Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good solicitor for a 1st time buyer (me).

Options
  • 07-11-2004 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

my g/f and I have approval for our mortgage, and have actually found somewhere we'd like to buy, but we're a bit puzzled about where to start with a solicitor.

I know they're all supposed to do the same job, but as with everything i'm sure there are those who just don't give a tss and will charge you through the nose without thinking twice about it.

so that's my question really.

who should I consider and who should I avoid like the plague?

we're looking around the clonsilla area, at a nice 3 bed we've spotted nestled away, and nobody else has offered, so fingers crossed.

any suggestions?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Where did you get your mortgage from?
    Some of the lenders do a deal on the solicitor fees and only charge 1,000 Euro as opposed to 2 or 3 times that in a "normal" solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Most people tend to get a solicitor from word of mouth or else one who already deals with your family. Try talking to mates or family see who they dealed with and what they thought.

As a general rule, I'd never use a "Now win, no fee" practice, I know its not for a case that you need one. I used to deal alot with a Dillon McAuley based on Kildare St. in Dublin, he was buying stuff from my shop and was in and out quite alot, I never used his services, but will when I need to, he seems very professional and a very nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hi,

I used Hayes McGrath on Baggot St when getting my first place a few months back. PM me if you'd like the name of the solicitor I dealt with.. She was very helpful and very professional.
    Might be worth giving them a bell for a quote etc..

(01)662 0700

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

I have a good solicitor that i have being using for the last few years,as he is a friend of fathers and both my parents use him.
    I purchased my property through him and have used him for a fewcourt cases and have being very happy with the results and his fees.

I paid him 1,000 plus vat for the purchase of my house,when most of them are charging 1 percent plus vat and that would work out at a hell of a lot more.
    The solicitor is enda p moran,main street celbridge co kildare.
    Dont have the no. to hand tough sorry,Phone is in the car

Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ifahey

Just bought my second house recently and we used Dermot Deane in Ballsbridge to do the conveyancing. Very competent and very cheap - does all his work on a fixed fee basis - € 850 ex vat.
    Would recommend him to anyone even if he's not the friendliest character there is but was paying for professional advice not someone to talk to !

Ph no is 6688278.
    Cheers,
    Ian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I used www.ezhome.ie to buy my first house. They're actually a mortgage brokers, but they arrange the conveyencing through a solicitor's firm for a fixed cost (€995 I believe). The solicitor we ended up using was Madigans Solicitors in Mount Argus, Dublin and I found them to be very professional and helpful. (BTW this was all 3 years ago)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 vannygirl

A friend inwork told me that Ezhome were very good when his sister bought her first house. I was going to use them but i was put off by my sister saying that it all seems too good to be true with them.
    How did it work out going with ezhome?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

vannygirl wrote:
    A friend inwork told me that Ezhome were very good when his sister bought her first house. I was going to use them but i was put off by my sister saying that it all seems too good to be true with them.

It worked out fine for me. You're still using a reputable solicitor for the conveyancing so there's no worrys there - in fact the Solicitor was very good at walking us through the process and telling us when to ignore the vendor's estate agent (who got very pushy towards the end of the contract negotiations).

One thing to note is that they arrange the house insurance and life insurance also, and the deal on these wasn't the most competitive, but it didn't really matter too much as I switched to a more competitive policy after the first year.

It might seem too good to be true, but it does actually work ;)

vannygirl wrote:

I actually worked on the website a long long time ago - the guy that was running it is a very nice guy, but I never used the service.

At that time, he really thought there was a market for this as people were being screwed by solicitors fees etc - so I would guess now that they are genuine prices and not too good to be true. However, my concern would be comeback if something goes wrong, i.e. are they as reliable as a solicitor in legal terms?

• Advertisement

stiofanD wrote:
    You're still using a reputable solicitor for the conveyancing so there's no worrys there

Ah - well that quashes my fears - so they must be good!

Advertisement