Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is being uploaded off my pc?

• 07-11-2004 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Im on my sisters computer atm, she is connected too UTV broadband 512k. Im on the computer 10 minutes and the internet monitor that it has says that the pc has uploaded 10MB of information.... What the hell?? How can I see what the computer is uploading? This is sure as hell not regular internet traffic, the upload speed is maxed to get that much. She says that if you leave it on overnight or so, with all applications closed, close to a GB will be uploaded...

That's not normal. Is there any sort of an internet traffic monitor that would be able to tell me just what and to where this information is going?
    She's on UTV internet, could anyone tell me what kind of firelwall/protection thy provide? This ZyXEL modem is conected VIA USB. It must be some sort of firewall, because bittorent displays the yellow ICON indicating that the connection is firewalled, when she tries to download something...

Thanks in advance... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

1gb a day, you are lucky UTV do not cap and charge extra on uploads.

I average about 10-15 mb upload a day.

AFAIK there is no firewall of any kind in the zyxel usb modems.

If you are running BT that could easily be the source of the upstream traffic.

You could also have nastys running on the system from spyware or trojans.

Install a software firewall such as zonealarm immediately, also virus checker and spyware killer software need to be used to get rid of any unwanted guests.

avg free anti virus; spybot search and destroy; ad-aware would be my choice, they are all free and can be downloaded immediately.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If she has xp why not turn on the firewall or alternately try downloading the Zonealarmfree firewall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

an app like netlimiter should show you whats leeching all your bandwidth...

John R's advice is spot on though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

John R wrote:
    1gb a day, you are lucky UTV do not cap and charge extra on uploads.

I average about 10-15 mb upload a day.

AFAIK there is no firewall of any kind in the zyxel usb modems.

If you are running BT that could easily be the source of the upstream traffic.

You could also have nastys running on the system from spyware or trojans.

Install a software firewall such as zonealarm immediately, also virus checker and spyware killer software need to be used to get rid of any unwanted guests.

avg free anti virus; spybot search and destroy; ad-aware would be my choice, they are all free and can be downloaded immediately.

No, when all applications are closed, including bittorent, it's uploading. You say 10-15MB a day?? It's just gone past 25MB!

She runs Ad-Aware and SpyBot Search And destroy egularly...

I guess the solution to this problem would be installing a firewall. ZoneAlarm, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If it is uploading close to a gigabyte overnight, and maxing out the upload, she must have some kind of malware on her PC. What anti-virus software do you have installed, and is it up to date? Also try checking for spyware, keyloggers, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

the only solution is to install a firewall app ASAP and deny internet access to everything except stuff you know is to be allowed (such as your browser).

Then run adaware/spybot and an anti-virus (latest definitions) and see what comes up. Also, list out the apps running in your CTRL-ALT-DEL menu. Theres probably a few dodgy ones there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved over to Windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you want to know exactly what is being uploaded and where it's going, install a network sniffer such as Packetyzer

Advertisement