Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chilli warning

• 07-11-2004 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

May seem like the obvious but if you handle chillis... wash your hands VERY well right after... I just cooked a Thai fish dish with a chilli based sauce and forgot to wash my hands..

I blew my nose and it must have got through the tissue as my nose is burning.. i put 7up, water and even milk up my nose trying to put out the fire... :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I went to the toilet after chopping chillis and not washing my hands, that wasn't very nice either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Gordon wrote:
    I went to the toilet after chopping chillis and not washing my hands, that wasn't very nice either.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

After washing hands 4 times i went to bed, nose fire died down before that... before i get to sleep i rub my eyes and "OH MY GOD!!!!" it burns!!!! So i went downstairs after i stopped crying :D then washed my hands in ;ive natural yoghurt!! Fine after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Chilli's are the most dangerous things on the planet ... I tried a Chilli dish in Yamamori Noodles on George's Street & decided to try a bit of the chilli slices ... I nearly passed out from the pain ... The waitress had to bring me a jug of water just to put out the fire!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

You're better off firing something alcoholic in your mouth as water doesn't really break down the chilli compound. A rinsing around your mouth with a shot of vodka or something usually does the trick.

Alas I had no alcohol to hand when I suffered the same experience as Gordon. My poor knobend was in a ridiculous amount of pain. It could have been in jackass or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Coat your tongue in sugar, and try not to drool too much ;) That should put out the fire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Milk is the best antidote to eating a very hot chili dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Shamrok wrote:
    yep but has to be nice and cold! mmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Shamrok wrote:
    Yup any dairy product or sugar.. alcohol is not too great but better than water.. especially Cobra beer wich i think is designed to put out the fire in a curry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Removing all traces of chilli by washing your hands is easier said than done. I've scrubbed my hands almost raw with a nail-brush and detergent and still managed to burn the eyes out of my head by rubbing them later.

The most effective thing to do is invest in a box of cheap, plastic, disposable gloves that you can buy in Tesco for a few Euro and don't allow the chillis to come into contact with your hands at all.

Of course, there's nothing you can do about the chilli essence that can ooze from your pores the next day (if you've been too generous with the chillis). That can still sting your eyes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes, how about using chillis in a stir fry, washing hands thoroughly and several hourse before going to bed and taking out contact lenses. Thought I was going to go blind!!! I agree with the idea of the disposable gloves or in a worst case scenario, the trusty marigolds!!!

Advertisement