then copy the contents of the CD to the distribution folder that you created in Step 2.

For example, to copy the installation files and folders from the Windows XP product CD in the CD-ROM drive (D:) to the distribution folder named XPSP2_INT\PRO, type the following:

xcopy D:\ Drive:\XPSP2_INT\PRO /E

Remove the product CD from the CD-ROM drive, and then insert the service pack CD.

If you want to store these files locally (described in “The Standalone Installation” earlier in this guide), you can extract the service pack source files from XPsp2.exe and put them in a folder on your hard disk.

If you do not want to store these files locally, skip this step. The installation will put the files in the default location. The default location is randomly chosen and determined by the installation.

For example, to extract the service pack files located in the CD-ROM drive (D:) to a folder named temp on the drive where the distribution folder is located, you would type the following:

D:\ XPsp2.exe /X: Drive:\temp

If you extracted the files, you can apply the service pack to the Windows XP installation files located in the folder named XPSP2_INT\PRO by typing the following:

Drive:\temp\i386\update\update.exe /Integrate:Drive:\XPSP2_INT\PRO

For a list of command-line options that you can use with this command line, see “Command-Line Options for XPsp2.exe and Update.exe” earlier in this guide.

The Setup Wizard for SP2 for Windows XP displays the progress of your installation and informs you when the installation is completed.

Customize Windows XP Setup as necessary (for example, to complete an unattended installation or add OEM files).

For information about how to do this, see the Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit Documentation at Windows Deployment and Resource Kits, and Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Reference Help (Ref.chm) included in Deploy.cab on your CD in the \Support\Tools folder.

You can now deploy Windows XP to multiple computers from the shared distribution folder in either attended or unattended Setup mode. During the standard installation process, Setup installs the operating system with the service pack already applied.

if you have any questions...boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

theres also the system file checker:
    place the windows xp disc in the drive,

start->run
    type "sfc /scannow"
    and windows will check for the correct versions of your os files.

Advertisement