Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shameful debating.

Options
  • 08-11-2004 3:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi there. This is only my second post (the first was a trial) so I hope I'm entering it in the right section.

I've been observing chatrooms and poster boards since the US election campaigns have gotten under way and the results came out. Like everyone else I've noticed the shocking amount of mis-information put forward by both sides and am appalled by it. Pro-Kerry people throw out figures about dead Iraqi's like confetti at a wedding. Pro-Bush people spout about how the world is being saved from the hugely fictitious 'War on Terror'. Very few people actually weigh up both sides and form intelligent opinions.

I've reluctantly accepted that people lie to advance their point of view no matter how righteous they think they are and that their minds nearly explode when someone suggests that they might be wrong. I've observed adults being mocked when they point out that their kids could not understand why a proven liar wins again and their (the adults) friends say arrogantly 'oooh..what about the kids, who'll think of the kids.' Those same mockers then ponder why they were left out of their own parents decision-making. Its very sad.

I think the pro-Kerry and pro-Bush people have behaved disgracefully. Constant lying, false statistics, links to bull**** and counter-links to same. That is really all I want to say. The vast majority has behaved poorly and shown no decency whatsoever secure in the knowledge that they can post a stupid link regardless of its source, all with a view to enhancing their argument.

My question is simple: whatever happened principle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=99

the above link is the correct forum for this topic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=21

or maybe that one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Merelyme wrote:
    My question is simple: whatever happened principle?
    It took second place to success.

There's no benefit in being an unsuccessful, but principled, politician/party.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Merelyme wrote:
    I think the pro-Kerry and pro-Bush people have behaved disgracefully. Constant lying, false statistics, links to bull**** and counter-links to same. That is really all I want to say. The vast majority has behaved poorly and shown no decency whatsoever secure in the knowledge that they can post a stupid link regardless of its source, all with a view to enhancing their argument.

*Yawn*

If you have a problem with a persons post/thread then post a rebuttal to it showing how it is wrong. People here are required to post to links here not to show if they are right or wrong, but to see where they are getting their information wrong.

Someone might post to a news link on Fox News, Pravada or Whatreallyhappened. They may believe what they post but it allows the others to refute or research more.

Generally whining about it serves no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Merelyme

Hobbes wrote:
    *Yawn*

If you have a problem with a persons post/thread then post a rebuttal to it showing how it is wrong. People here are required to post to links here not to show if they are right or wrong, but to see where they are getting their information wrong.

Someone might post to a news link on Fox News, Pravada or Whatreallyhappened. They may believe what they post but it allows the others to refute or research more.

Generally whining about it serves no purpose.

Well you may yawn because you missed my whole point. I am a brand new member and so have no issues with any poster. That gem of irrelevance was for you.

The point I'm pondering or even making is that there is so much nonsense being spouted (everywhere, not just here) that I struggle to see who or what is telling the truth. If 'principle' was still in existence I doubt if this kind of debating would exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

The current prominence of misinformation in political campaigning is not the fault of principle-less politicians but rather an ignorant electorate. Many people, perhaps inspired by the barrage of “get-out-and-vote” cries from the similarly ignorant though perhaps well-meaning popular personalities feel the need to “have their say”. Even though, it would seem, they have nothing to say. Politicians and campaigners are intelligent enough to take advantage of this, they know that there’s a vote out there and if they don’t get it they wont win. People don’t know what they want, they probably don’t care about or couldn’t comprehend the subtle differences in the opposing politicians policies, all they know is “I’ve got a vote and I’ve got to use it!” So they are bombarded claims and counter-claims, rumour, much style but no substance. Leaders (especially the likes of GW Bush to take your example) do have principles, they create policy & make tough decisions based upon them. It is correct though that they are not elected on the basis of their principles nor their political ideal. If we do want to elect good leaders we must recognise that maybe our vote, our voice is not important. The important voices belong to those who educate themselves on the political situation and vote according to their own principles. If it where only those voices making noise perhaps we could hear the real issues, discuss politics intelligently and make the right decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Merelyme wrote:
    Well you may yawn because you missed my whole point. I am a brand new member and so have no issues with any poster. That gem of irrelevance was for you.

If you are a brand new member, how pray tell did you come to your conclusion.

Notice I mention POST not poster. After re-reading your post again it may apply to every webboard in general, which I don't believe is true. Certainly not of here. If you think otherwise, as I said refute the posts and don't whine about it.
    that I struggle to see who or what is telling the truth.

That is what researching what people are telling you is for and not just taking everything at face value.

Advertisement