Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King / Salem's Lot

Options
  • 23-08-2000 10:21am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last night I finished reading "Salem's Lot", the second SK book that I've read in the last month, "Christine"(a car that goes around killing people!) being the other one.

Why is it that people call him the greatest horror writer?...I find him interesting but by no means the best, Peter F.Hamilton would be my nominee.

I cannot understand the way people get so scared from reading this kind of gore, it's all physcial and bloody, etc....reall horror is physcological...I'd go as far as saying that "The Beach" or "Lord of the Flies" would be more of a horror than "Salem's Lot"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i read and enjoy most of his books but i have only ever been remotely scared and that was in the shinning where the caretaker is in the room with the corpse in the bathtub and he suddenly starts ****tin himself for no apparent reason.
    anyway he starts to leave and the next paragraph is him feeling like something was after him. total physcological horror. and the best bit in any of his books.

Also...
    he gets described as "the master of horror" or whatever by the publishers who read vampires and ghosts and low men in yellow coats and see that as being instantly horror. most of his recent books have been more about relationships with just a bit of weirdness thrown in.
    his next book anyway is a non-ficition "part autobiographical, part how-to book on the craft of writing"

damned if this isn't the longest post i've ever written biggrin.gif

Yossarian Lives
    PD Rank - Dangerous: 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Stephen King is an excellent author - his non-horror books like Misery are pure class - but a completely useless horror writer. He loses it all in the final stretch - develops great characters, and an interesting storyline, and then 100 pages from the end it turns out that a giant prehistoric spider or an overgrown dung-beetle or something is responsible for it all; the horror story equivalent of a primary school kid putting "and then I woke up and it was all a dream!" at the end of an essay. Cop out. This sucks, and ruins most of his books...

Ja,
    Rob

Advertisement