Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELLO! My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father,

Options
  • 13-08-2000 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

prepare to die.....

I bought the book of the Princess Bride by William Goldman yesterday, read it today, and I want to recommend it to y'all. It's really good, very funny. It had me laughing out loud on the train to work, mostly on the parts from the film that I love the most, or on Goldman's comments and intrduction. He's a funny guy. If you like the film, then you will PROBABLY love this.

For the record, I bought the 25th year anniversary edition of the book, which had a longer introduction and some "extras" at the end of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

"AS YOU WISH"

I watched the film like 100 times, possibly more.
    The film was fantastic, and I would recommend it to anyone.
    With the exception of Fred Savage it was very well done.
    I used to watch it when i was younger, like every day i stayed at home sick from primary school. Childish i know, but i dont care :P

"I POISONED THEM BOTH"

What a class film. So many good memories. Thanks for reminding me of it MC (short for metalchicken since thats too long to type. DOH! what did I typt THAT for??!? )

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Great film - I loved it smile.gif

I shall go forth and find that book and I shall read and I shall laugh and I shall enjoy and then I shall probably go to sleep smile.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

that film is truely a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

My brother has that addition too. Sweeet..

Say hello to my little friend !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

omg, same as me smile.gif
    i have seen that film more than any other. i used to watch it over and over when i was small and i had it memorised. you're bang on paladin. fred savage annoyed me a bit too. aaaaaah, so funny as well - the giant rhyming... the priest's sermon about "mawige".
    ah, the shrieking eels... ah, the memories smile.gif
    must watch it again.
    i never read the book.
    inconceivable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

YOU MUST READ THE BOOK!!!

It was good, I thought. I watched the film again last night for the 14 millionth time, god it's good smile.gif

I fancy trying the sequel to the book now, Buttercup's baby, but I dont know where to find it frown.gif Bah!

And Paladin, as you wish?? Aww, didnt know you cared
    lol biggrin.gif
    (only kidding. and btw I would have guessed the MC bit smile.gif )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

and you will be happy to know it's now out on DVD (at least in the US this week). Watched it last night. No extras thou except the trailer frown.gif

There are so many cool quotes in the movie it's hard to choose.

"Hold on! This is a kissing book! Where's the sports?"

"Strange, I wonder if he is using the same wind we are?"

"You made the most fatal mistake. Never get into a battle with Sicilian when death is on the line!.. hahahahaha...." *THUD*

"There is something you should know, I'm not left handed either"

"Now we fight to the death!"
    "No to the Pain!"
    "Sorry I don't believe I know that one."

"I know it sounded like 'true love' but it was in fact 'too bluff' which is what every card player does." (about Billy Crystals only really good role)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Have just started reading this excellent book, but just wonder who is S. Morgenstern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Speaking of William Goldman, i spent the weekend reading his book, Which Lie Did I Tell ? Its brilliant. If you have any asperations of becoming a filmmaker, this is your only man. He also talks about Writing The Princess Bride. There was a poignant moment where he cried, balled his eyes out after he killed Wesley, only realising what he had done after he read it back to himself.Anyway, just thought i should mention it.

Say hello to my little friend !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭metalchicken

cool, cheers for mentioning that. I was looking for some other books by him, but I couldn't find any. Have managed to track that one down, so me is gonna buy it when me has money smile.gif

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

The Countess was still staring at Westley! :D
    I was so unbelievably p*ssed that Buttercup's Baby wasn't a real book!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Have always meant to read the book, must get around to it someday.

In the meantime, this site keeps me amused occasionally when I'm having a bad day in work:

http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/princess.shtml

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Read the book twice.
    Watched the film countless times.

Anybody want a peanut?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Ha, ha - welll ye all missed it - we did a full review of the book last night at the book club in Cork.... Loved every part of it except of Goldman's comments... anyone else think Buttercup was a sap?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

:D
    fav film,
    also loved men in tights
    but nowwhere close

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Deer wrote:
    Ha, ha - welll ye all missed it - we did a full review of the book last night at the book club in Cork.... Loved every part of it except of Goldman's comments... anyone else think Buttercup was a sap?
    But Goldman's comments are what make the book! It's brilliant.

Though I too have to say that
    I was awfully disappointed when I found out the Buttercup's Baby wasn't a real book after those tantalising bits at the end of the edition of the Princess Bride I read. (25th edition)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Deer wrote:
    Loved every part of it except of Goldman's comments.
    The "comments" are the real story.

The 25th anniversary edition has more comments, which makes for fun reading - I loved the bit about his wife leaving him on the date of the premiere of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Manach wrote:
    Have just started reading this excellent book, but just wonder who is S. Morgenstern?
    No such person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Absolutely fantastic book!

I remember reading American Psycho not long after reading Princess Bride, and in psycho Ellis goes into great detail about some things, can't remember the details, but I think it was things like Bateman getting ready for the day, and Ellis would go into detail about grooming and the perfect way to shave, and it always reminded me of the bits Goldman said he cut out of Princess Bride for being too boring ( such as the queen packing, unpacking,and repacking).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Talliesin wrote:
    No such person

I remember being unsure of this before ... I kinda knew ... but wasn't 100% sure, and I remember checking an atlas to see if there was a Florin or Gildur somewhere that I'd missed, just in case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I was so confused when I started this(I got the 25th anniversary edition) becaue of the introductions. Class book though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Deer wrote:
    This thread is 6 years old!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Illkillya wrote:
    This thread is 6 years old!

I know! Aren't I great for using Search and whatnot?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

Oh my! i read this book so many times that it has fallen apart!
    such a brilliant book, and the film, is such a guilty pleasure.

im nineteen and would still gladly watch it, my heart jumping when wesley says as you wish.

*sigh*

Advertisement