Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another spyware Q

• 07-11-2004 11:29pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭

my father's pc (win 98) is suffering from a browser hijack piece of spyware. The homepage in MSIE is about:blank but loads a page of links from dcme.dll. AdAware removes a number of browser hijack items but can't seem to clear this chap.
    A registy hack to remove the reference to dsme.dll didn't do anything (the value just came back!).
    Googling didn't help
    Anyone come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Haven't come across this particular one.
    Have you run the scan in safe mode?
    Turned off system restore as they can hide there?

I would try spysweeper
    http://www.webroot.com/products/spysweeper/?rc=648&ac=adw02ss
    I've found it to be better than adaware
    Between them they get a lot of the crap.

Also close browser and explorer windows during the scan.

RKM.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

D'oh - didn't think of going into safe mode!
    Will try both ideas next time Im round there.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went into safe mode and nothing would get rid of it so went into regedit and deleted all references to dcme.dll (was happy enough doing this given that I caouldn't find any references to it on the net). Anyway, I was then able to delete the file in question (in C:\windows\system).
    Ran a number of spyware checks and virus checks and all seems to be fine now.
    Cheers
    K.

Advertisement