Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolkienesque Fantasy

Options
  • 29-07-2000 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Is there any author who writes books which even vaguely resemble tolkiens style? ie they are not just full of sword fights and dialogue. I remember reading the blurb on one of the Wheel of Time books, where it said jordan had mastered tolkiens world. That was the most far fetched thing I have ever read on a blurb. I don't mean a rehash of his books either, just something with a little more imagination than the norm. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've just recommended Feist's Magician to Jimi Spandex in another post. It's a good read and there's loads of books in the series if you fancy reading more.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    My page of stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Pretence

The closest I've come to is Terry Brooks, "Shannara" series.

The initial triology are the best:

The Sword of Shannara
    The Elfstones of Shannara
    The Wishsong of Shannara

There are more but these are the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

i haven't read any fantasy author whos style is really similar to tolkien. there are loads of others who do good books and stuff, but the style is completely different. His stuff is like a history book, like older books, and he spent most of his life writing his books. That is what makes them different from the others. The sword of shannara is trying to be tolkien - i think it was terry brooks' first book, and he has toned down since then, but its like he was attempting to write another LOTR. the style i would have to say is completely different. there are loads of ones that are not just full of sword fights and dialogue, but they're still not like tolkien's style - like Steven R Donaldson.

Tolkien's style exaggerated is in the Silmarilion, and i haven't read any book like it. I don't think there is/will be any book like it either.

the only fantasy author whos style comes close to tolkiens imo is Feists - because it is like he is actually telling the story as it happened. he doesn't make it seem as much like a history book as tolkien does. That is why some ppl think feist is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

wheel of time series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Aye Shannara like pretence says....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

How about trying fantasy with a slight twist.
    There are works by Charles deLint which effectly merge present day with ancient myth or by James Blaylock which are weird and whimisical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Stephen Donaldson authored "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent, The Unbeleiver"

These six books are the most incredible fantasy books I've read since Tolkien, the author manages to create a land more mystical, magical and most importantly beleiveable than Tolkien himself, and has, by many critics been placed above Tolkien in many aspects of literary writing.

Everyone who ever even remotely enjoyed 'Da Rings', HAS to read Donaldson's Chronicles.

also, if your that bit older now (which I'm sure all of us are!), The Chronicles are more realistic and true to form/life. In other words, they're not kids books.

Check them out, you'll thank me biggrin.gif

Lucutus of Borg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ya - they're like Gullivers travels in the way they're so much more than regular fantasy. Like, its all psychological stuff, with his leprosy and things, all parallels and symbolism and stuff. still good though, the first 3 were anyway - the second 3 were good, but very miserible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Odder than Tolkien, with their own distinctive yet comparable style, are Brian Aldiss' Helliconia trilogy; Helliconia Spring, Helliconia Summer, Helliconia Winter. Really top notch stuff, each book is set a couple of centuries after the previous one, and working out the links and so on is half the fun of reading them. No pixies or elves mind; it's as much Science Fiction as it is Fantasy, although don't worry, no spaceships or lightsabers either... Er, you'll see what I mean when you read 'em smile.gif

Ja,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yeah, the Helliconia series was excellent. Took a bit of getting used to after fantasy books, but well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

no

I warned you! But did you listen to me? Oh no, you knew it all, didn't you? Oh, its just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Helliconia = miserable & trugid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cillian_burger_queen

personally i think the gormenghast trilogy is sort of similar-ish to LOTR, in style if nothing else. It's enjoyable anyway, and not as heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

i can get the 4 lotr books on amazon for $22. is that about the best deal available would you reckon?

http://www.challenge-ie.com/columns/excelsior

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Lucutus:
    Stephen Donaldson authored "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent, The Unbeleiver"

These six books are the most incredible fantasy books I've read since Tolkien, the author manages to create a land more mystical, magical and most importantly beleiveable than Tolkien himself, and has, by many critics been placed above Tolkien in many aspects of literary writing.

Everyone who ever even remotely enjoyed 'Da Rings', HAS to read Donaldson's Chronicles.

also, if your that bit older now (which I'm sure all of us are!), The Chronicles are more realistic and true to form/life. In other words, they're not kids books.

Check them out, you'll thank me biggrin.gif

and you want to spend the entire series hating the main character and getting bored ffa you head by his inability to act.
    actaully, its abit like hamlet in fairy land smile.gif
    mind you, i am on the last book of the gap series by donaldson. id forgotten ow damn good it is.

Advertisement