Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new e-book

Options
  • 25-07-2000 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

stephen king has published the first part of a new e-book called "the plant". it on the honours system, ie u pay a buck a go per part, ur on your honour to pay and he wont keep publishing unless 75% of the d/l's pay.
    http://www.stephenking.com/plant_agreement.html

Yossarian Lives

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Cool,

I'm going to get 30 or so machines here to start doing multiple downloads.

With any luck I can shut him up for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

What a sh1t read, tis only 20 pages and involves nothing only letters sent to different characters. As for some sort of story line, he decides to start into that at page 20, ffs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

It says that "the plant" was published in 1982 in another part of that site...is it not supposed to be an new novel?....why is he getting ppl to pay if the book has already been released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

Ahh sure it wouldn't matter when it was released, its just the fact that he doesn't want people reading his work for free.

As he put it you wouldn't walk into a book shop and just read the whole book, you'd have to pay for it.

Pity the story is so crap:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

What's this now?

Santa, no more of these. You want to up your post count, do it constructively. This just ****es people off when they think there's something new in the thread, only to find a prime example of muppetry.

[This message has been edited by LoLth (edited 28-07-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

$1 for twenty pages. With *a lot* of whitespace by the way. hmmm, let me see.... NO!.

As for his 'you can't read a book in the bookstore before buying it', fair enough, but you *can* pick it up, read the reviews and synopsis on the back, maybe it'll even have a text excerpt on the flyleaf. Then, most bookstores have no problem with someone reading the first few pages. With King's fairly up and down quality (more down than up recently) a preview it really important.

I dunno. Personally, I wouldn't pay for a part of a book that might not even be finished depending of how many other people pay for it. When a book is published and shipped to a bookstore, you pay the price for the FULL text. Not just a bit (serialisations aside). In short, King has hit on a truly crap idea, and looks like he's setting out to write an equally crap story if the first part - usually the best as it acts as a hook for the rest - is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

kings website is very disappointing

Advertisement