Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Law enforcement - does it exist?

Options
  • 07-11-2004 10:58pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The thread Ireland's drivers: their worst habit got me thinking - which motoring realted law(s) if any are properly enforced* by our authorities?

* I do not believe that standing at the side of a dual carriageway catching people doing 50 in a 40 zone is proper enforcement!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

wouldn't say any
    ive passed through one checkpoint in the last 2.5 years
    seatbelt law just isnt enforced
    have you heard of anyone getting done for being on their mobile? this is understandable though because nearly every time i see a garda car the driver is on the phone, and they cant really enforce this when they are probably the worst offenders!, or are they allowed special dispensation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is'nt as safety issue but for the last 40 or so days I've been driving a van without valid road tax..not that I realised this until last Monday when I happened to glance at the display disk. The van was bought earlier this year and my boss seems to have either not noticed the renewal form arrive or that its due a DOE. Anyways I clearly hav'nt been through a checkpoint in that 40 days otherwise I'd have noticed alot sooner!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I've been driving one year, done over 25k and have been through just one checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ubu wrote:
    have you heard of anyone getting done for being on their mobile? this is understandable though because nearly every time i see a garda car the driver is on the phone, and they cant really enforce this when they are probably the worst offenders!, or are they allowed special dispensation?

Other people I've seen using using mobiles while driving include fire engine drivers, ambulance drivers, bus drivers, driving school instructors ... all supposedly professional drivers (ha!) who should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

There are few other countries across which one could drive an improperly lit, smoke-spewing, stolen, unregistered, untaxed, uninsured, car with slick tyres at excessive speed, while over the blood alcohol limit, and on the phone, in the right hand lane (when there is one) at all times, six feet from the car in front while flashing headlights, without a driving licence or a seatbelt on, while pulling a trailer overloaded with an unsecured load and have a better than reasonable chance of arriving at your destination unchallenged.

(Apologies to the grammatically correct for liberties taken above)

• Advertisement
Advertisement